Are gluttons "real" christians?

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
Genesis 1:26
Let US make man in OUR image..

Who's image is that?
Another mistranslation that us translated just like that in many translations?
Does OUR image include hands?

Us and Our, whose else was making humans?
Us and Our

• Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth,” (Gen. 1:26, NASB).
  • "Then the Lord God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil; and now, lest he stretch out his hand, and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever," (Gen. 3:22, NASB).
  • “Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech,” (Gen. 11:7, NASB).
  • "Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?” Then I said, “Here am I. Send me!” (Isaiah 6:8, NASB)
We attempted The Problem of Evil, and on that trip found potholes, sinkholes, roadblock, and landslides, as well as having to battle the cross-traffic all the way. I'm sure that nothing new would be found if we attempted The Trinity.

And I've got to get out of here for multiple reasons that are not going to wait forever.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
I thought maybe you were a source that would explain how you know, and then provide additional sources that back up you up.
Hundreds of sources.....like:

That's not me, all I can do is point in a direction I have found fruitful. I suppose I learned from those that I search out to learn from. That makes me think of one book that I found very helpful. The author devoted the first chapter, 30 pages if I remember correct, to explaining how he would be using 12-15 words that would be used throughout the text. Then at the opening of chapter 3 he spent the first 1 1/2 pages explaining the way he would use another word in that chapter. Both Hume and Kant published books that were not at first received well. Each of them then publish another book to help their readers understand the first book (they approached their second books differently, but the idea was the same). BTW, I'm not recommending those two guys; they are tough reading for me. Of course, one can always read one of the umpteen books that tell you what you should think they said, but then you aren't really sure that your author isn't telling you what he wants you to believe.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
So sorry about that. I was just typing and sometimes I capitalize out of reflex.
I really didn't think it would prevent an answer and off we go on another tangent. Got to say, I didn't expect it but, I am not Surprised.
I did state it was a commandment though.

I fixed it. Ready for any other grammar, punctuation, or other distraction to come. Any comments on my avatar, signature...?

Accuracy of expression is a distraction; I'll remember that.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I'm unsure why you posted this, but if it adds anything for you the three that have "god" are dynamic equivalency (sometimes called paraphrase). Nothing wrong with that if not used for serious study and the theological school of the interpreter is known up front. Anyway, that explains the nonstandard sentence structure and choice of words.
What is meant by the word gods in that verse?
The plural of god is used many times in the Bible. Your god refers to us and our.
You can go scholastic on grammar&punctuation but you still have not explained what we are talking about.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
We attempted The Problem of Evil, and on that trip found potholes, sinkholes, roadblock, and landslides, as well as having to battle the cross-traffic all the way. I'm sure that nothing new would be found if we attempted The Trinity.

And I've got to get out of here for multiple reasons that are not going to wait forever.
Agreed, adding another unprovable claim won't help.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
That's not me, all I can do is point in a direction I have found fruitful. I suppose I learned from those that I search out to learn from. That makes me think of one book that I found very helpful. The author devoted the first chapter, 30 pages if I remember correct, to explaining how he would be using 12-15 words that would be used throughout the text. Then at the opening of chapter 3 he spent the first 1 1/2 pages explaining the way he would use another word in that chapter. Both Hume and Kant published books that were not at first received well. Each of them then publish another book to help their readers understand the first book (they approached their second books differently, but the idea was the same). BTW, I'm not recommending those two guys; they are tough reading for me. Of course, one can always read one of the umpteen books that tell you what you should think they said, but then you aren't really sure that your author isn't telling you what he wants you to believe.
You told me about authors that you recommend I do not read, then mention umpteen books(none by name) that you say will leave the reader unsure.

I wanted to know a few of the hundreds if sources you know of from a few pages back.

atlashunter

Atheists love Textural Criticism. It's probably the commonality of methodology. First you establish rules of investigation that negate everything spiritual, then you tout the nonspiritual outcome of the investigation.

