2019 Oglethorpe County

jbird1

jbird, I'd hunt. You can find out about that game after dark.

Ha....no doubt. It'll be a game time decision I suppose. I could see myself doing an extended morning hunt til 1 or 2 and then rolling into camp for the game. The conditions will be perfect and it's that time of year so big decisions ahead.

Buford_Dawg

Going back down tomorrow evening after work. Looks like cold weather coming in, should get the deer on their feet. I expect to hear alot of shooting this weekend with the does days starting Saturday, I know several guys in my camp are wanting a doe, they let them walk last year and never got anything. I think they gonna try early this year. I am waiting till after Turkey day to take a doe, if I havent gotten a nice buck by then. I will be in the stand Saturday afternoon, with my phone checking on the UGA game. I am sure my son's and wife will be texting me as well, good or bad, LOL... Good luck OC'ers, I hope you all get a nice one.

Steven037

Man they were moving today. Saw 6 in the food plot this am and took a nice doe. Got in a woods stand about 2:45 and saw 12 and took an even better doe. Even got done cleaned skinned and hung in time to watch the last quarter of the DAWGS beating the gators. Might just sleep in tomorrow.

Attachments

• 409619D1-DAE9-47D1-AF7E-470B3F6F9D1F.jpeg
    409619D1-DAE9-47D1-AF7E-470B3F6F9D1F.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 17
  • C87D617A-A618-487C-8E1C-AA057A450D93.jpeg
    C87D617A-A618-487C-8E1C-AA057A450D93.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 17

Triple C

Magic time of year in OC to be in the woods. Bucks are on full cruise patrol. This one came by at 9:00 a.m. Saturday morn.
090774E8-E9B2-4439-8622-19870A8CDAA5.jpeg

Saturday afternoon this feller was chasing does all around this plot. Game camera set on video caught a lot of the action. Check out the orange blob between his rack in the tree at the end of the food plot. Had a recurve in my hand so just sat and watched the show as they didn’t make it down where I was sitting. Just goes to prove that they don’t see blaze orange.
FED452AE-AD0A-4B71-A10C-B1DF6DF80EBD.jpeg

jbird1

Nice buck TC!

We had a great weekend. We took 5 deer total on our place... 1 good buck, 3 small bucks, and one doe. I think it's the perfect mix for maintaining a healthy herd. The bucks were really pushing/chasing good as I had anticipated. Saturday was one of those hunts where I didn't know if I saw 15 deer or 30 the way they were running in circles. My favorite part was the 2.5 yr old buck that was running around snort-wheezing in the middle of a pack of does. Looking forward to next weekend already!!

To top things off, it was good to see the Dawgs get their third win in a row over Florida while hanging out on the Sandy Hilltop. Technology does have some benefits I suppose. Good stuff!

Buford_Dawg

Just got home and settled in. Been in OC since last Thursday. Hunted hard and saw alot of deer, just nothing that made me say WOW. Multiple young bucks cruising and looking. We had one big buck shot at and missed and one big buck that my son decided needed to walk. After seeing the picture of it, I cringed, I am thinking I have pressed maturity a little too much. Hopefully he sees it again, I believe he will take it if he does ;) Didnt hear much shooting in the Glades and BCR area, but I am thinking there are not many deer left within a couple mile radius of Sandy Cross. It sounded like a war both mornings I hunted there. Lots of does on tailgates and trailers going up and down the road. Good luck, the next 2 weeks are prime.

