Falconer for squirrels

ucfireman

I would like to offer my place for any falconer that would like to come over. I'm in Coweta north of Newnan. Anytime of season. PM if interested.

4x4

We are always looking for new property to hunt our raptors on. I am on the Board of Directors for GA Falconry Association. PM sent

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Hey @4x4, could you describe what would be the ideal property for you guys to hunt. I would imagine that more open big woods would be preferred to the typical pine plantation we have so much of.

Reactions: 4x4

treemanjohn

Banned
We are always looking for new property to hunt our raptors on. I am on the Board of Directors for GA Falconry Association. PM sent
If you're looking for land in Metro Atlanta my kids and I would love to host ya'll. We're slap covered up with squirrels

4x4

Hey @4x4, could you describe what would be the ideal property for you guys to hunt. I would imagine that more open big woods would be preferred to the typical pine plantation we have so much of.

We look for property at least 30 acres. The more the better. The reason is b/c these animals can fly over 10 acres in a minutes time. Usually the hawks stay within sight or hearing distance of the bells they wear. We like hardwoods for squirrels, and open, grown up fields with briar patches for the bunnies. We shy away from property with a lot of powerlines(#1 killer of wild raptors), for the birds safety.
Pines are ok, especially if would allow us to chase fox squirrels;-)

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Thank you 4x4. I expect that a lot of our members might like to watch raptors in action. I know that I would. I have about 400 acres mostly planted pines but with some old whiteoaks in a 10 acre area on the front. There is a distribution power line right of way along the back side. I am in McDuffie and direct you to the county aerial maps of the property so that you can have a look. I very rarely see a fox squirrel as we have very few of the old longleaf pines that they prefer. PM for more info.

4x4

Thank you 4x4. I expect that a lot of our members might like to watch raptors in action. I know that I would. I have about 400 acres mostly planted pines but with some old whiteoaks in a 10 acre area on the front. There is a distribution power line right of way along the back side. I am in McDuffie and direct you to the county aerial maps of the property so that you can have a look. I very rarely see a fox squirrel as we have very few of the old longleaf pines that they prefer. PM for more info.

We encourage anyone who has never seen a trained raptor hunt, to join on the hunt. The more folks on the ground walking around, the better chances of flushing game for the hawks. They dont see strangers as a hinderance. They learn the more people in the woods, they have a better chance of pursuing game. I appreciate your offer and will be contacting you.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
There’s a good many in your area. They came to our farm several years ago in a competition hunt. Didn’t get a lot (VERY high winds that day) but my dad thought that was one of the coolest things he had ever seen
Still talks about it