Biological Question?

across the river

I 100% agree it takes money to manage wildlife, I spend plenty of it. Let me clarify. When I wrote that post, I was thinking back to my younger days when all the gimmicks weren't involved. IMHO it was more "pure" back then but thanks for calling me out....

And you don't think big business has something to do with the 12 deer tags we have per person???
I think in the nineties you had 1.5 to 2 million deer in the state and places were over run with deer. People hammered the bucks and doe days were limited, so in most of the state you had tons of does to one buck and most bucks were low in age class. The tags were increased to 7 then a limit of 12 with very liberal doe days. I think the DNR accomplished what they wanted and got the population down. Do I think there are places or tracts of land that have been over harvested and can't recover because of hunting pressure, lack of habitat, and coyote pressure, yes. But overall the deer heard is way healthier and balanced now that in was in 1990. Just look at the age and number of mature bucks killed now compared to 20 or 30 years ago. If I have said once I have said it 1000 times, the 12 deer limit has absolutely nothing to do will people not seeing deer because 99% don't come close to killing 12 and most don't kill 2. It is the 10 people hunting 300 acres all trying to kill one or two that is the problem. People need to quit blaming the insurance companies and realize most places can't survive one hunter per 25 acres even if the limit was one.

Cool Hand Luke

I think in the nineties you had 1.5 to 2 million deer in the state and places were over run with deer. People hammered the bucks and doe days were limited, so in most of the state you had tons of does to one buck and most bucks were low in age class. The tags were increased to 7 then a limit of 12 with very liberal doe days. I think the DNR accomplished what they wanted and got the population down. Do I think there are places or tracts of land that have been over harvested and can't recover because of hunting pressure, lack of habitat, and coyote pressure, yes. But overall the deer heard is way healthier and balanced now that in was in 1990. Just look at the age and number of mature bucks killed now compared to 20 or 30 years ago. If I have said once I have said it 1000 times, the 12 deer limit has absolutely nothing to do will people not seeing deer because 99% don't come close to killing 12 and most don't kill 2. It is the 10 people hunting 300 acres all trying to kill one or two that is the problem. People need to quit blaming the insurance companies and realize most places can't survive one hunter per 25 acres even if the limit was one.

I am not complaining nor did I ever mention deer population although Georgia has never hit the 1.5 or 2 million mark. Pretty sure it was at an all time high in 1998 with about 1.4 and has decreased but stabilized since. This thread is about managing wildlife for the benefit of our deer herd or hunter satisfaction. The DNR has done an exceptional job with research and implementation of programs and when QDM was introduced in the early 90's, hunters began to realized what a valuable resource we have to maintain. Every member in my club could have easily limited out last season but we choose not to.

across the river

I am not complaining nor did I ever mention deer population although Georgia has never hit the 1.5 or 2 million mark. Pretty sure it was at an all time high in 1998 with about 1.4 and has decreased but stabilized since. This thread is about managing wildlife for the benefit of our deer herd or hunter satisfaction. The DNR has done an exceptional job with research and implementation of programs and when QDM was introduced in the early 90's, hunters began to realized what a valuable resource we have to maintain. Every member in my club could have easily limited out last season but we choose not to.

Sorry, I didn't go look it up, and I am not on here to argue deer numbers. The DNR didn't actually count them, so 1.4 verses 1.5+ is negligible in my opinion. My point is, there were way more deer in the 90's than there are now, but that doesn't mean the herd was healthier then. You said "Sad thing is, big business and money is involved. Not pure anymore.....", and then mentioned the insurance companies in the next thread. I was responding to that. What isn't pure anymore? What has money corrupted. I would say on a whole, the herd is in better shape, the doe to buck ratio is in better shape, and the average deer age is higher now than it has ever been.

