Time for a hog killing

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve had these on cam at my lease for the last 2 weeks every afternoon around 6 in the afternoon , I’m wanting to deer hunt but my daughter is ready to shoot something so I guess this is where we will be tomorrow afternoon , maybe some dead pictures to come D4D1EDC1-AB3F-44B3-A643-082A4198796C.jpeg7F3C0005-DBFC-40F4-9C4E-4F30DD3BBE76.jpeg20FB2EA5-7E8F-4965-93C4-F23A6A86903B.jpeg

Mark K

Banned
Holy bacon! Looks like you have the monopoly on the pork! A cell cam, a light, and an AR or shotgun with 00 Buck could really put a dent in the population!

georgia_home

That big ole boy would make some good meals. Sausage, steaks, roasts
And so would the rest.

Tear 'm Up

antharper

Staff member
Holy bacon! Looks like you have the monopoly on the pork! A cell cam, a light, and an AR or shotgun with 00 Buck could really put a dent in the population!
Nothing we do puts a dent in them , ocmulgee River swamp has been full of hogs for as long as I can remember , they are trapped dogged and a ton killed during deer season , and we always have about the same amount ... a lot !

Keith Karr

Antharper it looks like y’all need to both take shotguns with buckshot and try and get them all with a few quick shots.

Some big boars there. If you're gonna use 00 buck, you'd better aim for the heads on those big boars. I doubt that buckshot will get through the shields on them. Of course it will kill the smaller ones and even the sows just fine shooting for the vitals.

Good luck and happy BBQ!!

the copper plated stuff does better

I don't doubt you in the least. But, I have had a really big boar's shield stop a 270gr Speer Gold Dot out of a Marlin 44mag Carbine at 45yds. That "wound" didn't even bleed.... lol. I'll post up a couple of pics in a bit of that bullet that we dug out of the onside shield.

It's #2 here. #1 was taken out of his neck (my first shot) and I shot him in the shoulder with #2 as he was getting back up. 3 more shots got him quiet enough to load into the truck...lol.thumbnail-175.jpeg

thumbnail-176.jpeg

Last edited:

longrangedog

If you want to make a big dent in the population you need to trap them. They're not stupid and will not keep returning for you to kill them one or two at a time. If you enjoy hunting them (and don't trap them) you'll always have hogs around to shoot. If you are a deer hunter you'll soon find out that deer and hogs don't mix. As the hogs increase in number the deer will move out. Dogging them doesn't do much either. As you're killing a few each year the sows are dropping multiple litters of 6 or more that will be breeding and producing litters of their own before they're a year old. The numbers are amazing. The corral trap (Utube) catches multiple hogs over a long period for about $150 in materials and if you've got lots of money the commercial remote control traps ($10K) do an even better job. All the old diseases that have been eradicated from the domestic hog population are present in feral hogs. You can get several serious diseases from contact with hogs while processing them or by eating undercooked pork. What appears on the surface as a bonanza of fun and freezers of free meat can cause serious problems. Hogs are bad news.

Blackston

If you want to make a big dent in the population you need to trap them. They're not stupid and will not keep returning for you to kill them one or two at a time. If you enjoy hunting them (and don't trap them) you'll always have hogs around to shoot. If you are a deer hunter you'll soon find out that deer and hogs don't mix. As the hogs increase in number the deer will move out. Dogging them doesn't do much either. As you're killing a few each year the sows are dropping multiple litters of 6 or more that will be breeding and producing litters of their own before they're a year old. The numbers are amazing. The corral trap (Utube) catches multiple hogs over a long period for about $150 in materials and if you've got lots of money the commercial remote control traps ($10K) do an even better job. All the old diseases that have been eradicated from the domestic hog population are present in feral hogs. You can get several serious diseases from contact with hogs while processing them or by eating undercooked pork. What appears on the surface as a bonanza of fun and freezers of free meat can cause serious problems. Hogs are bad news.
You do understand Ant is quite the outdoorsman ? I think he was just venting a little bit about his swine dilemma.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I don't doubt you in the least. But, I have had a really big boar's shield stop a 270gr Speer Gold Dot out of a Marlin 44mag Carbine at 45yds.

I don't doubt that either and have seen a 7mm Mag not penetrate...I was just saying there would be a better chance of it with copper plated shot. The lead shot deforms sooo much quicker. I'm not even sure I would shoot a boar with buckshot in the body...but I would any of those sows or pigs with it.

It really depends on the hog too...if you got one that likes to fight it may be thicker/tougher than say a Bar or one that isn't all scared up and fatty.

3 more shots got him quiet enough to load into the truck...lol

:ROFLMAO:

I don't doubt that either and have seen a 7mm Mag not penetrate...I was just saying there would be a better chance of it with copper plated shot. The lead shot deforms sooo much quicker. I'm not even sure I would shoot a boar with buckshot in the body...but I would any of those sows or pigs with it.

It really depends on the hog too...if you got one that likes to fight it may be thicker/tougher than say a Bar or one that isn't all scared up and fatty.

:ROFLMAO:

Absolutely! Our guest killed the biggest of the trip in 2016, this gorgeous big brown boar. Big cutters, but zilch for a shield. A barred boar, one of the few they've ever seen at Blaine's place.

thumbnail-178.jpeg

antharper

Staff member
You do understand Ant is quite the outdoorsman ? I think he was just venting a little bit about his swine dilemma.
Ha ha , no dilemma, actually love hunting them and eating them , actually fresh out of good ol organic sausage and very fortunate to have plenty of places to deer hunt , and only about half 2000ac of my lease holds them year round, little miss blackston still smiling after her hunt , my legs have finally quit hurting after our bear hunt !

Blackston

Ha ha , no dilemma, actually love hunting them and eating them , actually fresh out of good ol organic sausage and very fortunate to have plenty of places to deer hunt , and only about half 2000ac of my lease holds them year round, little miss blackston still smiling after her hunt , my legs have finally quit hurting after our bear hunt !
She sure is !!! 30 -30 did a pod cast interview with her it’s pretty entertaining!!

Mark K

Banned
Wonder how my little AR shooting 62gr Fusions manages to kill them?
And y’all have come to terms with them, down here we haven’t. I will dump all three shots of buckshot in the sounder then check the trail cams a couple days later and see how many survived. I don’t even trail them anymore. As long as they die somewhere other than where I shot them, I really don’t care. We’ll keep the smaller ones for the grill, the bigger ones feed the buzzards. I hate hogs about as much as I hate coyotes.

Bullochcountyhunter

Suppressed a/r, thermal and a electric golf kart netted me and two buddies 42 confirmed kills in one peanut field last year. Dunno how many we shot and they got out of the field. We ran out of people to call to get them. Drug 10+ to back of field and let the buzzards have them. I'm not gonna say we eradicated them there, but it was close. They have yet to return.