BIG Gator

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Not far from where I live. Fair size gator.

Mark K

Banned
Management program? We’ve had gators since I was a kid and I’m 51 now, lol. You could probably take 100 a season out of Seminole and never notice any missing. And let’s not talk about some of our WMA’s that have quite a few and some big ones if you know where to find them. Not as big as this one, but big enough to get the heart rate up when encountered.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Don`t quote me on this, because I forgot where I heard it, but it seems like a gator gains about a foot a year till they get to about 7 or 8 feet, then their growth slows down. I know where an old bull is on Seminole that is right at 14 feet, and in 6 years, he hasn`t gained any length that I can tell.

I speck it would be safe to say that old feller above was 60 years old.

Dub

I suppose I’m too slow of a runner to be bank fishing around those parts. :rofl:

BornToHuntAndFish

Massive 700-pound gator found in Georgia

0d8b8f19-7ce6-438c-a34b-9430d5f423ac_750x422.png

13 feet 4 inches long and weighed approximately 700 pounds

The largest alligator ever recorded during Georgia’s alligator hunting season was 14 feet long. It was found in Lake Walter F. George and harvested in 2015.

heaviest alligator that was hunted in 2011 was 860 pounds and 13 feet 4 inches long

Ya'll sure do grow 'em big down there.

21-seconds
Is it real? Officials say this massive Georgia gator definitely is
11Alive

This 13 foot 4 inch alligator was found in an irrigation ditch off of Lake Blackshear in Sumter County, Georgia.

https://www.cordeledispatch.com/2019/02/28/dnr-viral-gator-pic-is-no-hoax/

Thursday, February 28, 2019

“Apparently a lot of people think it’s fake, but I can assure you that it is not,” said Brent Howze, a DNR wildlife biologist who works out of the agency’s regional office in Albany. “I’m the one in the picture, and you can probably tell that I didn’t get too close to it.”

chest girth of 57 inches

http://www.walb.com/2019/03/02/no-its-not-hoax-massive-alligator-found-southwest-ga/

SUMTER COUNTY, GA (WALB) - An alligator picture that was shared more than 1,000 times on social media proves to be more than just a hoax.

The gator was picked up by about three people Monday on the West side of Lake Blackshear off Stathem Lakefront Road in Sumter County.

A farmer called DNR after finding it in an irrigation ditch.

DNR believes the gator may have been 50 years old but researches are working to find the exact age.

He’d been in the ditch for about a week. It’s not common for gators to stay in a spot that long. He was found in poor condition and was believed to be dying, so he had to be euthanized.

“Once we got him on bank and could assess him, we noticed he had several injuries including previous gunshot wounds,” said Howze.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/giant-alligator-found-in-lake-blackshear-flint-river-georgia/

Brent Howze, a Wildlife Biologist with the Wildlife Resources Division of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, confirmed to CBS News that the gator was, in fact, real. Howze received a call from a farmer who found the alligator in an irrigation ditch. He originally expected the animal to be 10 or 11 feet long, but was shocked by its size when he arrived with two other DNR wildlife technicians, Graham Rhone and Owen Jenkins.

gator3.jpg

:eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

Mark K

Banned
The ONLY reason I’d agree with the above comment is I wish some gator hunter could have gotten lucky with a definite gator of a lifetime. Other than that, I hate gators.

Blackston

Dinosaur. Have ya ever come up on one that was longer than the creek is wide When ya ease by him in the boat ?

Swamprat

Swamprat
Friend of mine raises gators and traps nuisance gators and he said that gator was well over 50 years old.

turkeykirk

I’ve definitely come across some where the saying, “I need a bigger boat.” comes to mind!

From the looks and size of that gator it looks like it needed a bigger creek.:biggrin3:

Dub

From the looks and size of that gator it looks like it needed a bigger creek.:biggrin3:

Imagine walking up on that 'un on your way to/from your deer/hog stand.......I'd likely be fumbling around like Barney Fife trying to shuck my revolver, lol. I don't have a running gear and I'm too clumsy to walk backwards.....so it'd be an interesting predicament.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Big boy for sure. Shame.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Don`t quote me on this, because I forgot where I heard it, but it seems like a gator gains about a foot a year till they get to about 7 or 8 feet, then their growth slows down. I know where an old bull is on Seminole that is right at 14 feet, and in 6 years, he hasn`t gained any length that I can tell.

I speck it would be safe to say that old feller above was 60 years old.

I've heard the exact same thing. A foot a year til 8 or so. I know where a bigun's at on Seminole too and hope he's still there come September.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I've heard the exact same thing. A foot a year til 8 or so. I know where a bigun's at on Seminole too and hope he's still there come September.

If he`s not, holler at me and I`ll tell you where three more are.

Ihunt

Had to be dispatched because of poor health. Well....maybe. Or maybe they all wanted some Gator nuggets. While I wasn’t there he didn’t look sick to me. He was old. Maybe he was just cold and lazy. Don’t most of us old timers know how he may have felt?