Ruger MK IV vs Browning Buckmark

pacecars

OK, I am now trying to decide between the Browning Buckmark and the Ruger MK IV. Both are 4 inch barrels with threaded barrels with comps. The Browning is new for $389 and the Ruger is used for $375 and has a throwaway red dot sight on it. The comp will be replaced with a suppressor and used for squirrel hunting.

C7-D6-FC0-A-E0-A2-44-D9-8126-2-A3-E142-A328-D.jpg

1EA37742-BCF5-4E59-89B8-4AB28FB78A91.jpg

ryanh487

I love my ruger, and my buckmark.

+1 to the buckmark is that the barrel is not the serialized part, it's easy to order online, and easy to change, where as the barrel assembly/ upper on the ruger is considered the firearm and must go through an FFL if you order an aftermarket replacement.

+1 to the ruger is the mkIV is very easy to break down, and mags are a little cheaper, available in reliable aftermarket brands, and much easier to find

Another +1 to ruger is that the slide is only open on one side, so it is a slightly quieter suppressor host.

I have a buckmark hunter, with the 7.25" bull barrel, vs my ruger 22/45 with 4.5" threaded barrel. The buckmark wins in accuracy, but it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

pacecars

I have been reading that the Buckmark are generally more accurate. I have had 3 or 4 Ruger MkIIs and MkIIIs with the pain in the butt takedown and they shot well enough. I haven’t had a Browning yet so that may be enough to tip the scales right there. Plus they do have a $25 rebate which takes it down a little which never hurts

Big7

The Oracle
Stay with the Ruger. The Browning started out as a more cost effective counter to the Ruger. The Browning has evolved into a better pistol than it was. Either will get the job done.

One alternative is the SR-22. Fine pistol. You can get factory threaded bbl and the protector for only $20.00 more than the basic.

I love mine. It's not as heavy as the others we are discussing. Very well made. Super accurate. Mine was $389.95 + tax. Super demand when I got mine. Prolly could get a little off now with cash.

pacecars

Just realized I put a pic of the wrong model up. This is the version I went with
213-DAC62-FD4-E-42-BD-ADB9-AFE9-F285-FF6-C.jpg

greg_n_clayton

I love my ruger, and my buckmark.

+1 to the buckmark is that the barrel is not the serialized part, it's easy to order online, and easy to change, where as the barrel assembly/ upper on the ruger is considered the firearm and must go through an FFL if you order an aftermarket replacement.

+1 to the ruger is the mkIV is very easy to break down, and mags are a little cheaper, available in reliable aftermarket brands, and much easier to find

Another +1 to ruger is that the slide is only open on one side, so it is a slightly quieter suppressor host.

I have a buckmark hunter, with the 7.25" bull barrel, vs my ruger 22/45 with 4.5" threaded barrel. The buckmark wins in accuracy, but it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison.
I was wondering the same thing a while back. I think I read somewhere where the new model Ruger was a a pain in the donkey to break down for cleaning ! Is there a newer model than the one he is inquiring about ? It talked about it being alot of trouble compared to the model just before it.

pacecars

I was wondering the same thing a while back. I think I read somewhere where the new model Ruger was a a pain in the donkey to break down for cleaning ! Is there a newer model than the one he is inquiring about ? It talked about it being alot of trouble compared to the model just before it.

The Mk III and before sucked for putting it back together and you had to tilt the pistol and get the little strut lined up just so. The Mk IV is just a simple push button take down

Last edited:

greg_n_clayton

The Mk III and before sucked for putting it back together and you had to tilt the pistol and get the little struts lunges up just so. The Mk IV is just a simple push button take down
Ok. I knew there was somthing about some of them.

ryanh487

As stated above the MKIV are VERY easy to take down. That's the whole buzz about them.

The old ones are complicated for sure, my local gunsmith has had many dropped off in pieces in a ziploc bag when an ambitious owner attempted a thorough cleaning or parts upgrade, only to give up on re-assembly after hours of frustration and failure.

greg_n_clayton

As stated above the MKIV are VERY easy to take down. That's the whole buzz about them.

The old ones are complicated for sure, my local gunsmith has had many dropped off in pieces in a ziploc bag when an ambitious owner attempted a thorough cleaning or parts upgrade, only to give up on re-assembly after hours of frustration and failure.
Ok. I knew there was something to do with issues of breaking them down for cleaning. I would like to find one with a long barrel ! I think I got a S&W M&P9 in yonder that I could let help me in my pursuit !

Hillbilly stalker

Ok. I knew there was something to do with issues of breaking them down for cleaning. I would like to find one with a long barrel ! I think I got a S&W M&P9 in yonder that I could let help me in my pursuit !
You tube has fixed that. It's not complicated at all. You just gotta hold your mouth right. A fellow usually doesn't break one down often enough to keep it fresh in your mind. If you how .....it takes about 30 seconds and a paper clip. They are fine pistols, I wouldn't let that stop me from owning one.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Glad you made your decision!!!

Either one will be a good pistol.

I wish someone would reintroduce the high standard pistols! To me those were the most accurate affordable .22 there ever was! Mine is a safe Queen and hasn't been shot since new...... I bought it NOS in the 90's.

greg_n_clayton

I been looking around here and yondrr. It seems when someone gets their hands on a MK IV,they don't go anywhere. Especially the long target/bull barreled ones !

pacecars

Of course I found a Supermatic Citation right after I got this one and the High Standard is my favorite so I will be getting rid of the Browning before I even fire it. It will not get any use with the HS around