LED Camp Lantern recommendations?

Artfuldodger

Looking to upgrade a couple of Coleman LED lanterns. Maybe something USB rechargeable. I've got a generic LED lantern with three D batteries that works better than the bulky Coleman with the red battery pack.

Artfuldodger

Readding this to compare an LED type to;

"Two mantle Coleman Gas lanterns are "about" 800 lumens, Two Mantle standard Coleman Propane lanterns are "around" 1000 lumens. The Coleman Pinacle Propane Lantern is just shy of 1600 lumens, the last time we had them tested earlier this year."

I'd think 1,000 lumens would be bright enough over a picnic table to eat or cook by. Might even get by with 800 lumens.

Red dirt clod

I have 2 of the Goal Zero lanterns and so far very pleased with them. The 2nd one I bought would mysteriously just come on occasionally, emailed them about it and they just sent a new one to me no questions asked.

Artfuldodger

I have 2 of the Goal Zero lanterns and so far very pleased with them. The 2nd one I bought would mysteriously just come on occasionally, emailed them about it and they just sent a new one to me no questions asked.
My brother has two of them plus a solar panel. I do like the charging crank option etc. I did read where a lot of people have trouble with them coming on by themselves. He has the 200 and the Mini. The 200 was replaced with the 400.

Artfuldodger

Artfuldodger

boatbuilder

I'm just not sure 330 lumens is enough light. A Coleman two mantle white gas lantern is around 800 lumens. That's what I've always used for cooking and eating after dark and to see to get around the campsite. The Coleman Northstar Propane Lantern is 1,500 lumens.

The fan option sounds inviting!

I like it cause it is not overpowering but
They have a bunch of different kinds of different led work lights at Home Depot that run off drill batteries and are a lot brighter.

7Mag Hunter

I have a couple Bell and Howell type LED lanterns...uses 3 AA type batteries ( i use rechargeable)...very bright and batteries last a long time...has hook to hang and magnets on bottom if u need them .... Also have a bunch of the blue LED lights from Harbor Freight....They are free with purchase (and coupon) and very bright for their size...

Artfuldodger

I have a couple Bell and Howell type LED lanterns...uses 3 AA type batteries ( i use rechargeable)...very bright and batteries last a long time...has hook to hang and magnets on bottom if u need them .... Also have a bunch of the blue LED lights from Harbor Freight....They are free with purchase (and coupon) and very bright for their size...
Those look to be about 600-800 Lumens. That should be bright enough. I'm not sure about the blue color. I guess that would be OK.

transfixer

I've got 4 or 5 of these type led lanterns, run off of 3 D cell batteries, some are 500 lumen, some are 1000 lumen, they're all I've used the last 3 deer seasons, batteries usually last 6 or 8 weekends, bright , and don't make any noise, small enough they don't take up much room. Tractor supply had some for a while, otherwise I've bought them online, I've found them for as cheap as $10 up to $20. the picture looks big, but they're only about 7 or 8 inches tall

51xvubM6ggL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg

GeorgiaGlockMan

I just bought 2 of the Magellan 2000 lumun lanterns.

I have alot of lanterns from old pump ups, propane and several earlier led lights (Colemans).

These are really bright and only $30/each.

Looks like if they hold up, I finally found my "winner".

Artfuldodger

The problem I'm having with almost all my battery powered stuff is the batteries leak and destroy it all. I would like to have something maybe with a built in lithium battery. I've never had anything with a built in battery leaking. Even the Duracell and Energizers leak. I don't think rechargeable Lithium batteries are as bad about leaking though.

Artfuldodger

I've got 4 or 5 of these type led lanterns, run off of 3 D cell batteries, some are 500 lumen, some are 1000 lumen, they're all I've used the last 3 deer seasons, batteries usually last 6 or 8 weekends, bright , and don't make any noise, small enough they don't take up much room. Tractor supply had some for a while, otherwise I've bought them online, I've found them for as cheap as $10 up to $20. the picture looks big, but they're only about 7 or 8 inches tall

51xvubM6ggL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg
That looks like the one I had picked out on Amazon. It may be an updated one as it has two rechargeable smaller lithium batteries.

I like the option of being able to carry spare batteries and swapping them out. Just read it is a new version of the one you have although it's $13.00 more.

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Waterproof-Flashlight-Hurricane-Emergency/dp/B015ZFKLNK/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=le+1,000+lm+lantern&qid=1575162733&sr=8-9

Earsom

Thanks to this kizen top-quality solar-powered lantern, this item made it smooth sailing for me to find my path to the wilderness at dusk, and it certainly makes every camping adventure an enjoyable experience for me. I just took this on a camping trip, and my friends were a little jealous. It worked very well & is small enough to stick in a pocket when nearing dark for easy access when needed. It can be set on a table to provide really good lighting, and I also hung it from the top of my tent when reading during a storm... it illuminated the entire tent well enough that I did not need any other light source.

Artfuldodger

Thanks to this kizen top-quality solar-powered lantern, this item made it smooth sailing for me to find my path to the wilderness at dusk, and it certainly makes every camping adventure an enjoyable experience for me. I just took this on a camping trip, and my friends were a little jealous. It worked very well & is small enough to stick in a pocket when nearing dark for easy access when needed. It can be set on a table to provide really good lighting, and I also hung it from the top of my tent when reading during a storm... it illuminated the entire tent well enough that I did not need any other light source.
Was it this collapsible one?
https://www.amazon.com/Kizen-Solar-Powered-Camping-Lantern/dp/B01L4WHOY2?th=1