jbird1

Just thinking out loud here...what do yall's club rules look like as far as management goes? I know as a club, we have evolved over the years and have settled in on a common sense approach to deer management. In the early years, it was just a big deal to see deer so we didn't pay much attention to which animals we took and just loved any deer hanging on the pole. As time passed, we started getting interested in managing for quality bucks and working towards a better buck to doe ratio. This led to us letting the young bucks (1.5-2.5 and weaker 3.5 yr olds) walk and upping our doe harvest. After several years of implementing these goals, our deer herd numbers steadily got fewer and fewer. I know lots of folks were complaining about the herd in the piedmont during that time. We got so frustrated with the state of affairs that we decided to change our philosophy. Basically, we decided that it was far healthier for our herd to take small bucks for venison. I know some of you will cringe at this and disagree. That's ok. I'm a firm believer in hunting the way you want and as long as it falls within the State regs. I don't begrudge those who manage for quality bucks either. However, we came to the conclusion after trial and error that the does are, in fact, the lifeblood of our herd and that overharvesting of them is unhealthy and leads to a reduced quality of hunting based on animals seen. So, we shot 3 young bucks to 1 doe this past weekend...and one "good buck"(3.5 yr old.) To me, that ratio just feels right. I'm sure a few more does will be taken later in the season to further balance things. I can also guarantee that there are several older age class bucks in the herd so we aren't worried about that. Just curious of your thoughts and management strategies to see if hunters like the ones in my camp would be considered "brown it's down" types?

Last edited:

transfixer

Just thinking out loud here...what do yall's club rules look like as far as management goes? I know as a club, we have evolved over the years and have settled in on a common sense approach to deer management. In the early years, it was just a big deal to see deer so we didn't pay much attention to which animals we took and just loved any deer hanging on the pole. As time passed, we started getting interested in managing for quality bucks and working towards a better buck to doe ratio. This led to us letting the young bucks (1.5-2.5 and weaker 3.5 yr olds) walk and upping our doe harvest. After several years of implementing these goals, our deer herd numbers steadily got fewer and fewer. I know lots of folks were complaining about the herd in the piedmont during that time. We got so frustrated with the state of affairs that we decided to change our philosophy. Basically, we decided that it was far healthier for our herd to take small bucks for venison. I know some of you will cringe at this and disagree. That's ok. I'm a firm believer in hunting the way you want and as long as it falls within the State regs. I don't begrudge those who manage for quality bucks either. However, we came to the conclusion after trial and error that the does are, in fact, the lifeblood of our herd and that overharvesting of them is unhealthy and leads to a reduced quality of hunting based on animals seen. So, we shot 3 young bucks to 1 doe this past weekend...and one "good buck"(3.5 yr old.) To me, that ratio just feels right. I'm sure a few more does will be taken later in the season to further balance things. I can also guarantee that there are several older age class bucks in the herd so we aren't worried about that. Just curious of your thoughts and management strategies to see if hunters like the ones in my camp would be considered "brown it's down" types?

That is basically what we have tried to do for the last 3 to 5 yrs on our lease, before that we were limiting how many does we took, but weren't taking any immature bucks, for the last 3yrs we've really not taken any does at all, I think one was taken last year by a member who hadn't seen many deer and got frustrated, but even though our lease is small, 366acres, we've noticed an increase in the population, last year there were 3 bucks taken, that I would call immature, and one nice buck that was at least 3.5 maybe 4.5 yrs old. this year everyone has vowed not to take a doe, and we'll shoot 1.5 yr old bucks if we want meat for the freezer, we've recently seen some smaller 8pts running around that we will let walk, in hopes they fill out some more next year or two,

I think what you guys are doing is on the right track, next year if we keep seeing an increase in the population like we have we might take two or three does, but we're satisifed with the ratio we have right now, at least going by our trail cam pictures.

Buford_Dawg

Jbird, There are so many opinions on Deer Mgmt. I think it really depends on the deer herd on your club and what you want to harvest and what you think is best for your particular property. Personally, I have associated myself with like minded hunting friends and we tend to be particular in what we harvest. We do not shoot young bucks, prefer to see them grow and will take a doe or two towards end of the season if the deer herd appears to support it. There have been some years here recently where we felt it best not to harvest any does due to low numbers being seen. However, We are seeing good numbers of does so far this year, so we may take a few this year, really depends on if we get a buck or two over the next month or so. Based on what you describe it sounds as though your club is making sound decisions to support a healthy herd and not overharvest the does as they are the lifeline for sure.

