2019 Oglethorpe County

Arrow3

Good sit yesterday afternoon. Wound up seeing 15 deer. Does and fawns mostly. Could have been a few of the same deer more then once. I cant be for sure. The worst part about the hunt was that while sitting in my climber in Oglethorpe, my #1 target buck was standing in front on my cell camera in oconee county at 7:10 pm. ?

Buford_Dawg

Sounds like a great hunt Brandon, nothing like seeing a steady stream of deer, time flies when that happens. Gonna be down later this afternoon to get in a couple of hunts and check trailcams to see if we have any shooters. Timber company started marking our trees and boundaries at SC this week, so I imagine they will be moving in the big machines and start logging right here at start of deer season. Figures... I will be spending majority of my hunting in the Glades area and Bethesda Church Road area this year.

Arrow3

Sounds like a great hunt Brandon, nothing like seeing a steady stream of deer, time flies when that happens. Gonna be down later this afternoon to get in a couple of hunts and check trailcams to see if we have any shooters. Timber company started marking our trees and boundaries at SC this week, so I imagine they will be moving in the big machines and start logging right here at start of deer season. Figures... I will be spending majority of my hunting in the Glades area and Bethesda Church Road area this year.
I sure hate it for you. I absolutely despise them cutting during deer season when you have paid to hunt. They have 9 months put of the year that they can cut it.

I wonder if it will push any my way since I'm so close to yall over there.

Buford_Dawg

Nice buck Brandon, I spent Friday afternoon and majority of Saturday in OC. Didn't get to hunt Friday as hoped due to unforeseen circumstance once I got to the property, so spent my time checking stands and pulling trailcam cards. Ran by CCC place, he was out hunting with fellow Woody members, so I missed him. Saw some does Saturday AM at SC. It sure is dry down that way, we probably another 2 weeks or more out before we do foodplots, need some rain in forecast, just don't see it.

transfixer

Nice buck Brandon, I spent Friday afternoon and majority of Saturday in OC. Didn't get to hunt Friday as hoped due to unforeseen circumstance once I got to the property, so spent my time checking stands and pulling trailcam cards. Ran by CCC place, he was out hunting with fellow Woody members, so I missed him. Saw some does Saturday AM at SC. It sure is dry down that way, we probably another 2 weeks or more out before we do foodplots, need some rain in forecast, just don't see it.

I got too anxious a couple weeks ago when there was supposed to be some rain on mon and tues, which never materialized, so what I put out is probably wasted, doesn't look like rain anytime soon, and this weekend is supposed to be hot like opening weekend ,,, grrr,,, I'm going to the lease Sat to take some stuff up there, but probably won't do much hunting, unless they change the forecast. I was all primed and ready for the season to get going, but this weather is putting a damper on things.

transfixer

I sure hate it for you. I absolutely despise them cutting during deer season when you have paid to hunt. They have 9 months put of the year that they can cut it.

I wonder if it will push any my way since I'm so close to yall over there.

It very well could cause some to relocate , at least temporarily, they thinned ours before season, and it seems to have disrupted their normal travel patterns, I think because of all the tops and debris that the loggers leave in various places, it also opened up some areas that were previously very thick, so now they don't have the same bedding areas they used to have. If it will go ahead and rain it will a lot easier to tell what travel lanes they are using now, the ground is so hard and dry its really hard to find tracks in a lot of places

Arrow3

It very well could cause some to relocate , at least temporarily, they thinned ours before season, and it seems to have disrupted their normal travel patterns, I think because of all the tops and debris that the loggers leave in various places, it also opened up some areas that were previously very thick, so now they don't have the same bedding areas they used to have. If it will go ahead and rain it will a lot easier to tell what travel lanes they are using now, the ground is so hard and dry its really hard to find tracks in a lot of places
I've got plenty of does , I just need it to run a few of his big bucks my way ???

Todd E

@transfixer don't let the heat beat you..........I started hunting opening morning and went all the way through yesterday morning. I did skip one day for errands and skipped some am hunts in order to not spook deer. Played the scent game best I could. Watched the wind directions. Walked to stand at the speed of a turtle. All the effort finally paid off.

**not an OC deer**70751978_2613111812054037_945832561144233984_n.jpg

Todd E

Way to get it done Todd! Give us the backstory on that hunt. Great pic!