Draw whatever theological conclusions you want of the alterations that have been made over time to the texts. Doesn’t change the fact they exist. Facts are stubborn things.

atlashunter

If you really care about accuracy the Bible must really give you fits. Of course your nitpicking has far less to do with accuracy and much more to do with avoiding his point. Anything to avoid that. Squirrel! :bounce:

atlashunter

There has been one believer who actually answered the question I asked and it wasn’t hummer. They were honest enough to not pretend their position was based on reason or evidence.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
You know exactly what we mean and exactly what we are talking about. But instead of answering us, you are grading papers. If you can pick out our mistakes and tell us how they should be corrected, then you know what we are asking and saying.

Israel

BANNED
Philosophy, of itself, may seem a most useless thing to a man changing a tire in the rain.

Or when a man stops breathing in front of you and you immediately need to know your part in that matter. Or a person you are talking to in one moment suddenly rolls their eyes back in their head in the next and for you they have very much stopped "being there".

It's easy to think that there are just "some times" when life and death (even if it be physical life and death) are on the line and have some vague hope that if and when...or when you are found facing it, you acquit yourself in such a manner your conscience comes through unscathed.

I don't expect children to understand the above. I expect children to have so little concern of conscience in most everything that they are easily satisfied with colleagues, in whatever form in mind "men around them" take in their authority to relieve (or accuse)...to be their final adjudicator. This itself sounds so vainly philosophical to them, as to be coming from the place of ultimate impracticality. It appears so useless a preoccupation where all that seems of matter is...if you are able to convince (first yourself) then others, that you have "done the best you can", you'll be fine.

To children, only some things are of import. They really do believe (and I believe them)...some things don't matter at all. That some things are able to be suspended in a place of zero consequence in themselves, and only determined by themselves, while they themselves unknowingly pursue what to them rebounds as "good consequence" tirelessly. In everything. Relentlessly. Doggedly. Even, rabidly. Dear, and ignorant, children. Believing the doing of "A" leads to "B", thence to "C" to my desired outcome, inevitably. And practice only reinforces to them, as it will, and must, their mistaken sufficiency in understanding, and also likewise reinforces to them...some things can be held to no consequence at all...as I am yet able to (in this order of mine) achieve. No hindrance is yet adequately known. No sufficient stumble is yet experienced.

The seeing of children does not make one's self a man. Children may see other children even to an identifying in differentiation from what they see as men. And just as seeing children does not make them full grown, neither should seeing of man be mistaken for apprehension of what it means to be...a man. All it means is power of observation to a differentiation with no implication that "if I see a man I must therefore be a man". I see a man.

I see a man. I see a man casually described as squirrel. I know why children like to speak thus. It's king of the hill play. Do you think I am either not a child, nor ever have been? It's "I can yet hold something to zero consequence...without consequence".

But the man I see holds the knowledge of a stumbling. And in this even appears to some as stumbling, perhaps mumbling...and is far more easily accused of being devious...than seen. Because one has not yet experienced the stumbling in themselves. Their wings, to them, remain all intact, lovely, perfect. They love their own image. But, this man? Just too easy to deride, too easy to dismiss...why...it would almost be a crime...not to.

Such a man to me, speaks of things, and seeks to, from his understanding honestly with a knowing that is very easily and casually, and must be, dismissed by children...they are simply not made able to bear such knowing. It is the knowing that all things are of consequence and this even to the things children spend promiscuously and in great incontinence...their own words. This man has learned that it is not "sometimes" life and death are on the line, but always present. Children of course, simply cannot appreciate or see his, or this discipline...or that to which he has made himself subject in the learning of it. To them, he is able to be called "squirrel" with no regard. Or squirrelly...or easily given to distraction or its employment deviously.

Now, just because I see a man...does not make me a man at all, I can still play "king of the hill" with the best of them...even if often losing...I can play. But one might be wise to consider when playing in the arena that is touted for the "more intelligent" that you don't run off one by deriding, or calling him a squirrel, a very one whose presence may be the only thing that makes it so.

I see, and smell cheesiness, oh! yes I do!

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Hey guys...is it always only "he who smelt it dealt it?"

