Dogging Bear Quota Hunt

Heath

I’ve read enough to know you are not a dog hunter but someone playing both sides of the fence.

I’m a bow hunter as well, and have lost nothing by this season change. There is still ample opportunity all over as deer season didn’t close everywhere.

You’ve seen all these deer run down? Where were you? You didn’t have a dog in there pulling hair?

This is bull hockey, spread by someone who just wants to act like a good guy but spread untruths. Secret agenda huh?

I don’t hunt in groups and never have more than 3 dogs with me when alone. Doesn’t take a tribe to catch a bear. Just one bear dog!

You haven’t seen healthy deer run down over and over again! Maybe one or 2 gut shot or wounded deer over the years that were left by deer hunters up home. I know how this narrative goes, you sir are a detriment to all hunters by spreading rumors and half-truths. But I can read what you are actually wanting to say. Some of us are not “fooled”.

You say you’ve seen it time and time again, yet you are right there in the middle of it the next time and the next time! When I see things I don’t approve of, I don’t participate anymore. You speak like you don’t condone big groups but obviously that’s how you choose to hunt over and over again. Then you are a “real Houndsmen” that just admitted to having to hunt in a big gang and runs deer down on a regular basis.

I’m glad there are less Houndsmen like yourself than you realize!

Last edited:

j_seph

As has been said many times, the dog Hunt need not be scheduled when it is. Back it up a few weeks and there would be a lot less Bow hunters raising Cane. One of the main reasons the DNR stated as to doing away with the May training season was due to so many private property owner complaints of dogs on their property. I have heard and read of many a bear race going for several miles. When the dogs get turned loose on Trail Ridge road which is in the center of Chattahoochee WMA it’s only 1 to 2 miles up the hill and you are crossing the Appalachian Trail and off Of the WMA. Can any of the dog hunters on here explain to me how you call off a pack of dogs once they have left the property where they are permitted to run? It’s an honest question as I truly have no idea. Seems like a recipe for even more conflict. There are lots of weekend backpackers on the AT that time of year.
Even if it were backed up a few weeks bow hunters would still have to come in behind them to hunt and one of the big things I have been reading on here is that bow season will suck trying to hunt after the dogs have ran them. SO do not see where this would fix anything for most of the bowhunters I have seen complaining.

goshenmountainman

It wasn’t the fact that the hog ran him over, it was the fact that several hounds and curs fighting a hog spooked the gobbler and he flew to the next ridge a mile over. I don’t know if he ever had a shot at the hog anyways, he just wasn’t happy that we ruined his hunt. And if he is like me he doesn’t have the ability to hunt every day like we wish we could. At several times during my life I’ve only had one day a week to hunt. So if you only have one day then it doesn’t matter if that gobbler will be back there the next morning. I understand why he was upset, and he had every right to be. I looked at it from his perspective when it happened and I figured I would have felt the same way.
You never gonna please everyone, no matter what you do. It was just by chance that the hog took that path, can't control an ole hog any more than that gobbler he was working. Stuff happens all the time in the woods that men can't control, part of it, the exact same thing happened to me this spring while hunting turkeys. Had a gobbler hammering all morning, just across a big holler from me, heard some dogs running far off, they kept getting closer and wouldn't you know they run a big doe within 20 yds. of me and then right beside my bird. The dogs were three miles from their home and I knew them both when they came up, couldn't get them to stop and I was ****ed.. I quickly made my way to the top of the ridge above me and I call my UNCLE and tell him which way they were going and that he better catch them before they catch her. I left to help catch them, we never caught up with them last time they were saw they were going toward Laprades, I went back to the ridge about 10:00 and the gobbler was hammering again, went down, set up, and called up four long beards. lined up two heads and squeezed of one shot and got three birds.. you never know how things will work out, thats part of why I like to hunt..

jbogg

Even if it were backed up a few weeks bow hunters would still have to come in behind them to hunt and one of the big things I have been reading on here is that bow season will suck trying to hunt after the dogs have ran them. SO do not see where this would fix anything for most of the bowhunters I have seen complaining.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. If the dog hunt was pushed back four weeks it would occur at the end of bow season and I think everyone could live with that.

j_seph

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. If the dog hunt was pushed back four weeks it would occur at the end of bow season and I think everyone could live with that.
I was thinking by back you meant earlier, my bad

Heath

Im truly sorry you have these feelings. I have no problem hunting alone in NC or GA. Don’t know why you are having such a hard time. Probably aren’t trying to hunt alone! I agree with you whole heartedly about fewer real dog men. But there’s never been many anyways. Always been scabs and tag alongs that are experts after 2 or 3 trips following someone else’s lifetime or longer of hard work.

