A generation gone.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Who else grew up like this? I said yes to everything on the list.
WE ARE A GENERATION THAT WILL NEVER COME BACK.
A generation that walked to school and then walked back.
A generation that did their homework alone to get out asap to play in the street.
A generation that spent all their free time in the streets with their Friends.
A generation that played hide and seek when dark.
A generation that made mud cakes.
A generation that collected sports cards.
A generation that found, collected and washed & Returned empty coke bottles to the local grocery store for 5 cents each , then bought a Mountain Dew and candy bar with the money.
A generation that made paper toys with their bare hands.
A generation who bought vinyl albums to play on record players.
A generation that collected photos and albums of clippings of their life experiences as a Kid.
A generation that played board games and cards on rainy days.
A generation whose TV went off at midnight after playing the National Anthem.
A generation that had parents who were there.
A generation that laughed under the covers in bed so parents didn't know we were still awake.
A generation that is passing and unfortunately it will never return no matter how hard we try.
I loved Growing up when I did. it was the best of times.

oldfella1962

Yes, to most of these things and also in my case:
A generation that never wore a helmet riding a bike.
A generation that had "ethyl" as a car gas choice.
A generation that talked to a clown at the Jack-In-The-Box drive thru.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I would hate to be a kid growing up now days.
Yep. I’ve got a little girl who is about to turn ten. I raise her as old fashioned as I can and her friends’ parents mostly do the same thing thankfully. My niece was telling my wife yesterday that she has been invited to Homecoming. She has never met the boy. Never even been around him face to face. These kids talk over the internet and just about no other way. That’s weird. I dont care what anybody says.

Im kind of in between. Too young to have truly been a part of the generation this thread is about but too old to really be a part of the younger one. Something about this thread is kind of sad to me. I guess it’s because things are so screwed up right now.

sinclair1

Yep. I’ve got a little girl who is about to turn ten. I raise her as old fashioned as I can and her friends’ parents mostly do the same thing thankfully. My niece was telling my wife yesterday that she has been invited to Homecoming. She has never met the boy. Never even been around him face to face. These kids talk over the internet and just about no other way. That’s weird. I dont care what anybody says.

Im kind of in between. Too young to have truly been a part of the generation this thread is about but too old to really be a part of the younger one. Something about this thread is kind of sad to me. I guess it’s because things are so screwed up right now.
The date was to get to know them. You couldnt see their whole life on Facebook. All you knew is a cute girl smiled at you. You took two days to get up the nerve to walk up to her face to face, and stutter “ you wanna go see Smokey and the bandit ?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.

I got a sneaky suspicion that lil' Ms. Dan-O is GON turn out wonderful...;)

I too, know about being in the middle...I was raised Boomer, by parents raised in The Depression, but I am a first edition Gen-Xer.

In another ten years YOU GON BE OLD, by anybody's standard...;):stir:

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I got a sneaky suspicion that lil' Ms. Dan-O is GON turn out wonderful...;)

I too, know about being in the middle...I was raised Boomer, by parents raised in The Depression, but I am a first edition Gen-Xer.

In another ten years YOU GON BE OLD, by anybody's standard...;):stir:
At almost forty five I’m just beginning to become the age I’ve been on the inside just about all my life.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

You relate to the values and try your best to give your child that life. The sadness is this dying, thanks for trying to pass it on.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Redbow

We played Cowboys and Indians, rode tobacco sticks for our horses. We had caps for our cap pistols and got a new one every Christmas. We hunted with BB guns until we were old enough to hunt with a real firearm often at 9 years of age. Movies cost 20 cents to get in and every saturday night there was a continuing serial western clip and you couldn't wait for next saturday to see if the good guy got killed or not.

We shot marbles at school every morning until the bell rang for class to begin often wearing out the knees of our blue jeans that had to be patched. Some kids wore penny loafers I never had those couldn't afford them. Studebakers and Hudson Hornets were owned by many families, some had Plymouth's, Fords, or Chevy's. A few DeSoto's and Packard's in there as well.

School lunch was 25 cents extra milk 3 cents. Being mean would get you a paddling by the Principal if the teacher could not handle the situation. We pledged allegiance to the flag each morning, had fire drills and the duck and cover thing.

Most kids looked for a job when school was out in late spring no one had computers or fancy toys to play with, some families did not even have a TV,, some no telephone.

So much has changed during the years of my life that has gone by its mind boggling to say the least. I also remember when the transistor radio came out I had one with an earplug and used to listen to far off distant stations after going to bed at night.

I also remember when just about every kid in school came to class with a yo-yo, now they are all in Washington DC.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Reference 'Future Shock', Alvin Toffler's 1970 book about the psychological effects of rapid technological and societal change.
He explained that would get more mind boggling for each succeeding generation.
My grandmother was born 20 years before suburban houses were commonly wired for electricity, and lived to see man on the moon.
There's a lot of new stuff going on, but it has always been this way.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Yep, my dad was born in a 2 room dog trot cabin with no indoor plumbing. When I was about 10 YOA, I still had some cousins who drew water from a well in the yard. I have purchased the last house my dad's parents built in the late 30s. It was finished without indoor plumbing and electricity was not out here yet so they started with the kerosene lamps from the old place and transitioned to battery powered lights when the local mill owner but in a dynamo to charge the batteries. When I was a kid the plumbing was here but the outhouse was still functional in the back yard on the other side of the house from the well where I could still draw water. Still can for that matter.

Technology has come hard and fast and it has changed the world both for the better and the worse. There ain't no going back except individually and by personal choice. A personal hat tip here to @livinoutdoors and some others who try.