Mahindra Tractors...any good?

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Thinking about getting a small tractor with front bucket.
Mahindra has a 25 h.p. at about half what a Kubota costs.
All input is welcome.

shdw633

Thinking about getting a small tractor with front bucket.
Mahindra has a 25 h.p. at about half what a Kubota costs.
All input is welcome.

Wondering that myself and for the same reason.

CTP

I own a Mahindra 5555 with front end loader that is about two years old with 215 hours on it and have not had any problems with it. We also have a Massey and JD, the Mahindra is as strong or stronger than both. It has actually replaced both of the others for bush hogging. My FIL also has a 50 HP Mahindra with about 1500 hours and no problems and no complaints.

Buford_Dawg

My buddy just bought one back in Sept of 18. The 25 HP HST Shuttle Shift model. He did all our foodplots and bushhogging last fall on 2 properties. It performed flawlessly and easily handled a 5 foot bushhog. I was totally impressed. We did summer foodplots with it this summer. Apparently Mahindtra is the #1 selling tractor now, at least in the compact models. I dont think it was that much cheaper than Kubota as he priced both out and I think the difference was less than 2k.

Last edited:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I have had my 5570 4WD for just over a year, and have just over 125 hours on it. The only issue I have had was when it was new, and about 15 degrees, I couldn't get the lift to go down. There is an isolation valve to hold it up in transport mode, and it wouldn't move because the fluid was so cold and thick. The local Mahindra dealer sent a mechanic and service truck over the next morning and fixed it. I also told them in the cold weather the battery seemed like it was a little weak when you first tried to crank it after sitting for a couple days. They put in a brand new battery when they fixed the isolation valve.

That is about as trouble free a tractor as I ever had.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
FWIW, I gave 33,400 tax, tag, title, dealer prep and all options out the door delivered for my 5570. I got it with the ag tires instead of the commercial tires. If I am gonna get it stuck, I want to bury it to the hood pins.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Nothing wrong with them at all!!!!!

John Cooper

Folks that have been farming for a while remember when Kubota first came to the states, they were good tractors but rough around the edges. They were cheaper than anything else at the time, Kubota listened to what people wanted with design and such and now are one of the best out there. Mahindra has done the same thing. Their tractors now don't resemble the first ones they imported.

John Cooper

Man that tractor is pretty........ wish I could say........

Hey Kmac how ya doing!!!!!

lonewolf247

The first Mahindra tractors way back from when they were first available, were not the best tractors. I knew several people who had them, and the ones that really worked them, and put many hours on them had problems.

Fast forward today, I don't currently know many people in my area who have them, so I honestly can't say. Just speaking from my perspective, and if I were going to invest a decent sum of money on a tractor, I would be hesitant. That's just me though, once I formed an opinion of them years back, it's hard for me to get past that.

I have always bought used tractors, many from the 50's, 60's, and 70's. I even have a couple from the 40's. Most are Allis Chalmers, because they were built simple, and dependable, and I know how to work on them. That being said, buying older tractors, and having to tinker on them a little, is not for everyone.

If I were to go out and buy a new tractor, I would look at what the farmers use, what the levee boards use, what do people who bale hay use, and what other people who use tractors to make a living use. You also have to consider the horsepower you are looking at, and what brands seem to offer the best tractors for that given horsepower.

I'm sorry I got carried away. Ha... I'll be honest, for the size tractor your looking for, I would go with a Kubota. If the cost is too much new, I would find a very clean, low hour, used one.

You say the cost of the Mahindra is near half, that sounds sorta extreme? It may be, I honestly don't know, but you have to compare apples to apples. Anyhow, I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm only one opinion. I wish you good luck with whatever brand you choose!

Last edited:

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
For pricing I was using the Thomasville Mahindra dealer website.
They show a 25 h.p. with loader for around $23,000 MSRP with a $9600 dealer rebate.
That's about $13,400 for the tractor.
Not a bad price in my opinion.

HuntingFool

I am also looking at a compact tractor with a loader to use at the house and at the lease. They are all priced about the same out the door. I have gotten quotes on them all with loader, bush hog, disc, box scrape and trailer. All of the manufacturers came within 2k of each other. It just comes down to preference of features and reliability. Each one has its pros and cons. Myself, I will most likely be going with a Deere.

Rick Alexander

I have the John Deere 870 with a bucket and 4WD standard gears. Great tractor that'll surprise you with it's capability for a 25 HP tractor. That particular model and the 970 had a problem with the clutch sticking to the plate if you didn't use it for a while (lets say a month) and it rained. The new clutch they make to replace it supposedly doesn't have such a big problem but they quote the price for the parts only at Ag Supply was in excess of $2500. Absolutely insane. I've always heard parts for their stuff is a ripoff and I believe that now for sure.

Better check around to see what parts availability and costs are relative to others in your area before you decide whatever brand you choose. Believe me it will be an issue at some point.

shdw633

For pricing I was using the Thomasville Mahindra dealer website.
They show a 25 h.p. with loader for around $23,000 MSRP with a $9600 dealer rebate.
That's about $13,400 for the tractor.
Not a bad price in my opinion.

They have a 41 hp on there for $12000 after rebates but it doesn't have a FEL. I think that's a great price.

Jethro8410

Any paint is cheaper than green paint and I own 10 of them. I will say I do have a lil 95hp Kubota 4x4 with a fel that is tough but for everyday use and longevity I'll stay green

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I am also looking at a compact tractor with a loader to use at the house and at the lease. They are all priced about the same out the door. I have gotten quotes on them all with loader, bush hog, disc, box scrape and trailer. All of the manufacturers came within 2k of each other. It just comes down to preference of features and reliability. Each one has its pros and cons. Myself, I will most likely be going with a Deere.

in that horsepower range, go buy you a Yanmar, and save yourself a few thousand $$. Yanmar builds those hp tractors for JD anyway, so you really are just paying for green paint and pretty decals

TomC

In my shopping I have been totally unimpressed with the smaller JD 25HP E series. BUT......they have a new D series 25HP (3025D) that will be hitting the scene in the next few months that has really good specs. Much heavier duty than the E series, only comes in gear drive but does have a shuttle shift. Pretty much an old school no frills tractor. I'll be checking it out before I buy otherwise I'm buying orange (Kubota 2501 or Kioti CK2610). Tractorbynet.com is great site to educate yourself as well as here!