No sir, I’ve never seen a healthy deer run down and caught. Don’t know many deer doggers that catch them as easly as you act like it is. This is propaganda spread by someone who is either against hunting in general or just disgruntled at dog hunters. You say you are a real Houndsmen then you say you like to hunt with a bunch of buddies. Then you say you’ve seen healthy deer run down. Did you report it? It would be easy to prove. I don’t buy it.

Believe me, I’m more agitated at dog hunters than anyone. I do believe a select few ruin it for the rest of us. But why do we let a few idiots dictate what the good people are allowed to do. It’s a slippery slope, I’m not for the taking of any season. My gripe is; why are some so ready and willing to dispose of one form of hunting when I would gladly defend their right to hunt? I think that’s why you feel alienated when you stand against dog hunters. We wouldn’t vote to take away any hunting period! But the other side dang sure has pushed to do away with us!

Now let’s share the Truth. The state department had no hand in implementing the dog seasons we have now. They didn’t just give it to us as a gift. It was fought for and pushed by the dog hunters alliance and people who fought for a long time to have their voice finally heard. The state seemed to be very much so against it but the biologists couldn’t refute the evidence. Now we are here today!

You keep playing the victim when your peers chastise you, or when you want to manipulate people’s sympathy for your cause. Why is it that you want so badly to do away with one form of hunting? Or at the least minimize our days in comparison to other forms. Turkey season is shorter because the biologists don’t agree with other states on fall season impacts. Has little to do with anything other than what’s best for the bird.

I don’t have confrontations with anyone because there aren’t enough people hunting anymore to even worry about. But to hear this forum everyone really works at it. I hunted 5 or 6 days of every week this year and saw possibly 5 trucks parked and hunting. That should scare the poo out of everyone! We should worry more about getting kids involved than pushing other hunters out of the woods.

jbogg

I was also at the meeting and heard them say they wanted the hunt to be as high quality as possible for the houndsmen. That time of year is prime for bear movement which equals a better experience for us, which is why they did it. The houndsmen didn’t choose the timing of the hunt, so that’s not on us. I wish it would have worked out better for everyone as I wouldn’t mind the hunt being moved back. I’m sorry it’s not that way though. I truly hope we can see past any disagreement because at the end of the day we’re all bear hunters no matter the method and we may end up with arms locked together fighting for any type of bear season one day soon.

As far as keeping dogs within an area there’s no foolproof way to do it. They can’t read or know they’re not supposed to go somewhere. You can reduce the chances of them leaving however.

Only turning out on hot tracks.

Hunting the core of a property.

Having dogs that run to catch the bear or hog, not run just to chase it. There’s a big difference.

Having good technology such as an Alpha system where you can tone recall your dogs. This means your dogs know to come back to you when you tone their collar. This is a questionable practice however as you can mess up a good dog quickly by shocking or toning at the wrong time or too often.

I don’t think this will be quite as big an issue as you may think. The way I understand it Chattahoochee and Chestatee are combined for the hunt and that’s a huge area. I don’t think I would have a problem keeping my dogs in an area that size. I have been wrong before though and like I said there are no guarantees.

It’s going to be interesting to see how this pans out. I guess in a perfect world if there was a big chunk of national forest bordered by roads all the way around that would help the hound hunters to keep their dogs from straying. As it stands, the entire northern boundary of both of these WMAs Is the Appalachian Trail. If you look at a map of Chattahoochee there’s a good 15 miles of trail between Hogpen gap and Unicoi gap with very little road access in that area. Seems to me like the dogs are going to get well into the national forest off the WMA before there is any practical way to round them up. So again this looks like a recipe for conflict not only with private property owners, but also with hunters that were forced off the WMA to Hunt the surrounding national forest.

