Lake Lanier Shore, bait, etc...

Rugby1974

I’m thinking about heading to Lake Lanier and shore fishing this weekend. I’m not far from 400. I haven’t fished in a long time, and I don’t have any equipment or tackle. I’d like to keep and eat what I catch, if it’s “safe”. I’m partial to smaller fish such as crappie or bream, but I’m open to bass. Where would you recommend I go (Two Mile Creek, Little Ridge Park, etc..), and what tackle would you buy just running into the local Walmart? Which Rod, Reel, setup, tackle, etc...I can also buy live bait.

LittleDrummerBoy

Tough time of year for shore fishing Lanier. If you can make it to Balus Creek Park by sunrise tomorrow, you can jump in my boat. I have all the needed gear. Planning to still fish with bait deep in locations where we've been marking lots of fish in sonar these past couple weeks. All you need is a license and willingness to wear a life jacket. PM me for more details/questions.

You'd have dibbs on any fish.

Scout'nStripers

I’m thinking about heading to Lake Lanier and shore fishing this weekend. I’m not far from 400. I haven’t fished in a long time, and I don’t have any equipment or tackle. I’d like to keep and eat what I catch, if it’s “safe”. I’m partial to smaller fish such as crappie or bream, but I’m open to bass. Where would you recommend I go (Two Mile Creek, Little Ridge Park, etc..), and what tackle would you buy just running into the local Walmart? Which Rod, Reel, setup, tackle, etc...I can also buy live bait.
I'd definitely check out Little Ridge park for walking the shore fishing. I live on Bald Ridge creek and pick up a lot of my fishing clients at Little Ridge park. Right now the topwater bite is picking up and there are a few points around the park where you can catch a topwater fish. I see them bust the surface around the park every time I go there. For topwater lures carry a small whopper plopper and a walking bait like a Sammy. If you have a popper definitely try that. Soft or hard swimbaits will work well right now and if you want to finesse fish throw a small shakeyhead rig with a 4-5 inch worm. While your at Little ridge look across the creek at May Alice park. There is a point at the park with a sea wall and guard rails. That point is always good for a shoreline bass or striper on topwater early in the morning. Good luck!!

Coenen

S'nS's good advice
Just tell everyone, why don't you? :LOL:

Definitely getting to be that time of year where you can expect to catch a few from the bank. The Corps has done us a solid and pulled the lake down a tad too, which really opens up to opportunities for shore fishing. My 1-2 punch from the bank was always a topwater that I could throw for distance, like a Sammy or Sammy clone, Spook, etc. and a Texas-rigged finesse worm(watermelon seed). A shakey head works great, but I find the stand-up style heads like the Spot Remover(for example) get snagged up really easily on certain types of bottoms and you may find yourself going through them quickly. The ol' T-Rig will still catch fish and isn't such a shot to the wallet if you break a few off.

Teh Wicked

Dang it Jim, Little Ridge is my goto for the Kayak and getting away from the idiot army...Stop giving away the honey hole.

Scout'nStripers

Dang it Jim, Little Ridge is my goto for the Kayak and getting away from the idiot army...Stop giving away the honey hole.
If that's one of your honey holes you need to find some better honey holes. That place is busier than a public toilet at a free beer festival...LOL

Teh Wicked

If that's one of your honey holes you need to find some better honey holes. That place is busier than a public toilet at a free beer festival...LOL

Got to take what I can get in the Kayak, until I can get my trolling motor setup on the new Yak I'm limited on how far I can travel from the ramp. Little Ridge has always been good to me...Seems like everyone that comes in there rips right past all kinds of good fishing in favor of creek mouths, or rounding the point and heading towards the Dam. My PB striper came from the little ridge area.

Scout'nStripers

Got to take what I can get in the Kayak, until I can get my trolling motor setup on the new Yak I'm limited on how far I can travel from the ramp. Little Ridge has always been good to me...Seems like everyone that comes in there rips right past all kinds of good fishing in favor of creek mouths, or rounding the point and heading towards the Dam. My PB striper came from the little ridge area.
I was just giving you a hard time. Little Ridge has always been a good producer and always will be IMO. Those bass cycle in and out of that area 24/7.