When there are only two guys in the elevator, each absolutely knows who dealt it. But when the third walks in on the 4th floor...he'll see whether he's subject to subterfuge. And so will the one who dealt it...see who responds to subterfuge. I don't wonder why you guys hold so many side bars with one another to collectively judge a thing. And reinforce to one another, your standing in a matter. Or regard for a person. Hey, even some "so called" christians lap those dregs with fervor.

There's maybe one "of you" who's a little embarrassed to see it done and rarely will engage in what is nothing else than open gossip. Like women deciding about the clothes on a third...or tacky shoes...or whatever. Not unlike...mean girls...at all. I'm just a child, but I have seen a few things...wives really don't like it when they discover their man has brought another woman home. Or is the "other woman".

Edited at 0933.

Last edited:

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
What is meant by the word gods in that verse?

I don't understand why you want this answer from me. I have no particular insight, or any particular question of my own , on the verse; if I did that would be different. There are many others who are more extensive in their knowledge, articulate in their presentation, and are easily accessed. If you would spend the time it takes me to answer, you could read several of them. But, just because your such a nice guy, I'll take a shot at it, with no assurance that I'm going to put in the time it would take to provide a product I would consider my best effort
"gods" refers to any thing "other" which is worshiped. The sun god Ra would be one type, Pharaoh or pre-WW2 Japanese Emperors another, a carved wooden anteater another ?, ones ancestors another, and I'm sure there are a plethora of others of that species. Hindu gods, Buddhist gods, etc. I think of as another species. I can't remember the word for the mountain, river, tree, animal, etc. gods. Less thought of, but in application, just as important, and common to most of us, but not identifiable outside of self is a class which might include, baseball, cars, fishing, money, titles, a political party, power (both true and imagined) and a whole host of others. This class of things become a god when their importance becomes greater in ones life than God; they are worshiped (worth-ship). So if your neighbor plays golf on Sunday morning, rather than going to church, has he broken the commandment. How would I know, or you know, or any man know; it's not about how he spends his time, or where he goes, or what he does, it's about his heart; does he love God above all else, or does he worship something "other"?

The plural of god is used many times in the Bible. Your god refers to us and our.

That can not but lead to Trinity, which we are not going to discuss.

You can go scholastic on grammar&punctuation but you still have not explained what we are talking about.

Don't want to deny any impression you have; it's yours and I can't know it; but I don't see how an old, skinny, worn-out, redneck, country carpenter from Missouri "can go scholastic" on anything. I use grammar & punctuation, often in violation of someone's rules, in an attempt to communicate as accurately as possible. The results show that I am not good at it, but that is my intent. I think people, with perhaps some exceptions, deserve the respect that I hope is reflected in my effort to be clear.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I don't understand why you want this answer from me. I have no particular insight, or any particular question of my own , on the verse; if I did that would be different. There are many others who are more extensive in their knowledge, articulate in their presentation, and are easily accessed. If you would spend the time it takes me to answer, you could read several of them. But, just because your such a nice guy, I'll take a shot at it, with no assurance that I'm going to put in the time it would take to provide a product I would consider my best effort
"gods" refers to any thing "other" which is worshiped. The sun god Ra would be one type, Pharaoh or pre-WW2 Japanese Emperors another, a carved wooden anteater another ?, ones ancestors another, and I'm sure there are a plethora of others of that species. Hindu gods, Buddhist gods, etc. I think of as another species. I can't remember the word for the mountain, river, tree, animal, etc. gods. Less thought of, but in application, just as important, and common to most of us, but not identifiable outside of self is a class which might include, baseball, cars, fishing, money, titles, a political party, power (both true and imagined) and a whole host of others. This class of things become a god when their importance becomes greater in ones life than God; they are worshiped (worth-ship). So if your neighbor plays golf on Sunday morning, rather than going to church, has he broken the commandment. How would I know, or you know, or any man know; it's not about how he spends his time, or where he goes, or what he does, it's about his heart; does he love God above all else, or does he worship something "other"?
Very well explained and easily understood.
Thank you.