Last edited:

jbogg

Im truly sorry you have these feelings. I have no problem hunting alone in NC or GA. Don’t know why you are having such a hard time. Probably aren’t trying to hunt alone! I agree with you whole heartedly about fewer real dog men. But there’s never been many anyways. Always been scabs and tag alongs that are experts after 2 or 3 trips following someone else’s lifetime or longer of hard work.

No sir, I’ve never seen a healthy deer run down and caught. Don’t know many deer doggers that catch them as easly as you act like it is. This is propaganda spread by someone who is either against hunting in general or just disgruntled at dog hunters. You say you are a real Houndsmen then you say you like to hunt with a bunch of buddies. Then you say you’ve seen healthy deer run down. Did you report it? It would be easy to prove. I don’t buy it.

Believe me, I’m more agitated at dog hunters than anyone. I do believe a select few ruin it for the rest of us. But why do we let a few idiots dictate what the good people are allowed to do. It’s a slippery slope, I’m not for the taking of any season. My gripe is; why are some so ready and willing to dispose of one form of hunting when I would gladly defend their right to hunt? I think that’s why you feel alienated when you stand against dog hunters. We wouldn’t vote to take away any hunting period! But the other side dang sure has pushed to do away with us!

Now let’s share the Truth. The state department had no hand in implementing the dog seasons we have now. They didn’t just give it to us as a gift. It was fought for and pushed by the dog hunters alliance and people who fought for a long time to have their voice finally heard. The state seemed to be very much so against it but the biologists couldn’t refute the evidence. Now we are here today!

You keep playing the victim when your peers chastise you, or when you want to manipulate people’s sympathy for your cause. Why is it that you want so badly to do away with one form of hunting? Or at the least minimize our days in comparison to other forms. Turkey season is shorter because the biologists don’t agree with other states on fall season impacts. Has little to do with anything other than what’s best for the bird.

I don’t have confrontations with anyone because there aren’t enough people hunting anymore to even worry about. But to hear this forum everyone really works at it. I hunted 5 or 6 days of every week this year and saw possibly 5 trucks parked and hunting. That should scare the poo out of everyone! We should worry more about getting kids involved than pushing other hunters out of the woods.

What exactly do you mean when you say “the state was against it, but the biologists could not refute the evidence?” This was a political decision from the top down to appease a very vocal group. I spoke with several biologists who were not in favor of the hunt but it was pushed through anyway. This decision had nothing to do with trying to reduce bear numbers. I’ve read the report, and it states that the dog hunt will have no significant impact on bear populations so one could conclude that reducing bear numbers is not one of the purposes of the hunt. Something doesn’t add up.

Heath

What exactly do you mean when you say “the state was against it, but the biologists could not refute the evidence?” This was a political decision from the top down to appease a very vocal group. I spoke with several biologists who were not in favor of the hunt but it was pushed through anyway. This decision had nothing to do with trying to reduce bear numbers. I’ve read the report, and it states that the dog hunt will have no significant impact on bear populations so one could conclude that reducing bear numbers is not one of the purposes of the hunt. Something doesn’t add up.

Jbogg, it has everything to do with biology and reducing bear numbers. But also with an even more productive method of removing bears than can be accomplished through traditional still hunting. There is really no practical reason for not having dog hunting other than the simple fact that some don’t understand it and are against it for whatever reasons or conclusions they draw. The state didn’t want to deal without the backlash from disgruntled hunters because this has been a battle for around 20 years in Georgia.

I’m sure you’ve noticed that everything is worded cryptically so as to keep the masses at bay or to leave interpretation room because not everything is as cut and dry as we wish it were. The sample size of the units being hunted is not large enough to declare any significant change in numbers when taken into the whole regions area. (50,000 acres isn’t going to change all of North Georgia’s bear population). It will however, give them a baseline research number as to just how effective it might be in that specific area.

I know you are new to hunting in this area, I feel you might be new to hunting in general. I’m grateful that you seem to want to understand and not take everything at face value. We are at war in this country, with people who want to take away our liberties. Losing any form of hunting is a loss on our behalf. Many do not understand that and are willingly aiding the mass movement to eliminate us all. Luckily, our state still has some sanity left and we have people who truly care about providing for our future. If we can nurture sound hunting practices and keep numbers of all game in Check their will be no need for government interference. You probably remember supply and demand charts and what happens when big brother intervenes. Seems more people are worried about what they are gonna get out of it than what we all might gain in the future.