Cool Hand Luke

Sorry, I didn't go look it up, and I am not on here to argue deer numbers. The DNR didn't actually count them, so 1.4 verses 1.5+ is negligible in my opinion. My point is, there were way more deer in the 90's than there are now, but that doesn't mean the herd was healthier then. You said "Sad thing is, big business and money is involved. Not pure anymore.....", and then mentioned the insurance companies in the next thread. I was responding to that. What isn't pure anymore? What has money corrupted. I would say on a whole, the herd is in better shape, the doe to buck ratio is in better shape, and the average deer age is higher now than it has ever been.

I think you need to scroll up and re-read MY post. If I need to explain to you my heart felt feelings about how deer hunting has changed since my youth....

bullgator

I think there’s a parallel with the two. What’s good for the deer is good for the sportsman.

across the river

I think you need to scroll up and re-read MY post. If I need to explain to you my heart felt feelings about how deer hunting has changed since my youth....

I read everything you posted. You mentioned big money first. Then you went on the next post talking about your youth and all the gimmicks with a tidbits in there about insurance companies. Sorry, if I wasn't able to piece it all together.

I agree that there is more "money" tied up in land, leases, tractors, food plots, and so on than there was 30 years ago. There is also a lot more hunting stuff or "gimmicks" available, but like I said that isn't all bad. I'm not a fan of some of it, but I think the deer herd is probably in better shape now overall than it has ever been.
Regarding the "gimmicks", you don't have to use any off them personally, so Im not sure how hunting would be less "pure" now for you that it was when you were a kid. The great thing about hunting is you can approach it however you want. You can horn hunt, meat hunt, hunt for years to never even shoot a deer by choice, or anything in-between. I hear people over and over talk about how money and business has "ruined hunting" or as you put it"made it "less pure." I just don't get it. I killed a pile of deer as a kid sitting by a tree in blue jeans and a sweatshirt with a 30/30 I got from grandfather. Nothing is preventing me from hunting just like than now if I so choose. It can be just as "pure" for me now as it was 30 years ago. How I hunt is my choice. I just don't understand why some people think it is a big deal if other people don't choose to hunt the same way.

Cool Hand Luke

I read everything you posted. You mentioned big money first. Then you went on the next post talking about your youth and all the gimmicks with a tidbits in there about insurance companies. Sorry, if I wasn't able to piece it all together.

I agree that there is more "money" tied up in land, leases, tractors, food plots, and so on than there was 30 years ago. There is also a lot more hunting stuff or "gimmicks" available, but like I said that isn't all bad. I'm not a fan of some of it, but I think the deer herd is probably in better shape now overall than it has ever been.
Regarding the "gimmicks", you don't have to use any off them personally, so Im not sure how hunting would be less "pure" now for you that it was when you were a kid. The great thing about hunting is you can approach it however you want. You can horn hunt, meat hunt, hunt for years to never even shoot a deer by choice, or anything in-between. I hear people over and over talk about how money and business has "ruined hunting" or as you put it"made it "less pure." I just don't get it. I killed a pile of deer as a kid sitting by a tree in blue jeans and a sweatshirt with a 30/30 I got from grandfather. Nothing is preventing me from hunting just like than now if I so choose. It can be just as "pure" for me now as it was 30 years ago. How I hunt is my choice. I just don't understand why some people think it is a big deal if other people don't choose to hunt the same way.

Talk about blowing things out of proportion. I couldn't care less how you hunt.
Let it go...

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE

This lone post really sums it up for me.
When I hit the woods wildlife will travel back in time for me if I let it and stays that way until I walk back out to the road again.
It barely takes a dollar or two to kill a deer.
The price is all in the glamping you choose.

across the river

Talk about blowing things out of proportion. I couldn't care less how you hunt.
Let it go...

