A thank you to the Georgia Bulldogs

DannyW

As I have stated before, I am done with college football. Not just individual teams, the sport overall. I won’t go into the reasons because they are not important. But this post is not about football. It’s about something that transcends the game itself.

My daughter works for the Make A Wish foundation. Her job is to coordinate and make “wishes” happen for kids in unfortunate situations. As you probably know most of these kids are in a terminal state of health. Their wish requests widely range from a trip to Disney Land, to shopping sprees, to face-to-face meetings with special people.

One of her “kids” recently requested a visit with the Georgia Bulldogs.

My daughter set up the event for last weekend. The wheelchair bound kid, wearing a Hershel Walker jersey, attended a Georgia practice session and was given a kings treatment. I saw a video where Coach Smart ran over to the kid giving him a high five and then spoke with him several minutes. Players came over and graciously welcomed him. Stetson Bennet and others posed for pictures with the boy. He was given a full tour of the facilities including the player’s locker room.

Perhaps the highlight of the visit was him and his family posing for a picture gathered around the National Championship trophy. The smile on his face was priceless. (I wish I could post pictures here but I don’t think MAW allows posting pictures or videos on social media without permission.)

I am so proud of my daughter for what she does. And so appreciative of the Georgia football team for selflessly giving a boy an afternoon to remember.

BamaGeorgialine

As I have stated before, I am done with college football. Not just individual teams, the sport overall. I won’t go into the reasons because they are not important. But this post is not about football. It’s about something that transcends the game itself.

My daughter works for the Make A Wish foundation. Her job is to coordinate and make “wishes” happen for kids in unfortunate situations. As you probably know most of these kids are in a terminal state of health. Their wish requests widely range from a trip to Disney Land, to shopping sprees, to face-to-face meetings with special people.

One of her “kids” recently requested a visit with the Georgia Bulldogs.

My daughter set up the event for last weekend. The wheelchair bound kid, wearing a Hershel Walker jersey, attended a Georgia practice session and was given a kings treatment. I saw a video where Coach Smart ran over to the kid giving him a high five and then spoke with him several minutes. Players came over and graciously welcomed him. Stetson Bennet and others posed for pictures with the boy. He was given a full tour of the facilities including the player’s locker room.

Perhaps the highlight of the visit was him and his family posing for a picture gathered around the National Championship trophy. The smile on his face was priceless. (I wish I could post pictures here but I don’t think MAW allows posting pictures or videos on social media without permission.)

I am so proud of my daughter for what she does. And so appreciative of the Georgia football team for selflessly giving a boy an afternoon to remember.
That's awesome. And you should be very proud as I know that you are. You and Mom have every right to brag on y'alls daughter. Good job brother

ddavis1120

That’s awesome! In the grand scheme, I’m sure the team gets more out of it than the make a wish recipient. Nothing like a big dose of reality and mortality to adjust a young man’s focus.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
That is awesome! I know you must be proud of the impact your daughter's work has on these young lives.
It's also awesome that the Dawgs allowed this young man's wish to come true.

DannyW

Appreciate all the kind words about my daughter and you're right, I am proud of her. But I posted this to give another perspective on college football. For all that I find wrong with the sport today, I grudgingly concede that maybe not all is lost or bad. And offer this story as proof.

It's a shame that the media chooses to ignore events like this and only reports the arrests, cheating, fights, and other unflattering stories.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
It's a shame that the media chooses to ignore events like this and only reports the arrests, cheating, fights, and other unflattering stories.

I believe it was Don Henley who said it best " kick em when their up, kick em when their down, give em dirty laundry". Most folks don't care about the good, all they want is the bad......

bullgator

The news folk live with the “if it bleeds, it leads” mantra.

MudDucker

Staff member
Appreciate all the kind words about my daughter and you're right, I am proud of her. But I posted this to give another perspective on college football. For all that I find wrong with the sport today, I grudgingly concede that maybe not all is lost or bad. And offer this story as proof.

Thanks and I know that the DAWGS have a long tradition of making themselves available for this type of thing, both at the field and in hospitals.

Latest posts