jbird1

That is basically what we have tried to do for the last 3 to 5 yrs on our lease, before that we were limiting how many does we took, but weren't taking any immature bucks, for the last 3yrs we've really not taken any does at all, I think one was taken last year by a member who hadn't seen many deer and got frustrated, but even though our lease is small, 366acres, we've noticed an increase in the population, last year there were 3 bucks taken, that I would call immature, and one nice buck that was at least 3.5 maybe 4.5 yrs old. this year everyone has vowed not to take a doe, and we'll shoot 1.5 yr old bucks if we want meat for the freezer, we've recently seen some smaller 8pts running around that we will let walk, in hopes they fill out some more next year or two,

I think what you guys are doing is on the right track, next year if we keep seeing an increase in the population like we have we might take two or three does, but we're satisifed with the ratio we have right now, at least going by our trail cam pictures.

It really is the best solution if there are several meat hunters in the club. Everyone taking several does for the freezer each season is a recipe for reduced quality of hunts in my experience. Personally, I like seeing deer most every hunt even though I am primarily a mature buck hunter. So as a club, we have had to work towards a more balanced approach. I still see mature bucks...now getting them on the ground is another story sometimes.:bounce:

jbird1

Jbird, There are so many opinions on Deer Mgmt. I think it really depends on the deer herd on your club and what you want to harvest and what you think is best for your particular property. Personally, I have associated myself with like minded hunting friends and we tend to be particular in what we harvest. We do not shoot young bucks, prefer to see them grow and will take a doe or two towards end of the season if the deer herd appears to support it. There have been some years here recently where we felt it best not to harvest any does due to low numbers being seen. However, We are seeing good numbers of does so far this year, so we may take a few this year, really depends on if we get a buck or two over the next month or so. Based on what you describe it sounds as though your club is making sound decisions to support a healthy herd and not overharvest the does as they are the lifeline for sure.

I use to be the driving force behind letting the young bucks walk on our club as I tend to be more of a mature buck hunter than some others. I'm the guy that would go years without pulling the trigger sometimes. But I have had to try and see things through a different lens and moderate my stance since I've been hunting with the same family and friends since the lease's inception (mid 70's)...family and friends who love to put away several deer each year for venison. If I were forced to leave that club, I would probably align more with the quality buck folks if I were unable to join a place with those same family and friends. As it stands, I am happy with the balanced approach...folks get their venison and we all still have a good chance at a mature buck. The chances may be reduced somewhat as it would relate to a club with strict, quality buck standards, but it is what it is. I guess you could call us a throwback club, not necessarily a brown it's down club. We try and manage our does is where we're at. Like I stated earlier, I don't look down on any management plan...as long as clubs have a plan. Being good stewards of the resources is what it's all about for me.

transfixer

It really is the best solution if there are several meat hunters in the club. Everyone taking several does for the freezer each season is a recipe for reduced quality of hunts in my experience. Personally, I like seeing deer most every hunt even though I am primarily a mature buck hunter. So as a club, we have had to work towards a more balanced approach. I still see mature bucks...now getting them on the ground is another story sometimes.:bounce:

There are currently 5 members in our club, four of us hunt regularly, the ones that hunt regularly all like to put meat in the freezer, we all like deer meat, two of us are single, two are married with families, the guys with families could easily eat 2 or 3 deer a year, the single guys usually just one. We just decided we'd rather leave the does alone and let them add to the population instead of putting them in the freezer, there haven't been a lot of bucks killed by us in the last few years, and if the adjoining club is telling the truth not by them either, and going by our trail cam pics we have plenty of spikes, 4pts and 6pts running around, although we'll leave the 6pts alone, so this year if I don't see a nice mature buck, I'll likely put another yearling buck in the freezer, and so will a couple of the other guys, but that doesn't mean we're going to take 5 or 6 young bucks out this year, as a few get taken we'll re-evaluate what to do, and may alter our strategy somewhat.

One thing the guys I hunt with all believe in, we don't kill more deer than we are going to eat, over the years we've had guys that did do that, and we've weeded them out .

it might not be the best plan for some clubs, but as you said, we all like seeing deer most every hunt, even though we aren't going to shoot them, seeing multiple deer when you are in the woods makes the whole experience more enjoyable, I wish we could get the population numbers back up to what they were in the late 80's early nineties, but thats never going to happen I fear.