My wife and I hunted locally, but it didn't pan out. It didn't take her long to say that she was done with hunting in the heat. LoL So, I headed south Thursday morning. Upon arrival, I pulled the card from my cam. Running untouched for two months. Out of several bucks, we agreed on two shooters at my cam. I had one infrequent stud(rack and age) and the one I shot(age).

Thursday eve found me in my climber where three trails head to my feeder. I end up with this buck following two others. He was snort wheezing his head off. He got to 20 yards and caught the last half of my draw cycle. Hopped off and went back to wheezing.

Friday eve I moved climber 30 yards. Ended up with a nice non shooter walking right by me. Trail cam revealed my shooter was standing at feeder.

Saturday eve, the nice non shooter walks by.

I never hunted in the mornings in order to not bump the deer. I made the decision to go for broke Sunday morning. It was my last chance. I won't be going back for weeks. I started sneaking in at 530am. Felt confident about my approach. As I sat in the stand overlooking the feeder lane under total darkness, Flat Nine/High and Tight started fighting where my climber was located. I made the right decision to not try and get in climber.

As dawn begin to break, I could see Flat Nine under the feeder. High and Tight stepped out. East wind blowing right at feeder. I've done everything to control every item on me for scent. My ozonics is pointed right at feeder. All is good while I wait on enough light for a 54 yard shot. I'm mentally prepared. Prepared for trajectory and deer duck.
Everything was good until H&T started scent checking that east wind. He had caught something and he knew it wasn't right. Now or never.....send it.

I see the Lumenoc sailing and smack. He dropped the entire height of his body. Man. Spined him. Had to bail out and go finish him off with another. It was a very fun week.
I wish I had changed cam to 30 second vids.

fullsizeoutput_26.jpegfullsizeoutput_27.jpeg

Triple C

My wife and I hunted locally, but it didn't pan out. It didn't take her long to say that she was done with hunting in the heat. LoL So, I headed south Thursday morning. Upon arrival, I pulled the card from my cam. Running untouched for two months. Out of several bucks, we agreed on two shooters at my cam. I had one infrequent stud(rack and age) and the one I shot(age).

Thursday eve found me in my climber where three trails head to my feeder. I end up with this buck following two others. He was snort wheezing his head off. He got to 20 yards and caught the last half of my draw cycle. Hopped off and went back to wheezing.

Friday eve I moved climber 30 yards. Ended up with a nice non shooter walking right by me. Trail cam revealed my shooter was standing at feeder.

Saturday eve, the nice non shooter walks by.

I never hunted in the mornings in order to not bump the deer. I made the decision to go for broke Sunday morning. It was my last chance. I won't be going back for weeks. I started sneaking in at 530am. Felt confident about my approach. As I sat in the stand overlooking the feeder lane under total darkness, Flat Nine/High and Tight started fighting where my climber was located. I made the right decision to not try and get in climber.

As dawn begin to break, I could see Flat Nine under the feeder. High and Tight stepped out. East wind blowing right at feeder. I've done everything to control every item on me for scent. My ozonics is pointed right at feeder. All is good while I wait on enough light for a 54 yard shot. I'm mentally prepared. Prepared for trajectory and deer duck.
Everything was good until H&T started scent checking that east wind. He had caught something and he knew it wasn't right. Now or never.....send it.

I see the Lumenoc sailing and smack. He dropped the entire height of his body. Man. Spined him. Had to bail out and go finish him off with another. It was a very fun week.
I wish I had changed cam to 30 second vids.

View attachment 984157View attachment 984158

Great story! Amazing how much a deer will drop before the arrow/bolt reaches the animal. I was filming a buddy many, many years ago, probably 1989 or 90, and he missed a chip shot at no more than 12 yds with his old slow compound. We got home and watched the video and couldn't believe the deer actually dropped half her body height before the arrow arrived and sailed right over her back.

Way to get it done! Assume you gonna put your artistic skills to work and create a masterpiece with the rack.

Buford_Dawg

I did. Was a hot and humid day for sure. Hunted couple of hours, then did some work around the clubs. Finally left my SC club around 2, too hot to even consider hunting this evening. Sitting on back porch now with cold drink chilling and wore slap out. Next weekend appears cooler, I got to shoot my ML and several rifles next weekend to make sure they are ready. Still hadn't seen a whiteoak acorn on the ground on any of my 3 properties so far.

Todd E

I did a ride by on the dirt road mid day. Apparently, it rained overnight. Cupped leaves had water in them. Dust was settled. Some low road ditches had some moisture in them.