Your 2019/2020 Out Of State Hunting Trips

MidwestAddiction

Last year was my first ever venture out west. It’s something I always wanted to do and really wish I would not have waited so long to do it. DIY and public land all the way. I saw elk almost every day and heard bugling almost every day as well. I was fortunate to harvest a bull on the 4th day of the 5 day season. I hunted Colorado first rifle and had an either sex tag. The trip was absolutely amazing...packing the elk out was the most physically challenging thing I have ever done...the experience gave me a new take on life.
I applied for the same unit and season as last year and drew again...Same unit, same season, same tag. However this year I am going to try and pick up an OTC mule deer tag for the Oct. 19-27 rifle season.

You, killmaster, and GThunter have me planning this for next year- going to give it a try
Good luck to you again this season

zaraspook04

Midwestaddiction...do it...you certainly will not regret it!!
I’ll share my knowledge base...what little it is. Going and getting experience is the best way to learn. I watched lots of videos...Randy Newberg (especially) and Cory Jacobson are on you tube and do great podcasts with tons of great info. I don’t get into the hyped up, commercialized stuff. For me, it’s more about the hunt and the experience. Harvesting an animal is icing on the cake.
I will add this...I did not realize just how big elk are. I had a mature cow in my scope at 435 yards. It compared to having a deer in my scope at 50 yards. Elk are huge.

turkeykirk

Still building the house, but it's coming along good. Our farm is dead in the middle of the finest deer hunting in the country. To say we are excited is stating the obvious!

Y’all need a housekeeper/groundskeeper? Would volunteer if y’all will let me hunt.:rofl:

GTHunter

Hunter success looks great for 82, but you'll probably have to get way off the roads to get clear of road hunters.
That is great country. The Cristo’s are no joke if the elk are still in the high country though.

I hunted this unit in 2017 so I don't have to worry about underestimating those mountains again this time. They are as steep as anywhere I have ever seen and kicked my butt. I have a different strategy this time around now that I know what I am up against.

jimbar

Gonna be a crazy year that will probably involve more work than hunting
I'm thinking maybe you should work more than hunt this year to make sure there are a few shooters hanging around just in case you have a couple of guest hunters show up. Just saying.

jimbar

Well I wasn't going to post to this thread but when I opened up my Father's Day card from my son there was paper work for a paid bow hunt to Giles Island for this fall. Man I can't thank him enough. I'll be in Missouri or Iowa the second week of November depending on if I get drawn for Iowa.

reelsouthern1220

Headed to Wisconsin the last week of October. We have been in Kansas around Thanksgiving the last 2 years and based on that experience it seems the action has slowed down immensely by then, so we opted to change it up this year with different dates and state. Looking forward to seeing another part of the country and hopefully getting on some big buck action! Good luck to all this year!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Headed to Wisconsin the last week of October. We have been in Kansas around Thanksgiving the last 2 years and based on that experience it seems the action has slowed down immensely by then, so we opted to change it up this year with different dates and state. Looking forward to seeing another part of the country and hopefully getting on some big buck action! Good luck to all this year!

Bluff country is gorgeous in WI! Hate that these are the only 2 pics I can find from our trip out there in 2013.

IMG_201311033538.jpgIMG_2013110330347.jpg

hambone76

If the Salmon run aligns with archery season, I’ll be deer hunting the Huron Natl Forest, near Hale, Michigan. I’ll also be fishing the Au Sable River for Salmon, Trout and Smallies.
There’s 438,584 acres of land, miles of river and some of the most gorgeous scenery I’ve ever seen.
That picture is about 30 minutes from our house.
00602554-C23C-4554-A7A9-8B8A7643582D.jpeg