Flu shots......... any stories or opinions???

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
It is almost the flu season. I have taken the flu shot every autumn for many years. I have always worked where my employer offered the shot for free to all employees.................Until last year that is, I missed getting the shot and in December I got the flu for the first time in my life. I darn near died (no joke). I was not able to leave the house for a full week, I only left to go to the doctors office.

I will not miss taking the shot ever again. I am a believer and feel the shots work.

How do you feel about the shot. Anyone got any horror stories or Praise stories.

MM

pendy

Flu Shots

My husband gets a flu shot every year but two years ago he got the flu and was very sick for over a week. They say there are different kinds of flu and the shot dosen't work for all of them. It sure makes ya wonder.

Slug-Gunner

FLU SHOT Works for Me!

For the last 5-6 years I've gotten the flu shot and haven't come down with the flu during that time. I'll keep getting the "free" shots at DDEAMC on Ft. Gordon and hope my record continues.... besides, at my age (62), I can't really take a chance on getting it.

::; ::huh: :cool: ;)

CAL

All,

The worst case of the flu I ever had was after a flu shot.I wouldn't take one under any circumstances.

Keep your hands clean and out of your mouth.Be careful what you put in your mouth and around your mouth(telephone,dirty glasses,dirty towel,etc.).Don't let your body get run down,fatigue,under nourished.Get plenty of rest.

This has worked for me in the past.I hope it still works too.The flu is the pitts,especially during hunting season!

frankwright

Thirty some years ago in the Military they gave us flu shots and they always made me feel like ****.

I exercise, take vitamins and try to be careful with frequent hand washing and hygene and I do not take shots. My wife is five years older, smokes and eats poorly, I am urging her to take the shots this year.

Every situation is different and you have to do what is right for you.

GA DAWG

I get mine at work every year.I dont want the flu during deer season.It has worked for me.I've heard that it used to make you sick back when they used live cultures.They dont use them anymore from what I was told.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I have had exactly one in my life, but dont think I have ever had the flu.

Jim

Al33

Haven't had one in years, but will this year.

They used to make me terribly sick, but like Ga Dawg, I have been assured the vaccines they use today will not do this to me. I will find out this year. :eek:

Al

QuakerBoy

Just to clear up a few things.

The flu shot will protect you from 3 different strains of the flu. The 3 strains can vary from year based on the developers best guess as to what types will be most prevalent the next year.

The vaccine is made months in advance so a lot of the determination as to what strains will be in the next years batch comes from the types that were around the year before.

Somtimes they guess wrong and you get another strain of the flu

Other times you still get the same strain, however experts state that when this happens it is usually a much milder case than what you would have gotten had you not been vaccinated.

You can also have mild flu symptoms FROM the shot but they usually don't last more than a few days.

You can have an allergic reaction to the shot....so talk to your doctor.

Handwashing can go a long way to help protect you from the flu as you may touch contaminated surfaces/people in the course of your day.

However, handwashing only goes so far as the flu is airborne and I've yet to determine a way to stop breathing indefinitely.

All this being said, I get my shot every year...period

The one year I skipped I got very sick.

If you come in contact with a lot of people during the day, you may want to get a shot.

If you have a young child in school or daycare, you are coming in contact, indirectly, with every person that your child has and their friends and families.

If you work in an office with 3 people and you rarely leave, your chances are greatly reduced. SO determine if you think yer at risk..if so..get a shot

Trigabby

I'm with CAL and Tom Borck..

I took the flu shot offered at work about 4 years ago.. Within a week I had a horrible flu that became acute bronchitis had to go to the doctor three times to get it cleared up...

Haven't had a flu shot since and have only had a few minor colds...

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
I get the flu shot every year and a pneumonia shot every 5 years.

reddwil

I don't take them. I use to get them every year and within a couple weeks I would get the flu. My doctor said at first that it was something else, that it was impossible to get the flu when you had a flu shot. He finally admitted he was wrong after something he read. All I know is that I try to steer clear from anyone who has it. I got that mess last year the day after christmas, and prayed for death. I kept a 102 fever for 8 days, lost 18 pounds and nearly went insane for being in bed for 10 days.

broadhead

I take a flu shot every year. I work in a germ factory...I teach. I've had the flu twice. Both years I had not had a shot.
Both times I was in the bed and only got out when I was well enough to go to the Dr. who told me all I could do was ride it out! "Here's your bill."

H

HT2

Flu-Shots.....

Well, this will probably come back and "BITE ME IN THE BUTT"......

However......

I don't usually get sick.......Very little at all......

I've never taken a "flu shot" and probably never will.....

I know people that take them every year and they get "sick".......Ain't the "Flu Shots" suppose to stop that?????? ::huh: ::huh:

I'll pass on them.... :eek:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Bumping an old flu thread from 2004 since we just had a bad one this season

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I got the flu shot and now I'm fat

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I have taken the flu shot for the past 3 years, and haven't had the flu.

don't know if it was the shot, or just being more careful about washing hands and such

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Never had a flu shot, haven't had the flu but once in my life. I know several people this year who got the flu shot and also got the flu.