Bear Hunting with dogs on Public lands during archery season

Limbbaconeer

Hey guys, Everyone may be aware of this, and I don't want to get into an online fight over the merits of this. But this will affect my favorite way of hunting in N. Ga. I suspect some other folks on here feel the same way. I can't attend any of the public meetings. You can mail or email your opinions to:

If you are unable to attend one of the meetings you can submit comments via email or USPS:

Written statements should be mailed to: GA DNR/Wildlife Resources Division/Game Management Section; Attn: Tina Johannsen; 2067 U.S. Highway 278, S.E.; Social Circle, Georgia 30025.

gm.comments@dnr.ga.gov

Input must be received by close of business (4:30 p.m.) on April 26, 2019.

strothershwacker

Yes. And if you can attend the meeting is tomorrow nite 7pm 4/15/19 at the civic center in Gainesville. Show up & speak up. If not your giving up a week of bow season on 2 WMAs. You may say you don't hunt those anyway..... but if it goes thru it may be "your" WMA next year!

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
When the crossbow discussion came up for inclusion into archery season, I spoke out against it but the dice had already been cast by the lobbyists of the crossbow industry with the DNR upper echelon. I was told the DNR had to include everyone that had a desire to hunt and not to discriminate against anyone with their chosen style of hunting. It will pass because of the nonhunting populace that are complaining. Not because of dog owners wanting to hunt bear.

Limbbaconeer

At least send an email! They do listen. At the initial public meetings a dozen or so pro dog folks were at the meetings. No one was there speaking against it.

dutchman

I went to the public meeting in Gainesville back in the winter when they were gathering public opinion about the 2019-2021 regulations.

There were approximately 50 people there that got on the agenda to speak about any hunting related matter that cared about. The VAST MAJORITY were dog men asking for opportunity to hunt with their dogs on public land.

Click the link to go to the proposed regs changes. Looks like the bear hunts with dogs take place on only two mountain WMAs with a pretty small quota (Chattahoochee - 9, Chestatee - 6). No dates were mentioned.

https://georgiawildlife.com/sites/default/files/wrd/pdf/regulations/Public Notice_Proposed Amendments to Hunting Regulations_Chapter 391-4-2_2019.pdf

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
I went to the public meeting in Gainesville back in the winter when they were gathering public opinion about the 2019-2021 regulations.

There were approximately 50 people there that got on the agenda to speak about any hunting related matter that cared about. The VAST MAJORITY were dog men asking for opportunity to hunt with their dogs on public land.

Click the link to go to the proposed regs changes. Looks like the bear hunts with dogs take place on only two mountain WMAs with a pretty small quota (Chattahoochee - 9, Chestatee - 6). No dates were mentioned.

https://georgiawildlife.com/sites/default/files/wrd/pdf/regulations/Public Notice_Proposed Amendments to Hunting Regulations_Chapter 391-4-2_2019.pdf

If you continue down to page 84 below the changes are outlined with dates. The proposed hunts would remove more than 2 weeks (roughly 33%) of the season..

Screenshot_2019-04-15-13-07-37.png

dutchman

Yep. I quit too soon with my reading...

So, why do you guys think that the WRD chose Chattahoochee and Chestatee as the WMAs to give the bear hunters with dogs this opportunity? I have a feeling that it could be that these two WMAs have been under utilized by bowhunters for the past few seasons. Just a guess.

Last edited:

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Yep. I quit too soon with my reading...

So, why do you guys think that the WRD chose Chattahoochee and Chestatee as the WMAs to give the bear hunters with dogs this opportunity? I have a feeling that it could be that these two WMAs have been under utilized by bowhunters for the past few seasons. Just a guess.

No idea. On p.7 it says 'responsive to public desire'

j_seph

Hey guys, Everyone may be aware of this, and I don't want to get into an online fight over the merits of this. But this will affect my favorite way of hunting in N. Ga.
By not allowing it or accepting also affects those whose way is this kind of hunting that has not been allowed to do their way of hunting at all.

j_seph

At least send an email! They do listen. At the initial public meetings a dozen or so pro dog folks were at the meetings. No one was there speaking against it.
From text I recieved yesterday they will probably be more than that at this one. Houndsman are like a band of brothers that stick together. Have to respect their unity.

dutchman

This is a good thread. We need more like it in this particular forum.