In your opinion, eliminating the worldly idols and earthly items that you describe above, could the bible verse in question be referring to other gods that live/exist/dwell in a realm beyond our universe? In short, is your god acknowledging other gods similar to him?

That can not but lead to Trinity, which we are not going to discuss.
It can lead to other than Trinity if you take the advice you give me and read up on all the other gods that the people who wrote the Torah also believed existed in addition to the god of Abraham. There is a reason he is called the god of Abraham.

Don't want to deny any impression you have; it's yours and I can't know it; but I don't see how an old, skinny, worn-out, redneck, country carpenter from Missouri "can go scholastic" on anything. I use grammar & punctuation, often in violation of someone's rules, in an attempt to communicate as accurately as possible. The results show that I am not good at it, but that is my intent. I think people, with perhaps some exceptions, deserve the respect that I hope is reflected in my effort to be clear.
And your efforts are acknowledged and appreciated. Unfortunately, and I know I am guilty of it, with the way this site acts I try to get out what I am saying in short order to avoid having to lose a lengthy and properly spelled, punctuated, and capitalized reply.
I start short and expound upon as needed.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Philosophy, of itself, may seem a most useless thing to a man changing a tire in the rain.

Or when a man stops breathing in front of you and you immediately need to know your part in that matter. Or a person you are talking to in one moment suddenly rolls their eyes back in their head in the next and for you they have very much stopped "being there".
This is usually about the time in your posts where we realize that you are not addressing anything we are talking about and are going off on a tangent instead.
The eyes rolling back in our heads is unavoidable

It's easy to think that there are just "some times" when life and death (even if it be physical life and death) are on the line and have some vague hope that if and when...or when you are found facing it, you acquit yourself in such a manner your conscience comes through unscathed.

I don't expect children to understand the above. I expect children to have so little concern of conscience in most everything that they are easily satisfied with colleagues, in whatever form in mind "men around them" take in their authority to relieve (or accuse)...to be their final adjudicator. This itself sounds so vainly philosophical to them, as to be coming from the place of ultimate impracticality. It appears so useless a preoccupation where all that seems of matter is...if you are able to convince (first yourself) then others, that you have "done the best you can", you'll be fine.

To children, only some things are of import. They really do believe (and I believe them)...some things don't matter at all. That some things are able to be suspended in a place of zero consequence in themselves, and only determined by themselves, while they themselves unknowingly pursue what to them rebounds as "good consequence" tirelessly. In everything. Relentlessly. Doggedly. Even, rabidly. Dear, and ignorant, children. Believing the doing of "A" leads to "B", thence to "C" to my desired outcome, inevitably. And practice only reinforces to them, as it will, and must, their mistaken sufficiency in understanding, and also likewise reinforces to them...some things can be held to no consequence at all...as I am yet able to (in this order of mine) achieve. No hindrance is yet adequately known. No sufficient stumble is yet experienced.

The seeing of children does not make one's self a man. Children may see other children even to an identifying in differentiation from what they see as men. And just as seeing children does not make them full grown, neither should seeing of man be mistaken for apprehension of what it means to be...a man. All it means is power of observation to a differentiation with no implication that "if I see a man I must therefore be a man". I see a man.

I see a man. I see a man casually described as squirrel. I know why children like to speak thus. It's king of the hill play. Do you think I am either not a child, nor ever have been? It's "I can yet hold something to zero consequence...without consequence".

But the man I see holds the knowledge of a stumbling. And in this even appears to some as stumbling, perhaps mumbling...and is far more easily accused of being devious...than seen. Because one has not yet experienced the stumbling in themselves. Their wings, to them, remain all intact, lovely, perfect. They love their own image. But, this man? Just too easy to deride, too easy to dismiss...why...it would almost be a crime...not to.

