Rossi lever actions

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Anyone here have any experience with them? I am wanting a cheap truck gun in either 44mag or 454. Gonna try and find a good used one.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Rossi 92, octagonal long barrel, chambered in .357 magnum here. Easily my favorite. Always generates conversation, and surprisingly effective up to a short distance. (Confuses folks to swap to a .38 special load from time to time).

The mandatory top tab safety is kind of redundant, I've seen kits to eliminate it. The twin bars that rise up out of the receiver, make it seem a bit clunky, but it shoots quite well, and the fit and finish on mine is decent. The wood stock and forend looked better than many more well known brands.

Was browsing the local gun store, saw it new on display, I already had .357 magnum in revolvers, thought it would be fun to have it in a rifle, price was right.
Example:
56488.jpg

Last edited:

leoparddog

I have one from "Nate Kiowa Jones" https://stevesgunz.com/ in 45 Colt that I like very much. I've had mine for quite a while and it doesn't have that silly top safety. Nate specializes in the Rossi 92 and can tune the action, trigger and really slick it up. It matches well to my 45LC Ruger

transfixer

I had an early nineties model in 45LC , before the safety was added, it looked like the picture above, crescent buttplate, metal cap on fore end, metal finish and blueing was excellent, I liked the rifle but it was in excellent condition, almost too nice to hunt with, I ended up trading it off for something else, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with it,

rosewood

I wouldn't say inexpensive, they are bringing a pretty good price these days.

I have the Puma 454 (pre-Rossi branding). Absolutely love it. Easy to carry. Recoil pad. Also, the 454 is the only one that has both tube loading and a side loading gate. I wished all lever guns were made that way.

Rosewood

John Cooper

Thanks everyone! The more I look around I can't seem to find one under $400.00 used. I will just keep looking. Ha ha

John Cooper

I know a fella that got a real good deal on a Trapper in 45LC. Sweet little rifle. He wanted a sling for it, but didn't want to drill it for swivels.

Sweet looking sling!! If I find one, I am going to get my leather Smith to make a shell holder for the buttstock ...... recon he could do that????:fine:

leoparddog

Sweet looking sling!! If I find one, I am going to get my leather Smith to make a shell holder for the buttstock ...... recon he could do that????:fine:

I think I paid about $700 for my slicked up Hartford rifle from Nate, the price included the sight (about $100) and the action job. I think he ordered my rifle and slicked it up for me then shipped it to my local FFL. For my gun leather I use http://www.levergunleather.com, who I connected with on a lever gun forum a back in the early 2000's. I seem to remember seeing cuff options with shell holders on his website
20190511_080915.jpg

1557577166439.png

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I think I paid about $700 for my slicked up Hartford rifle from Nate, the price included the sight (about $100) and the action job. I think he ordered my rifle and slicked it up for me then shipped it to my local FFL. For my gun leather I use http://www.levergunleather.com, who I connected with on a lever gun forum a back in the early 2000's. I seem to remember seeing cuff options with shell holders on his website
View attachment 968338

View attachment 968339
Man I like your style!

Jester896

Senior Clown
I like those...one of my lever guns doesn't have sling swivels...that would be the ticket right there

John Cooper

Thanks for all the replies!!

I am going to start a new thread on a different Gun/cartridge combo. :rofl:

Jester896

Senior Clown
my .44 lever gun has sling swivels...I think it would be an excellent truck gun...just not sure a truck gun needs sling swivels :D

Studawg170

I have the 16" .357 92 and I love it. Maybe the funnest gun to shoot I own.