How many of you use an achor trolley system?

longbowdave1

I paddled and fished from a small canoe (Kay-noe) for a long time and had set-up an anchor system using cam cleats front & back...ran the line through an eye on bow & stern, then could pulled through the cam cleats to adjust. I normally used 4lb dumbbells, but on occasion, used my 8lb mushroom anchors. Honestly, it worked out really well in most conditions and allowed for the best positioning.

Now I have an anchor trolley on my Predator MX...the Yakattack branded one. It works "as advertised" I guess, but so far, I'm not really finding it very enjoyable to use. It is easy to drop and raise anchor (I have a clothesline spool to retract the line, which is cool...you can see lots of videos online about this), but it seems like it is really hard to nail down the right boat position. Current and/or wind tends to rotate the boat in unexpected directions, no matter where I move the trolley. If any of you anchor trolley experts out there have recommendations for how you use yours, I'd love to hear about them!

Btw, I think I'll probably get a long ski pole, or some sort of anchoring stake to use with the trolley in shallow water, like in the post above.
I saw a guy that use a 10 foot kength on 1/2 conduit for a stake out pole. He cut in half for ease of transport, and modified a coupling with thumb screw of easy assembly. The bottom end was peaned flat for esae of pushing in place, and he screwed a 1/2" pvc tee fitting on the top for a push down handle. Only about 6$ to make .

JC33

I saw a guy that use a 10 foot kength on 1/2 conduit for a stake out pole. He cut in half for ease of transport, and modified a coupling with thumb screw of easy assembly. The bottom end was peaned flat for esae of pushing in place, and he screwed a 1/2" pvc tee fitting on the top for a push down handle. Only about 6$ to make .
cool! thanks...yeah, that is the sort of thing (and price) I'm thinking about.

ryanh487

Another thing I've seen used for anchor stakes is 6-8' x 3/4" fiberglass garden stakes available on amazon or occassionally at Pikes/Home depot. Lighter than the EMT conduit, won't bend or rust, and can still epoxy a PVC T on top. They're also pointed for fast and easy penetration into the bottom substrate, particularly handy for gravel or small rocks.

longbowdave1

Another thing I've seen used for anchor stakes is 6-8' x 3/4" fiberglass garden stakes available on amazon or occassionally at Pikes/Home depot. Lighter than the EMT conduit, won't bend or rust, and can still epoxy a PVC T on top. They're also pointed for fast and easy penetration into the bottom substrate, particularly handy for gravel or small rocks.
I bet the 8 foot bamboo poles I've seen at home improvement places would work too. Bamboo is natures carbon fiber.

jocko755

well I guess wind would justify an anchor. I just think they are dangerous in river current. I prefer to eddy out, run up on a ledge or find a spot along the bank. I could imagine it useful in saltwater or big lakes as long as the depth is not too deep.

Yakman

Don't know how you'd fish without one. Anchoring in place and then controlling which direction you're facing while anchored is awesome. As for the anchor line, I use a retractable dog leash.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Don't know how you'd fish without one. Anchoring in place and then controlling which direction you're facing while anchored is awesome. As for the anchor line, I use a retractable dog leash.

I do the same, it allows you to fish around an object easily.

longbowdave1

Here's a few pictures from my system. It was so calm when I went out fishing that I didn't get to try it out.trolley 1.jpgtrolley 2.jpgtrolley 3.jpg

JC33

By the way, using a "retractable clothesline" works great for managing your anchor line! just check youtube or google kayak anchor systems and you'll find a bunch of videos from folks who use them. You just replace the plastic clotheline with your anchor line and it allows quick release of the anchor through your trolley and then when you pull up your anchor by hand, the line just automatically retracts back into the unit and stays out of your way.

longbowdave1

I had something similar using a Retractable line for hoisting a bow up in to the treestand. The spring broke on the maiden voyage.

JC33

I had something similar using a Retractable line for hoisting a bow up in to the treestand. The spring broke on the maiden voyage.
Ah, yeah... It's not super strong really...not powerful enough to retract the line with an anchor tied on. However, it works great to just let the line automatically retract as you lift the anchor by hand.