I'm not blowing anything out of proportion. Dude, you posted something on an open forum. That opens it for comments, opinions, and the like. People have discussions. That is what this thing is here for. You said big money had ruined it (paraphrasing), I disagreed, asked how, and explained my point on the matter. You said it wasn't pure because of the gimmicks, and it wasn't like it was when you were a kid. I said you you could still hunt exactly like you did as a kid, which you can, and not use any gimmicks. You are now defensive, and say "I couldn't care less how you hunt." I never said you did, I just didn't understand why you couldn't hunt like you wanted to. I clearly state that I don't care how anyone else hunts, and what makes it great is people can hunt anyway they choose. They can spend big money or spend very little money. They can use gimmicks or not use gimmicks. They can hunt for horns or shoot shoot button bucks. Having the ability to hunt as you like is what makes the sport great. However, in all of this, you have still not answered how "big money" has ruined hunting, which is what I asked to begin with. That is fine, I don't need an answer. I was simply trying to have a discussion on the subject. I had no idea feelings would be involved, sorry.

I’ve noticed not one person who is big on feeding programs has commented on this one. I think you stepped on their toes like a preacher to a prostitute. I will always do my best to help nature and livestock. Good thread.

Mark K

Banned
Could’ve swore I commented. Feeding programs vary, some throw and some grow. It all benefits the wildlife. If it didn’t I doubt the plantations would spend up to $100K a year on feed and plots.
I also said cater to the sportsman, they are actually what “buys” the wildlife habitat. Sportsman dollars do more for wildlife than any other group out there. How much do you think the trail riders and bird watchers spend per year? Look at the other threads of the improvements people are doing on land they don’t even own. Sportsman are where it all starts. You don’t think Uncle Sam is gonna roll out that kind of money do you?

Could’ve swore I commented. Feeding programs vary, some throw and some grow. It all benefits the wildlife. If it didn’t I doubt the plantations would spend up to $100K a year on feed and plots.
I also said cater to the sportsman, they are actually what “buys” the wildlife habitat. Sportsman dollars do more for wildlife than any other group out there. How much do you think the trail riders and bird watchers spend per year? Look at the other threads of the improvements people are doing on land they don’t even own. Sportsman are where it all starts. You don’t think Uncle Sam is gonna roll out that kind of money do you?

A lot of people do spend money improving habitat for wildlife, but the ones throwing out feed in a trough just pumping the protein to their antlers are hurting the deer without knowing it. They’re developing a dumb herd that knows to stay close to the wormy feed trough.

Mark K

Banned
A lot of people do spend money improving habitat for wildlife, but the ones throwing out feed in a trough just pumping the protein to their antlers are hurting the deer without knowing it. They’re developing a dumb herd that knows to stay close to the wormy feed trough.
Your deer must be different than my deer. I wish they would gorge on it, but they don’t. They come in, get a few bites and move on. They do spend a little longer when it’s extremely cold.
And it’s about the same with corn. There’s certain times of the year they will feed under the oaks and not even touch the feeder. Saw 19 deer in one sit and 2 came to the feeder. Some fed on acorns, some fed on the privet, and some just came through to check out what the others were doing.
From your comment I’d guess you’ve never actually hunted near a feeder to see how deer actually feed, lol. If it was how everyone thinks it is all our deer would weigh 300# and score 200”.

Mark K

Banned
Late summer maybe, too much going in in the Spring that’s good for them and they know it. Thats why they’ll walk through corn to get to acorns. We didn’t have much of a winter and with all the rain there’s already green everywhere that’s making burning tough. Good news is the late Fall clover looks good.

Mark K

Banned
Gotcha. They may flock to it then. Down here our pines have beauty berry, partridge pea, some ragweed, etc...
I always put my feeders near natural food sources like oaks or fields of ragweed. Plus our County is full of Ag fields as well. Never a demand for any one thing from the deer. Feeders, while hoping to help out some, are just meant to keep the deer in the area. They are normally placed on travel routes already. Just gives them a little something extra. Different scenarios for different parts of the State.
I don’t get pics of turkeys at feeders, but they flock to them apparently in other parts of the State.

Latest posts