Triple C

Great discussion jbird. Since buying a piece of OC ground in 2011 and spending a crazy amount of time improving habitat to hold deer, here's what I know for certain - Any attempt to manage for mature deer (3.5 and older), is an exercise in frustration and futility. But...I continue to try. Just too much hunting pressure with so many clubs in the county. Add a nearly 3 month long firearms season to the mix and and good looking 2.5 yr old bucks sprouting 90 to 110 inches of bone, most hunters gonna have a hard time passing on those. And here's the reality of it - If it's legal, who am I to even suggest someone else hunt by my standards. I wish folks would pass on younger bucks but I respect their choice to harvest whatever makes them happy. And I don't give it a second thought any more. Like a lot of you guys, I love seeing deer from the stand and particularly bucks.

To your point, I think you are spot on as far as improving deer numbers - better to shoot a yearling buck than a doe. If we didn't have the deer numbers we do I'd be all for shooting young bucks and letting the does walk.

Last edited:

Triple C

And, even I don't pass em all. Put a rifle in a bowhunter's hands and you have the prescription for shooting 2.5 yr olds. For some reason, this past Saturday morn I decided to hunt the Redneck blind with my rifle which is a rare occurrence. Watched deer feed in the plot for bout an hour after daylight and then at 9:00, this feller walked out of the pines directly across from me. Next thing you know...kaboom! Nice 2.5 yr old. Having Firetower turn him in to cajun jerky and summer sausage. He'll eat good!
AC buck 2019.jpgAC redneck shot 2019.jpg

Triple C

Saturday afternoon I'm sitting in a ladder stand on the lower section of our property with recurve in hand. Had a couple of young bucks chasing does through the plot. Check out the orange blob between the bucks horns in the background. That's me in the stand and wearing my orange vest. I have this camera set on video and when I pulled the card the next morn I got several videos of this buck chasing does with me sitting in the tree. He didn't get close enough.Buck chasing.jpg

Buford_Dawg

Nice buck and nice blind CCC, great day you had there. If I can get my son's truck repaired today, then I am headed down this evening for a 4 day weekend. This time of year, you just gotta be in the woods as a big one may walk out at any time. Expecting a big crowd at my camp again this weekend, they all know when the time is right :):)

jbird1

There are currently 5 members in our club, four of us hunt regularly, the ones that hunt regularly all like to put meat in the freezer, we all like deer meat, two of us are single, two are married with families, the guys with families could easily eat 2 or 3 deer a year, the single guys usually just one. We just decided we'd rather leave the does alone and let them add to the population instead of putting them in the freezer, there haven't been a lot of bucks killed by us in the last few years, and if the adjoining club is telling the truth not by them either, and going by our trail cam pics we have plenty of spikes, 4pts and 6pts running around, although we'll leave the 6pts alone, so this year if I don't see a nice mature buck, I'll likely put another yearling buck in the freezer, and so will a couple of the other guys, but that doesn't mean we're going to take 5 or 6 young bucks out this year, as a few get taken we'll re-evaluate what to do, and may alter our strategy somewhat.

One thing the guys I hunt with all believe in, we don't kill more deer than we are going to eat, over the years we've had guys that did do that, and we've weeded them out .

it might not be the best plan for some clubs, but as you said, we all like seeing deer most every hunt, even though we aren't going to shoot them, seeing multiple deer when you are in the woods makes the whole experience more enjoyable, I wish we could get the population numbers back up to what they were in the late 80's early nineties, but thats never going to happen I fear.

You're club sounds about like mine. We've also had to weed out a few abusers through the years. To me, the worst ones had no self control. They would make a habit of shooting at pieces of deer so you were always tracking their wounded deer. It gets old quick. We also have no shortage of small bucks..and does for that matter now that we have settled in on our balanced approach which seems to meet the needs of the various members as a whole. I passed on a several bucks this past weekend in fact. The herd seems healthy for sure.