Where to source flies?

Coenen

For those of you that don't tie your own, is there a "best" place or places to buy them? I don't do a ton of fly fishing, and after throwing junk for a couple seasons, I feel pretty confident about a couple of patterns that I want to stock up on. TIA!

PappyHoel

Cableas has a lot but the above links are cheaper

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Caylor Custom Flies. You cannot get flies of that quality for that price anywhere. I don't think I can tie them myself for what he charges, and he's a good tier. He also ties patterns that work well here.
A lot of the flies from those cheap fly sites are junk and will fall apart on the first or second fish.

pjciii

Try a local fly shop. Makes it much easier to get Intel on the bite and where. Need to keep the local guys in business and they are only a few cents more.

Patrick

whitetailfreak

Caylor Custom Flies. You cannot get flies of that quality for that price anywhere. I don't think I can tie them myself for what he charges, and he's a good tier. He also ties patterns that work well here.
A lot of the flies from those cheap fly sites are junk and will fall apart on the first or second fish.

Talked to him a few weeks ago, and he said he's not physically able to tie like he used to, and is now just selling through current inventory. I got a dozen yell Palmer's, dozen thunderheads, and a dozen Parachute Adams at $8/dozen.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Talked to him a few weeks ago, and he said he's not physically able to tie like he used to, and is now just selling through current inventory. I got a dozen yell Palmer's, dozen thunderheads, and a dozen Parachute Adams at $8/dozen.
That's not good news. He getting out of it when he sells out?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I can’t tie the small flies so I buy from The Fly Shack. Usually .89 each but can catch them for .69 each at times

AllTerrainAngler

Big y fly is my go to for patterns I can't tie as well myself. Haven't had any quality issues yet.

fishndoc

Hate to read that about Caylor; I had just recommended him on another thread.

They are pricey, but for western flies, you can’t beat the quality of Jump Creek Flies. Especially his green drake emergers and his PMD dries.

jigman29

I have fished the cheap flies for a few seasons and they work. But they are terrible quality and wont float for more than a few fish. I personally feel like supporting local shops is the way to go if you are just needing a few flies here and there.