I got me a hog leg

Hillbilly stalker

I ran across a deal on this baby yesterday that I just couldn't pass up. Lord knows I love a Ruger, and especially a .44. I ordered me a Hoage grip because of the square trigger guard. I know she's gonna buck with some hunting rounds in her. First Super Black hawk I've owned. I can shoot the iron sights with reading glasss on, but that's not practical while hunting. Any advice ,pro vs con ,on a red dot vs scope ?image.jpeg

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
You can swap out that trigger guard I believe. Fine looking revolver.

Gator89

Yes, the grip frame can be changed.

Nice blaster, I bought one of those and a 41 to boot off a feller last year.

There is a member on the Ruger forum that sells a red dot mount the uses the holes for the factory sights to screw onto a Blackhawk. Great mount, I have one.

Enjoy.

Hillbilly stalker

Yes, the grip frame can be changed.

Nice blaster, I bought one of those and a 41 to boot off a feller last year.

There is a member on the Ruger forum that sells a red dot mount the uses the holes for the factory sights to screw onto a Blackhawk. Great mount, I have one.

Enjoy.
You have his name ? Does it take a high dollar red dot to handle the recoil ?

Gator89

I will dig his name up for you this evening. I have a Burris FF, but I think you could find a sight in the $100 to $150 range that would work. Any sight that can handle the recoil on a shotgun should work on a handgun. My favorite sights are Trijicons, no batteries needed, but they cost about the same as a Blackhawk.

AceOfTheBase

On the red-dot vs scope, depends on, if you really need magnification of a scope.
The red-dot is way more forgiving for eye relief and eye placement,
which means faster targeting.
The dot appears to be in focus at target distance, no reading glasses needed.
I have the Sig Romeo5 on a 6" 357 (686+) and love it.
Its a 2 moa dot with motion activated power-up.
Have same red-dot on a buckmark, 12 ga semi and a 16" AR, all good.

bany

I put a scope on my redhawk and I’m pretty sure I won’t use it stalking pigs. Too much going on in the bush!

Reactions: Dub

hambone76

I had a Blackhawk 44 with a B-Square mount that used the rear sight screw hole. I had a cheaper red dot on it initially, but it would not hold up to the recoil. Buy once, cry once and go with a Burris Fastfire 3, Leupold Deltapoint or Trijicon RMR.

blt152

For years I hunted with a S&W 629. I like the Ultra Dot 30mm red dot sights. I have never had one lose zero. I have one on my Turkey gun right now. Nice pistol.