Kudzu

Status
Not open for further replies.

60Grit

What is a chemical application that will kill Kudzu to the root/tuber, and still be able to plant the same ground?

60Grit

I've got about an acre of Kudzu on my property, and another 2 or 3 on joining property.

I don't know the legality of me spraying there's, but there has to be something I can do to spray mine.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I saw a special on "Kudzu" a few years back and GA Power had something they were using, but I do not recall the chemical. Maybe call them? I know it can have a taproot as deep as 16feet!!! That is the problem.

60Grit

I saw a special on "Kudzu" a few years back and GA Power had something they were using, but I do not recall the chemical. Maybe call them? I know it can have a taproot as deep as 16feet!!! That is the problem.

I didn't think any plant rooted that deep?? Not even trees!!

That is a problem.

I have tried Roundup Pro and it just laughs at it...:banginghe

whitetails#1

What is a chemical application that will kill Kudzu to the root/tuber, and still be able to plant the same ground?

They don't make one::smash:Find that chemical and you'll be a millionaire.:rofl:

60Grit

My brother n law says roundup with diesel fuel works.

My question there is, why waste the roundup, wouldn't just the diesel fuel work by itself??

But that still wouldn't allow me to replant afterwards..

whitetails#1

My brother n law says roundup with diesel fuel works.

My question there is, why waste the roundup, wouldn't just the diesel fuel work by itself??

But that still wouldn't allow me to replant afterwards..

I bow hunt in a 5 acre kudzu field. Early season while its green. I've tried for years to kill it :banginghe to make my own food plots. I have found NOTHING that will kill that stuff. I'll be wathing this thread hope someone can tell us something, because i hate it!:banginghe

60Grit

I bow hunt in a 5 acre kudzu field. Early season while its green. I've tried for years to kill it :banginghe to make my own food plots. I have found NOTHING that will kill that stuff. I'll be wathing this thread hope someone can tell us something, because i hate it!:banginghe

Mine is just starting to try and get into my pines, which is a constant battle. I was thinking of getting it bush hogged first and then spraying the new growth. :huh:

Nautical Son

My uncle(a bored individual) had it on his fenceline he managed to bushhog and hand remove it and it hasn't returned as far as I know.

Mind you this is a man that also hand dug the silt from his pond 4.5 acres with a wheelbarrow and a shovel 2-3 ft deep in places. He has plenty of "spare"time to work on projects such as this, for fear of having to spend a dollar.

P.S. Disclaimer
And David if you read this you know your dad will pinch a penny till Lincoln screams.

60Grit

My uncle(a bored individual) had it on his fenceline he managed to bushhog and hand remove it and it hasn't returned as far as I know.

Mind you this is a man that also hand dug the silt from his pond 4.5 acres with a wheelbarrow and a shovel 2-3 ft deep in places. He has plenty of "spare"time to work on projects such as this, for fear of having to spend a dollar.

P.S. Disclaimer
And David if you read this you know your dad will pinch a penny till Lincoln screams.

Obviously he didn't dig 16ft. deep to get the root, so that must be a myth.

I find it hard to believe that there is not a commercially available chemical that can be sprayed on this stuff, and not contaminate the soil.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have heard that if it is grazed to the point of not allowing enough growth to get sufficient sunlight it will die within a couple of years.

I think the person who told me that used goats as the grazers.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I have heard that if it is grazed to the point of not allowing enough growth to get sufficient sunlight it will die within a couple of years.

I think the person who told me that used goats as the grazers.

I have also heard hogs.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Check out this website:

http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/exotic/vegman/fifteen.htm

transline will kill it

Transline is one of the listed herbicides in the link above.

From the link:
Transline (clopyralid), from DowElanco, is readily absorbed by foliage and roots and is translocated throughout the plant. This herbicide is targeted to three plant families: legumes, smartweeds and composites. At 21 ounces per acre, Transline has the benefit that it may be used near trees, grasses and dicots, other than the three target families, without damaging them. Transline has not proven effective in eradicating older infestations of kudzu, but may be helpful in treating young patches and in controlling the spread of older plants.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
I eliminated a Kudzu patch on my place that had been established more than 50 years.

I purchased a 5 gallon back pack sprayer (Solo brand). I used Garlon 4 herbicide for the first treatment, following label instructions. Mixed dye in the solution so as to assure full and complete coverage.

One year later the patch was dead except for an occasional green spot which was recovering. Applied a second treatment with Roundup. Two or three years later I discovered a half dozen single sprouts which were subsequently treated with Roundup.

My house now sits in the middle of this patch. I have shrubs, flowers, and trees, and zero kudzu.

If you use a Restricted Use Herbicide you must have an applicators license to purchase and to apply. You can go by your County Extension Office where they will allow you to watch a video and thus qualify for the license. They will issue you the license. This is the procedure in my County.

Do not mix diesel fuel with your herbicide. It will burn the foliage and will interfere with the folar uptake of the leaves.

Do not use a soil active herbicide (absorbed by roots) if you have trees in the area which you do not wish to be killed. Tordon 101 is such a chemical. Read label carefully to determine soil activity.

Folar absorbed herbicide will work its way down to the roots no matter how deep they may grow.

Rexter

If you can get your hands on some vintage Vietnam era agent orange - that will kill it. It will kill anything!! There were still bare spots in the Nam 10 years later where this stuff was sprayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.