I’ll say it again for others, keep calm and let the bear hounds have a chance. If successful, everyone will benefit. If not, it will be done away with. It’s not the end of the world unless you have a different agenda you are actually trying to push. We all won, the State granted us another form of hunting when other states are closing doors on it.

35 Whelen

Fair Chase and the Survival of Hunting

Ethical choices in hunting are more important today than at any previous time. Hunter’s values—their motivations and their conduct—shape society’s opinion of hunting. A recent scientific survey conducted by Mark Damien Duda of Responsive Management indicates that American’s approval of hunting remains high. The study found that 77% of American adults strongly or moderately approve of hunting, however this support is conditional rather than absolute. Approval of hunting tends to vary considerably according to species, and method of hunting. Equally important to Americans’ overall approval of hunting is the motivation for hunting. American adults overwhelmingly approve of hunting for food (85% of all respondents expressed strong or moderate approval), to protect humans from harm (85%), for animal population control (83%), for wildlife management (81%) or to protect property (71%). However, approval diminishes considerably when respondents are asked about hunting for the sport (53% approve), to supplement income (44%), hunting on Sundays (41%), for the challenge (40%) or for a trophy (28%). While more than half of American adults strongly or moderately support hunting with dogs (57%), less than half support any of the other hunting methods asked about in the survey: hunting using special scents that attract game (36%), hunting over bait (27%), hunting using high tech gear (20%) or hunting in a high fence preserve (20%). This number climbs to 48% for hunters with limited mobility hunting within a high fence preserve.

In any democracy, society decides what is acceptable or unacceptable, and therefore what stays and what goes. Hunting traditions are potentially at risk if the majority of citizens develop a negative perception of hunting, whether this perception is justified or not. Ethics may be a matter of choice, but the actions of individuals can come to represent the entire group and it is important that hunters understand this.

https://www.boone-crockett.org/pdf/On_Fair_Chase.pdf

Last edited:

Heath

Ethical choices in hunting are more important today than at any previous time. Hunter’s values—their motivations and their conduct—shape society’s opinion of hunting. A recent scientific survey conducted by Mark Damien Duda of Responsive Management indicates that American’s approval of hunting remains high. The study found that 77% of American adults strongly or moderately approve of hunting, however this support is conditional rather than absolute. Approval of hunting tends to vary considerably according to species, and method of hunting. Equally important to Americans’ overall approval of hunting is the motivation for hunting. American adults overwhelmingly approve of hunting for food (85% of all respondents expressed strong or moderate approval), to protect humans from harm (85%), for animal population control (83%), for wildlife management (81%) or to protect property (71%). However, approval diminishes considerably when respondents are asked about hunting for the sport (53% approve), to supplement income (44%), hunting on Sundays (41%), for the challenge (40%) or for a trophy (28%). While more than half of American adults strongly or moderately support hunting with dogs (57%), less than half support any of the other hunting methods asked about in the survey: hunting using special scents that attract game (36%), hunting over bait (27%), hunting using high tech gear (20%) or hunting in a high fence preserve (20%). This number climbs to 48% for hunters with limited mobility hunting within a high fence preserve.

In any democracy, society decides what is acceptable or unacceptable, and therefore what stays and what goes. Hunting traditions are potentially at risk if the majority of citizens develop a negative perception of hunting, whether this perception is justified or not. Ethics may be a matter of choice, but the actions of individuals can come to represent the entire group and it is important that hunters understand this.

Sure wish I had researched and found this before I wasted so much brain power.

jbogg

Jbogg, it has everything to do with biology and reducing bear numbers. But also with an even more productive method of removing bears than can be accomplished through traditional still hunting. There is really no practical reason for not having dog hunting other than the simple fact that some don’t understand it and are against it for whatever reasons or conclusions they draw. The state didn’t want to deal without the backlash from disgruntled hunters because this has been a battle for around 20 years in Georgia.

I’m sure you’ve noticed that everything is worded cryptically so as to keep the masses at bay or to leave interpretation room because not everything is as cut and dry as we wish it were. The sample size of the units being hunted is not large enough to declare any significant change in numbers when taken into the whole regions area. (50,000 acres isn’t going to change all of North Georgia’s bear population). It will however, give them a baseline research number as to just how effective it might be in that specific area.

I know you are new to hunting in this area, I feel you might be new to hunting in general. I’m grateful that you seem to want to understand and not take everything at face value. We are at war in this country, with people who want to take away our liberties. Losing any form of hunting is a loss on our behalf. Many do not understand that and are willingly aiding the mass movement to eliminate us all. Luckily, our state still has some sanity left and we have people who truly care about providing for our future. If we can nurture sound hunting practices and keep numbers of all game in Check their will be no need for government interference. You probably remember supply and demand charts and what happens when big brother intervenes. Seems more people are worried about what they are gonna get out of it than what we all might gain in the future.

I’ll say it again for others, keep calm and let the bear hounds have a chance. If successful, everyone will benefit. If not, it will be done away with. It’s not the end of the world unless you have a different agenda you are actually trying to push. We all won, the State granted us another form of hunting when other states are closing doors on it.

You are correct in that I am fairly new to hunting the mountains, but I’m trying to make up for lost time. I am not a new hunter however, as this will be my 30th year bow hunting. I know this was a big win for Hound Hunters, But I can’t see it as anything but a loss for bowhunters. Bow season on those WMAs has essentially been reduced to one week. Not much left to say about it. I will move over to NF after the early rifle hunt, but my worry is that after the two year trial the dog hunt will be expanded to include the entire NF which is why I am being so vocal now.

Last edited:

jbogg

Interesting stats. Not to split hairs but I'm guessing the majority of people in that study envision a lab shivering in a duck blind when they think of hunting with dogs. Show them a video of a catch dog grabbing a hog and your results probably change significantly. I do agree that hunters need to speak loudly and with one voice. Squeaky wheel gets the grease as evidenced by the Dog hunt. If hunter numbers keep declining at the current rate the antis will have the megaphone and politicians will do what politicians do. Over the years I have introduced a fair number of people to hunting, and have always tried to use some trailhead diplomacy when encountering curious hikers in the parking lot or on the trail. If I was a dog hunter I would invite some bow hunting non dog hunters along for the race and build some bridges where you can. It’s probably pretty obvious I don’t have much going on at work today. No promises, but I will try to make this my last post of the day.

Last edited:

35 Whelen

Interesting stats. Not to split hairs but I'm guessing the majority of people in that study envision a lab shivering in a duck blind when they think of hunting with dogs. Show them a video of a catch dog grabbing a hog and your results probably change significantly. I do agree that hunters need to speak loudly and with one voice. Squeaky wheel gets the grease as evidenced by the Dog hunt. If hunter numbers keep declining at the current rate the antis will have the megaphone and politicians will do what politicians do. Over the years I have introduced a fair number of people to hunting, and have always tried to use some trailhead diplomacy when encountering curious hikers in the parking lot or on the trail. If I was a dog hunter I would invite some bow hunting non dog hunters along for the race and build some bridges where you can. It’s probably pretty obvious I don’t have much going on at work today. No promises, but I will try to make this my last post of the day.

Lab in a duck blind or bird dog pointing a covey of quail or pheasant, either way 57% is a slim margin of majority support. I believe this is the most important statement to govern our actions as hunters:

I know I’m a little late to this party but I’m proud of the direction Georgia has stepped. As a dog hunter I can say this. As an all around hunter I can understand why people are upset.

The season dates aren’t perfect and the state seems to be flying by the seat of their pants (hunt is supposed to be in September but the quota isn’t even open yet). In my opinion the absolute ideal season dates would be directly after turkey season closes. Bears are moving and searching for food the most at this point. No one would loose any bow hunting time in September and I believe everyone would get along better and the dog guys would have more support from people that just don’t understand.

I will be applying for the quota along with several hunting buddies. If not selected I would love to come be a dog man for a party. I’ll be returning home from Canada with my hounds about a week before this hunt and will have everything in top notch shape before a 9 day hunt. I will already have several kills for the year to my hounds before the hunt also.