Such a man to me, speaks of things, and seeks to, from his understanding honestly with a knowing that is very easily and casually, and must be, dismissed by children...they are simply not made able to bear such knowing. It is the knowing that all things are of consequence and this even to the things children spend promiscuously and in great incontinence...their own words. This man has learned that it is not "sometimes" life and death are on the line, but always present. Children of course, simply cannot appreciate or see his, or this discipline...or that to which he has made himself subject in the learning of it. To them, he is able to be called "squirrel" with no regard.

Now, just because I see a man...does not make me a man at all, I can still play "king of the hill" with the best of them...even if often losing...I can play. But one might be wise to consider when playing in the arena that is touted for the "more intelligent" that you don't run off one by deriding, or calling him a squirrel, a very one whose presence may be the only thing that makes it so.

I see, and smell cheesiness, oh! yes I do!

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Hey guys...is it always only "he who smelt it dealt it?"

When there are only two guys in the elevator, each absolutely knows who dealt it. But when the third walks in on the 4th floor...he'll see whether he's subject to subterfuge. And so will the one who dealt it...see who responds to subterfuge. I don't wonder why you guys hold so many side bars with one another to collectively judge a thing. And reinforce to one another, your standing in a matter. Or regard for a person.

There's maybe one "of you" who's a little embarrassed to see it done and rarely will engage in what is nothing else than open gossip. Like women deciding about the clothes on a third...or tacky shoes...or whatever. Not unlike...mean girls...at all. I'm just a child, but I have seen a few things...wives really don't like it when they discover their man has brought another woman home. Or is the "other woman".
So then, is that why words like gods, us and our are used in the bible?

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
You told me about authors that you recommend I do not read, then mention umpteen books(none by name) that you say will leave the reader unsure.

I am sorry. I see that I said "I'm not recommending" and gave the reason which applies to my ability to comprehend them (that does not mean that you can't do much better). I didn't know that you would take my "not recommending" to mean that I recommend that you "do not read". As I have seen, and heard, "not recommending" I understood it be a neutral stance, neither encouraging or discouraging; although I do recall it being used as a threat similar to " if you do I'll xxx" . I failed in my effort to be clear.

As for the umpteen books; I don't know the names, I haven't read them. It's not that I never read books about philosophers or theologians, but I shy away from them in preference to getting it from the original source. Those umpteen are easily found by putting the subject authors name in the "keyword" search of any major book seller. Such opinion pieces are probably available on line as well.

I wanted to know a few of the hundreds if sources you know of from a few pages back.

As I recall that refered to something that is available in every, or nearly every, Bible Commentary, of which there are hundreds. Why would you want one opinion when you have hundreds available at your fingertips. I believe that was my point. You can even tell them that they don't know what they are talking about, or that they give no consideration to x,y, or z. I do it all the time.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
Draw whatever theological conclusions you want of the alterations that have been made over time to the texts. Doesn’t change the fact they exist. Facts are stubborn things.

Sure the texts have changed over time, for a variety of reasons, some incidental and some nefarious. But I fail to see how accurate conclusions can be arrived at when all spiritual considerations are ignored while working with texts written by spiritual men concerning spiritual subjects. Makes no sense to this hillbilly.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
If you really care about accuracy the Bible must really give you fits. Of course your nitpicking has far less to do with accuracy and much more to do with avoiding his point. Anything to avoid that. Squirrel! :bounce:

I don't know what the point was, when I saw that it was based on error I read it but didn't pay attention to what I was reading.
Squirrel! You should meet my Sweetie, she's the squirrel chaser. She'll make you dizzy going over the grocery list. If she were a squirrel dog she'd be down over the hill every time a leaf fell.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
You know exactly what we mean and exactly what we are talking about. But instead of answering us, you are grading papers. If you can pick out our mistakes and tell us how they should be corrected, then you know what we are asking and saying.

* We are talking about the First Commandment of the Ten Commandments, you don't have to be a Bible student to know how it goes; what is it, 7 or 8 words.
*Didn't I tell you a couple day ago that I was a pain in the butt.
*Please quite asking me questions and tell me to go home. I desperately need to do that anyway; and could be pushed to it at any time.

Oh, your last sentence is a non sequitur. ;)