2019 Habersham Season

HabershamHunter85

I figured i'd start the Habersham thread for this season. Anyone seeing any good bucks? I got some nice ones hitting the acorns, i'll be in my blind hoping to see one Saturday morning. It'll be hot but i'd rather be hunting then sitting in the A\C doing nothing.

Triple C

HH8...Hope you get locals guys contributing to this thread. The Oglethorpe County thread has turned into a jewel with so many guys participating over the past good many years. I've really got to know a number of them, some in person and others from so many posts back and forth. I think sometimes people are concerned with others knowing where they hunt but the reality is that 99.9% of the responders are just really good guys willing to help others in their area.

HabershamHunter85

I agree, so many people worry about who is going to find out where they hunt. I don't care, more power to them if they shoot a buck near me. I just like to talk hunting, especially hunting in my area. I also hunt Lincoln County a good bit on some property we got down there, but there is nothing like hunting your stomping grounds where you grew up hunting. Thanks for the reply, good luck this season!

tree cutter 08

How did it go this weekend? I've about quit hunting habersham. Hardly any deer left where I hunt. Ran a few cams over the summer and got tons of bear pics where I use to see a lot of deer.

HabershamHunter85

How did it go this weekend? I've about quit hunting habersham. Hardly any deer left where I hunt. Ran a few cams over the summer and got tons of bear pics where I use to see a lot of deer.

Walked in at 6AM to check a camera I have at the edge of a field I hunt sometimes that has been picking up several nice bucks, actually the pic I posted above, and jumped a good 6 pointer. After that went and sat in my ladder stand till 11, didn't see a thing. My ladder stand over looks some white oaks that have a been dropping a good amount of acorns, lots of sign but no luck this past Saturday. I've hunted Habersham my whole life and yes the deer population is very low. I'm glad they lowered the doe days and completely did away with them on Gov land. I mostly hunted Gov land until just recently, now I hunt my dads most of the time. But I still go hunt Tallulah falls from time to time up around Shirley Grove. I think the bear and coyote are also one of the main reason's the deer population is hurting. I have killed several coyotes over the years and if I see a bear I will harvest it as well.

HabershamHunter85

Saw this massive Spike last Saturday. On my trail cam the big boys are usually with him, unfortunately he was on his own that morning. I've been practicing self filming, so the start of the video is black since I forgot to open the lens cover :cool:.

Last edited:

HabershamHunter85

Any updates on hunting in Habersham? Not seeing a whole lot of movement right now. Are we looking late November for rut?

Been finding some good rubs and sign, but haven't seen a lot of movement yet. I have heard from others the young bucks are starting to cruise a little, but nothing to show the does are ready. I think the two weeks after this week will be the time to be in the woods as well as this week. I always lock in the 17th to the 31st.

It's funny, late September and early October I had several massive bucks on camera and now I haven't seen any big bucks on camera since. I'm still new to hunting, but is this normal behavior?

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I don't really hunt in Hab.

I hunt in north stephens and right on the line in Rayburn though.
Traditionally I see the most rutting activity right at thanksgiving. Ive seen good activity on up to Christmas too.

HabershamHunter85

It's funny, late September and early October I had several massive bucks on camera and now I haven't seen any big bucks on camera since. I'm still new to hunting, but is this normal behavior?

Yea, it's pretty normal. I always have good bucks on camera up till October then they vanish. I still will get them on camera from time to time, but not as much. They will start showing up here in the next weeks with the rut starting.

HabershamHunter85

I don't really hunt in Hab.

I hunt in north stephens and right on the line in Rayburn though.
Traditionally I see the most rutting activity right at thanksgiving. Ive seen good activity on up to Christmas too.

Yea, the buck in my avatar was shot Nov 27th. I love that week, have shot several good bucks around that time. I was actually looking on Google maps at the Stephens Habersham line the other day. Was thinking about scouting around pumping station road. You ever hunt over in that area Thunder Head?

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I mostly hunt east of there.

If your willing to walk there's a lot of woods back there though.

HabershamHunter85

Yea, that's mostly what I hunt. I have some private land in Northern Habersham I hunt, but I mostly NF land. If you hunt in the Northern part I tell you some good places to go.

Yea, that's mostly what I hunt. I have some private land in Northern Habersham I hunt, but I mostly NF land. If you hunt in the Northern part I tell you some good places to go.

Right now I am hunting at my property near Pea Ridge and Duncan Bridge. Any public land you would like to share with me would be great. I am still new to hunting, my father-in-law is showing me the ropes, but it never hurts to have alternatives.

HabershamHunter85

Right now I am hunting at my property near Pea Ridge and Duncan Bridge. Any public land you would like to share with me would be great. I am still new to hunting, my father-in-law is showing me the ropes, but it never hurts to have alternatives.

If your hunting Pea Ridge and Duncan Bridge, your in a good area. There have been some good bucks killed in that area. I'll message you some places.