UGH! Dropped my Maui Jims overboard - new sunglasses needed

RamblinWreck

So, I was fumbling around in the kayak and BLOOP. Maui Jim sunglasses overboard. Bye bye $200.

Oh well, I had them for many years and they were a little chipped up. Guess its time for a new pair.. and a strap to keep them on. My back-up Suncloud pair aren't very good for fishing.

Any recommendations for some new fishing sunglasses? I prefer polarized glass, no plastic, but not sure what to get, or the cheapest place to buy them. What do y'all like, and where did you get them?

GreenPig

You aren't alone in the need for new fishing sunglasses. My fishing partner knocked my prescription polarized sunglasses off my head into 32 FOW last week with a unnecessary crazy hookset. $400 gone. I'm looking at Costas with a strap.

mattuga

Banned
Following. I lost my Costas in Costa Rica on my honeymoon 4 years ago and have been rocking cheapo glasses from Walmart ever since. Hurts a lot less when a $10 pair disappears. I haven't been sight fishing as much as I used to so probably why it hasn't bothered me much. I want to trout fish more and need some good glasses for it.

You aren't alone in the need for new fishing sunglasses. My fishing partner knocked my prescription polarized sunglasses off my head into 32 FOW last week with a unnecessary crazy hookset. $400 gone. I'm looking at Costas with a strap.

I'm not laughing but that woulda been funny to see.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Look at Sierra Trading. Usually has some good prices.

fish hawk

Bass Master
When I retire or lose my Costas I'll probably give Shady Rays a try,SR's are priced well and have a great warranty

RamblinWreck

I ordered the Shady Ray X extreme ed. in Black Glacier, but I am very skeptical of them because of the price, the warranty, and the plastic lenses. For $52 I'll give them a try, but I'm expecting $10 Chinese no-name quality (hope not). They allegedly scrub their site of negative reviews, there are plenty who don't like them on the net. Also plenty who claim they rival Costas. Guess I'll see, and these will tide me over for the present.

I'll keep looking for my perfect glass pair. I had some lawsuit-era glass Bolles, never to be made again (they lost), that I lost playing in the surf, and those were the best I ever had.

I'll never buy another Luxotica product (Ray Bans) because of the poor warranty. My MJs were good, but I never liked the fit, and I had to pay to get them fixed when a lens cracked. I'll check out some Costas next time I'm at a retailer to check fit.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I'm about six pairs ahead of you!

Try dirtcheap.com.
EDIT! Oops, steap and cheap!

Last edited:

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Smith Optics and don’t look back. Make sure they have the Chromapop lenses. My Costa’s have collected dust for the last few years. Check steepandcheap.com.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I have a pair of Smith's I love!
A little less expensive.
And I can't seem to lose them!
Had them so long they are somewhat scratched up...

doomtrpr_z71

I buy Oakleys that are discontinued, hard to beat for $60-$70, there are several ebay stores to get them from. I just got a pair of FuelCells with Maritime lenses for $70 shipped. I live too dangerously for glass lenses.

GreenPig

Following. I lost my Costas in Costa Rica on my honeymoon 4 years ago and have been rocking cheapo glasses from Walmart ever since. Hurts a lot less when a $10 pair disappears. I haven't been sight fishing as much as I used to so probably why it hasn't bothered me much. I want to trout fish more and need some good glasses for it.

I'm not laughing but that woulda been funny to see.
It happened so fast I turned to my fishing partner and ask him what I saw sinking. I didn't even realize it was my glasses because everything was blurry. I'm just glad I've still have two good eyes after being slapped with a rod across the face.

KingTiger

I just picked up a pair of Costa Slack Tide with copper silver mirror, polarized glass (580) lenses. They are much lighter than an older pair I have. My old pair has the green mirror glass lens, which a lot of people like for inland waters. The new ones were $175 online.

I would recommend some Costa C-Line retainers. They use a coated, titanium wire that doesn't hang down your neck.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
It happened so fast I turned to my fishing partner and ask him what I saw sinking. I didn't even realize it was my glasses because everything was blurry. I'm just glad I've still have two good eyes after being slapped with a rod across the face.

He's been watching too much MLF.

Pineapple

Steep and Cheap web site. I bought the family a pair of Costa's each. The site is pretty good on all outdoor deals. I am stuck on the Zane model. Blue, Green. Poly or Glass. Prefer 580G's (Glass)

RamblinWreck

Got the Shady Rays today. (n)(n)(n)

Save your money; they are cheap Chinese junk. Oh well, live and learn. Die and forget.

bullgator

Just convince yourself they were counterfeit anyhow.

RamblinWreck

I'm going to upgrade my Shady Rays score from (n)(n)(n) to just (n). The optical quality is actually not bad, but the lenses are thin and move around in the frame when you are cleaning them. The X frame itself is kinda cheesy and only grips behind the ear. On the lake today I could see into the water quite well, at one time I had a million shad around me and they were glittering like diamonds, huge shoals. I reeled in a bream, and a nice LM was following it, I could clearly see it.

A few minutes later that bass hit my wiggler. Uh oh, 2 lb test, ultralight StC trout rod, 1000 size Daiwa. After about 5 minutes of some impressive runs, I got her to the boat for some pictures, and let her go (22" on the kayak paddle ruler, a solid 3-4 lb fish). That Palomar knot is the real deal for light line.lat_lm_may19.jpg