Myths about hog meat

K80

Why don't yall post any myths that you have heard about hog meat and debunk them. For example I've heard that on boars over 150 lbs or so is rank and for the meat to be edible the boar needs to be cut for a few weeks before killing it. Truth or Myth?

I don't know many of the myths that are out there but I'm sure some of the regular hog hunters know of them so lets get some factual answers on here for folks that don't know much about hogs. Another thing that would be good to post in here would be any precautions that need to be taken when handling hog meat. For example I have heard that you don’t need to use the same knife for skinning deer and hogs.

If folks are better informed they may be more likely to use the hog meat instead of letting it rot which it appears that a little more than half on here is against.

If we get a good list maybe we can consolidate it into one post and make it a sticky.

Last edited:

jkoch

Gone But Not Forgotten
do you mean myths about hog MEAT?

capt stan

OHHHH BOY here we go:stir::stir::stir:

devil-dog

Not sure if this is myth or fact - I hear that if you take a boar you need to immediately castrate the poor fella or the meat is too rank.

I'm interested if that's true or not myself.

Doyle

I've heard lots both ways. Some say that if a boar of even fairly small size has been around sows in estrus, the meat will stink because of his testosterone level. I killed an 80lb little guy a couple of years ago that was so rank I didn't even bother with him. Other people have killed fairly large boars that weren't rank at all. To play it safe I think the best advise is to cut the 'nads off of any boar as soon as he is down. It won't cure a boar that is already rank, but at least it might prevent it from going bad.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Okay. here's one i've always followed but never proved. Is the parasite and disease load higher in the summer than it is in winter? I've always been taught to do my wild hog kiiling in the winter to get better and safer meat.
These days, i don't even mess with the boars, but a sow I'll keep regardless of size. Like Doyle, i've been around some really rank small boars as well as bigguns.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
ok whether myth or not...

I have never had a piece of wild hawg that was better than store bought...or even something that I said mmmmmm that was good. have had it in every possible situation and just cant find any I like and btw, I would prefer to eat deer meat than just about anything, so it has nothing to do with it being wild etc

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve never eaten any pork off a wild gilt or sow that wasn`t good. I`ve never eaten any pork off an uncut boar that was good, no matter what size it was.

Bottom line, I won`t waste my time foolin` with a boar, period.

dbodkin

I have always takin what I consider a "meat" hog. 100-130lb. Boar or Sow and never had a bad one yet. I dont remove the baggage after a kill...

I think that any animal that isnt a clean kill or pumped up with adreneline from a chase will get "gamey" Deer, hog... wherever.

Post Note: K80 that avatar gal is a 3 bagger... I've seen better tusk on a hog...

bull0ne

Banned
I do not cut a boar after he's down. I figure he's carried his nads since birth and it won't affect the quality of the meat one way or the other now by taking them out. :huh:

If a boar is obviously stinking from courting/chasing a sow there's not much use in trying to eat him as the meat will be rank. I think it's something along the lines of a testosterone rush and/or a sharp increase in adrenaline that taints the meat by giving it a strong taste.

bull0ne

Banned
I`ve never eaten any pork off a wild gilt or sow that wasn`t good. I`ve never eaten any pork off an uncut boar that was good, no matter what size it was.

Bottom line, I won`t waste my time foolin` with a boar, period.

I killed a big boar after the flood of 94 that was all alone and did'nt have any smell to him what so ever. I took a chance, cleaned-n-cooked him on a smoker. Best pork one could ever ask for!

If I walk up to a boar and he smells the least little bit.............I won't waste him but I won't eat him either. :bounce:

fishndinty

You don't need to cook them a bunch...a minimum internal temp of 170 farenheit will kill any parasites...just use a meat thermometer and stop the cooking at 165, the meat will come up to temperature on its own.

The 170 lb boar and 70 lb sow I shot with PLP both tasted FANTASTIC. I marinated the meat in apple juice, lemon juice, a bit of vinegar, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper overnight....then dry rubbed with cayenne, brown sugar, salt, and pepper, and slow smoked over hickory to 165 degrees. Completely tender, ABSOLUTELY delicious...never had deer this good.

From what I understand it does help to cut the reproductive system out of a boar ASAP when processing.

The other thing you can do is more just in handling the meat after processing: age it in ice water in a cooler for at least 3 days, keeping ice on it the whole time, along with about a glassful of vinegar per48 quart cooler of icewater....it takes any strong flavor away from the meat; don't worry, it still tastes like pork after cooking and is PHENOMENAL when slow cooked.

I will say that wild pigs are much leaner; cooking methods like stir fry that use short bursts of high heat leave tough meat. For a stir fry with wild hog, plan on marinating for 3 days and include some apple cider vinegar or citrus in the marinade to tenderize the meat.

Hope these cooking tips help!
-Dinty

bull0ne

Banned
You don't need to cook them a bunch...a minimum internal temp of 170 farenheit will kill any parasites...just use a meat thermometer and stop the cooking at 165, the meat will come up to temperature on its own.

The 170 lb boar and 70 lb sow I shot with PLP both tasted FANTASTIC. I marinated the meat in apple juice, lemon juice, a bit of vinegar, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper overnight....then dry rubbed with cayenne, brown sugar, salt, and pepper, and slow smoked over hickory to 165 degrees. Completely tender, ABSOLUTELY delicious...never had deer this good.

From what I understand it does help to cut the reproductive system out of a boar ASAP when processing.

The other thing you can do is more just in handling the meat after processing: age it in ice water in a cooler for at least 3 days, keeping ice on it the whole time, along with about a glassful of vinegar per48 quart cooler of icewater....it takes any strong flavor away from the meat; don't worry, it still tastes like pork after cooking and is PHENOMENAL when slow cooked.

I will say that wild pigs are much leaner; cooking methods like stir fry that use short bursts of high heat leave tough meat. For a stir fry with wild hog, plan on marinating for 3 days and include some apple cider vinegar or citrus in the marinade to tenderize the meat.

Hope these cooking tips help!
-Dinty

Good post.

I also ice mine down for a few days, freeze it and let it unthaw slowly before cooking. Wild pork and deer meat seems to be more tender when slow cooked after having been frozen. I think it's something to do with bursting ice crystals in the meat that makes it more tender than fresh meat.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I'm positive that the woman in that avatar needs a little dental work though.

She needs to quit smoking meth:hair:...but anyway I would like to hear the "truth" about hog meat as well...

Public Land Prowler

Glad you liked it Dinty.

As far as cutting a boar?Myth.What is in him is in him...Cutting him does nothing.Just soak a boar in ice/water/and a little vinegar and it will get it the majority of it out.Cook it and slap a little BBQ sauce on it and MmmmmMMMmm...Quit being a baby..lol

Stan's post is in reference to boars not being good to eat.90% of the hogs Stan takes are 150+ boars.When he is done cooking them you won't find anyone turning their snout up at it...lol

capt stan

Glad you liked it Dinty.

As far as cutting a boar?Myth.What is in him is in him...Cutting him does nothing.Just soak a boar in ice/water/and a little vinegar and it will get it the majority of it out.Cook it and slap a little BBQ sauce on it and MmmmmMMMmm...Quit being a baby..lol

Stan's post is in reference to boars not being good to eat.90% of the hogs Stan takes are 150+ boars.When he is done cooking them you won't find anyone turning their snout up at it...lol

Comon' now PLP you know a BOAR HOG aint worth eatin They are RANK:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: