Artifacts

Dbender

For those of you who have extensive collections or even just a small collection. What is the best thing to do with them , or what is your plan for your collection when you die?

ugajay

I have a very small collection, and have my papa's collection. I'm just going to make sure mine go to someone who appreciates them. I'm not concerned with whether it's family or not. I want someone who will appreciate them as much or more than I do

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Mine will go to my son.

Before I would donate any of my collection to a museum, I would place each one on an anvil, take a hammer, and pound them to dust.

Mine will go to my son.

Before I would donate any of my collection to a museum, I would place each one on an anvil, take a hammer, and pound them to dust.
Honest question, why? Not about son, obviously, but museums. I know you like educating folks about the past. What's the beef?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Honest question, why? Not about son, obviously, but museums. I know you like educating folks about the past. What's the beef?

I`ve heard too many horror stories about donated collections disappearing to never be seen again. Never got put on display. And other collections that stayed boxed up.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’m with Nic on this. Most donations disappear one way or another. And I would rather just carry my collection back to the ground where they came from.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I`ve heard too many horror stories about donated collections disappearing to never be seen again. Never got put on display. And other collections that stayed boxed up.
The Fla museum has quite a bit on display but they have rows of shelf’s with boxes filled categorize ! They wanted my starfish.
At lake Jackson in Tall. They wanted A man named Crowder his house and land. It had a Indian mound on it. Said he has no option but to sell. Well his son has a 100 dump trucks. Excavators you name it he has it in the earth move in business!
I watched that mound disappear and sod planted.
He still lives there.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I like the idea of taking them back where I found them but I only have a couple three mason jars of brokes. Let someone else enjoy finding them.

Pointpuller

Ive got a few. My son aint in to it. Wife might sell some of the higher end ones to some unscrupulous buzzards who like to sell on line.. Im gonna leave them to someone who appreciates em for what they are and not the dollars there worth. Thousands of hours walking and thousands of hours under water when it was legal. The State will never possess nary a one.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I hope to build a Coffee table or something similar with mine, and they will be my daughters, she knows how many miles I’ve walked looking for them because she’s walked a lot of them with me , but I guess when I’m GON it want really matter , I like the idea someone else mentioned about putting them back where I found them , for someone else to hopefully be as excited as I was when I found them !

mamatried

Agreed back to the earth seems right. Just imagine finding a decent cache with points from different time periods. How the mind would wonder

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Agreed back to the earth seems right. Just imagine finding a decent cache with points from different time periods. How the mind would wonder
One of the thrills for me is to know I’m the first person to touch them when I find it ...but who knows , maybe I’m not !

Sixes

I've thought about this before, if something happened to me now, I have a friend and uncle that would get them.

If I live to be old, I hope my daughter has children that will appreciate them.

As far as I am concerned, they can sell them or whatever but no way will I ever donate them to a museum. All you are doing by donating them is either having them disappear in boxes forever or disappear in a private collection.

oppthepop

I wonder what happened to Tom Mann's collection that used to be on display down in Eufaula, AL back in the good old days of Mann's Jelly Worms. I bet somebody snatched that collection up the day old Tom passed away.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I wonder what happened to Tom Mann's collection that used to be on display down in Eufaula, AL back in the good old days of Mann's Jelly Worms. I bet somebody snatched that collection up the day old Tom passed away.

I knew an elderly gentleman here in Southwest Georgia who ended up with some of them. He`s know passed away as well.