Chiggers?

frankwright

I have not had a chiggers bite in many years, since I learned to always sprayed my clothes.
When I did get bit it was always ankles.
I was cutting some overhead brush and now I got super itchy bites that feel like chiggers.
Are they in 20 foot tall bushes or just low to the ground?

Attachments

• IMG_20190618_091945231-600x800.jpg
    IMG_20190618_091945231-600x800.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 48

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Chiggers lay in wait where they will come in contact with the requirements that they need. Be that humans, critters, or birds. Most of the time they will be not far from the ground.

Most of the time.

I have to admit though, I have forgotten what it`s like to have them. Last ones I had were in 1978. Same for ticks.

Last edited:

blt152

I spent a day at the range last week and was bit up pretty bad on my lower body by chiggers. I came down with severe flu like symptoms and spent the day in the ER. I'm allergic to stinging insects so not sure if that caused it. Blood work showed elevated white cell count so they said I had an infection of some kind but could not find it. Two years ago I had the same reaction to seed tick bites but this time no ticks were found.

ucfireman

You guys need to follow the advice of us old ones like Nic and me - a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar every morning works wonders!

Dad drinks it with water and honey, says its supposed to "rid the body of inflammation".
I tried it one time just ACV and water and it burned, couldn't do it, I do know folks say it works to keep bugs away though. Don't know? Garlic will keep the skeeters away.

marthaj

a jigger of bourbon, tablespoonful of apple cider vinegar & juice from a clove of garlic before going to chigger country will fix you up.

Bigtimber

I use to hear about them in spanish moss thick.....don't know if that true or not....but that moss sure grows high in trees.

I know bleach works good getting rid of them once they on you. Rub in a drop or two on each spot...or a few cups in a bleach bath.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I use to hear about them in spanish moss thick.....don't know if that true or not....but that moss sure grows high in trees.

Yes sir. They love cedar trees too.

southernman13

Nuttin worse than chiggers. They love me. Omg. They just won’t quit itchn. Had some about a month ago. Only thing that helps is time. I’ve tried everything all the home remedies. This last batch I was able not to scratch as much.

Full Draw McGraw

Not to hijack this into an ACV thread but you know what else doesn't like to bite you as much if you take it regularly? Mosquitos. I rarely get bit anymore.

They sell it in pill form too (the ACV solids in a capsule) so you don't have to burn up your stomach every day. Good stuff.

frankwright

My are still itching like heck. Pharmacist gave me a tube of something and it will stop the itching but it will come back before too long. They are slowly starting to fade.
I take an ACV pill every day as it is supposed to be good for other things. I can sit on the deck and rarely get bit and they bite my wife like crazy.

Bucaramus

My are still itching like heck. Pharmacist gave me a tube of something and it will stop the itching but it will come back before too long. They are slowly starting to fade.
I take an ACV pill every day as it is supposed to be good for other things. I can sit on the deck and rarely get bit and they bite my wife like crazy.

I wonder if 1 tablet a day is not enough. Mine says a serving is 2 tablets up to 3 times a day. I can drink it but I travel for a living so the tablets are easier when on the road.

dick7.62

I wonder if 1 tablet a day is not enough. Mine says a serving is 2 tablets up to 3 times a day. I can drink it but I travel for a living so the tablets are easier when on the road.
I was taking 1 tablet a day(600mg) and had 1 tick bite me. I went to two a day and have had none bite me. Chiggers haven't bothered me in 40 years and I really don't know why. They used to eat me up.