GSMNP

Taxman

Headed up Backcountry around Bryson City early next week. Any tips on
flies or nymphs for early November?

Thank you for your suggestions:).

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A warm sleeping bag. It snowed last night. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The usual run of nymphs. Try a streamer, too. Browns are spawning. Orange Palmer and small BWOs for dries would be a place to start.

splatek

UAEC
I echo what hillbilly said: don't forget a bugger or two. Dredge them deep and who knows what you'll find up those small streams. With the rain (and apparently snow) that came thru, the creeks prob rose a little, enough for some of the big breeders to make it up some smaller feeders.... good luck. And regardless of fish catching, GSMNP is just such a great place you can't have a bad time.

Taxman

Just got back from my backcountry camping trip. I caught about
10 or 12 8" Rainbows on Wednesday and a couple Tuesday
evening after setting up camp. I headed out Thursday ahead
of the rain and caught 4 or 5 on the way down. I used a variety
of nymphs with bright surveyor nymph the most successful.
Something with pink. I think I only caught 2 browns the whole
trip. Water was crystal clear and I wasn't very successful trying
to sneak up and catch fish in the pools.

I used my Patagonia UL waders and they were great. I also
used a Patagonia Stormfront hip pack. I switched from my
sling pack to alleviate some upper back pain. I also forgot
to wear a shirt with upper pockets and that was PIA.

Thank you all for the advice as always.

Backcountry

Sounds like a great trip

JonathanG2013

Glad you had a good trip. I have the Patagonia UL Waders also. Easy to pack up and work well. Still have yet to fish up there. Sounds like each time you go that you have a great time camping and fishing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a good time. Good time to get out of there, too. Supposed to be low 20s tonight, teens first of the week.

Bream Pole

My kind of camping weather, NCHB!! I haven't in several years because of hip problem and neurothopy in feet and legs, but me and my backing tent and 0 degree down bag and some good thermal wear had some good times in the mountains in below 20's weather.

Bream Pole

probably not just age for me. I've lost about 40-50 lbs and feel cold more than I used to.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My kind of camping weather, NCHB!! I haven't in several years because of hip problem and neurothopy in feet and legs, but me and my backing tent and 0 degree down bag and some good thermal wear had some good times in the mountains in below 20's weather.
I used to do it back in the day, but I just find it miserable nowadays. My 0 bag is warm, but you gotta get out of it sometime. :) I don't care for having to melt water to make coffee, either.

splatek

UAEC
Maybe I am still so new to this outdoors life that for me the adventure still keeps me at it. Although getting out of that 0 bag to pee sucks, for sure!

Taxman

The toughest thing for me in the NC mtns. Is all the wet firewood. If I can build
a quick and easy fire when I first wake up I am usually good until I start moving around. That and I have to fine tune my winter fly fishing techniques.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
12* tomorrow night with 2"-3" of snow and 40 mph wind gusts. Sounds like fun to me. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Mt. Sterling weather station in the park says 18* right now.