To the people who don’t really understand how hunting with dogs works I would be a huge asset. My hounds see anywhere from 75-100 bears a year and are seasoned vets. You don’t just walk through the woods with a dog and kill bears. It’s the most physically challenging type of hunting east of the Mississippi and not uncommon to walk 10+ miles per day.

I simply want to put my name out there with my hunting partner as an option to 100% guarantee you a bear. We would never be interested in shooting unless we got on a big bear on the ground that didnt want to climb and was hurting dogs. It’s all about dog work with us.

We hunt north Georgia often with hounds during the training season and normally tree at least 2 bears a morning and it’s not uncommon to have split races and end up on 3 or 4 bears. We have 10 dogs between the 2 of us and rotate them in a very thought out way so we can hunt every day. (For the people who don’t understand this.) dogs aren’t machines and they get tired. Unless you have short races they can’t run to a superior caliber every day no matter what their conditioning is. We normally run no more than 4-5 dogs at a time on a bear to maximize our days. This may sound crazy to some but we hunt 150 days a year and do our best to keep each dog in great health. They are part of the family and part of our team.

At the end of the day all I’m trying to get out there is that if you get drawn and want to be guaranteed bears give me a call. I have thousands of hours of videos and pictures (not sure if those can be put on here or not, I’m new to the forum). I spend countless days training hounds in multiple states and all the way to Canada and back. I would love nothing more than for someone to bring a few kids to get their first bears because that’s where the future of our sport lies. God bless and happy hunting.

jbogg

I know I’m a little late to this party but I’m proud of the direction Georgia has stepped. As a dog hunter I can say this. As an all around hunter I can understand why people are upset.

The season dates aren’t perfect and the state seems to be flying by the seat of their pants (hunt is supposed to be in September but the quota isn’t even open yet). In my opinion the absolute ideal season dates would be directly after turkey season closes. Bears are moving and searching for food the most at this point. No one would loose any bow hunting time in September and I believe everyone would get along better and the dog guys would have more support from people that just don’t understand.

I will be applying for the quota along with several hunting buddies. If not selected I would love to come be a dog man for a party. I’ll be returning home from Canada with my hounds about a week before this hunt and will have everything in top notch shape before a 9 day hunt. I will already have several kills for the year to my hounds before the hunt also.

To the people who don’t really understand how hunting with dogs works I would be a huge asset. My hounds see anywhere from 75-100 bears a year and are seasoned vets. You don’t just walk through the woods with a dog and kill bears. It’s the most physically challenging type of hunting east of the Mississippi and not uncommon to walk 10+ miles per day.

I simply want to put my name out there with my hunting partner as an option to 100% guarantee you a bear. We would never be interested in shooting unless we got on a big bear on the ground that didnt want to climb and was hurting dogs. It’s all about dog work with us.

We hunt north Georgia often with hounds during the training season and normally tree at least 2 bears a morning and it’s not uncommon to have split races and end up on 3 or 4 bears. We have 10 dogs between the 2 of us and rotate them in a very thought out way so we can hunt every day. (For the people who don’t understand this.) dogs aren’t machines and they get tired. Unless you have short races they can’t run to a superior caliber every day no matter what their conditioning is. We normally run no more than 4-5 dogs at a time on a bear to maximize our days. This may sound crazy to some but we hunt 150 days a year and do our best to keep each dog in great health. They are part of the family and part of our team.

At the end of the day all I’m trying to get out there is that if you get drawn and want to be guaranteed bears give me a call. I have thousands of hours of videos and pictures (not sure if those can be put on here or not, I’m new to the forum). I spend countless days training hounds in multiple states and all the way to Canada and back. I would love nothing more than for someone to bring a few kids to get their first bears because that’s where the future of our sport lies. God bless and happy hunting.

I was always told that the reason they won’t do a spring hunt is because there is to much risk of separating a Sow from some very young cubs. Not sure if that is the reason, but it makes sense if true.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Has anyone's position changed in 169 posts?

greg_n_clayton

You could kill every bear on the WMAs they propose the quota hunts on and it wouldn't have any effect on the over all population up here. And the USFS will never allow such like they do in NC and SC, no time soon anyways !