New here

IanOnTheDry

Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum as I'll be moving from NY to GA (Athens) in the new year. I'm looking forward to fishing some GA waters for trout species. Hoping to get some advice about where to go and perhaps wetting a line with some of you.
Cheers,
Ian

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Welcome aboard. There is a wealth of info here. Just fire away with your questions. I am sure you will find help.

IanOnTheDry

well, nothing specific right now as I haven't moved yet. I just wanted to get on here and introduce myself before I start scoping out the water. Some general advice for flyfishing about an hour or two around Athens would be great. Are there any fellas on here that live near Athens? Perhaps might be interested wetting a line and sharing a few beers. I just heard about the NGTO from John, so I'll be on there too.

chef

some of those guys on NGTO are a bit snooby you will find a nicer group of folk on here

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
Welcome to GA a little early! Hope you aren't disapointed in the trout fishing here as opposed to NY. This probably will never compare to the Adirondacks, but there is some pretty good water here none the less. We are gonna have to put something together for all us guys and have a fishing adventure somewhere this spring. I would like to meet several of the guys on this forum. Just a good bunch of folks!

allenww

If you are moving to Athens, forget the trout except for the occasional trip

But get ready for freshwater Bass and Bream and Crappie! They are just outside your door.

wa

TaxPhd

Ian,

I'm just down the road from you in Monroe. Give me a holler when you get down here.

I trout fish a little here, but I grew up out west. After fishing a lot of the famous western trout water in Utah, Montana, and Colorado, it's hard to get excited about Georgia trout fishing. However, the bass and bream fishing here is great. A day fishing bream beds in the Spring will make you forget all about trout.

I recently started fishing for Stripers, and that is great winter time fishing.

Scott

Randy

If you are moving to Athens, forget the trout except for the occasional trip

But get ready for freshwater Bass and Bream and Crappie! They are just outside your door.

wa

Yea, just wait till I get you on a shoal bass!

IanOnTheDry

OKay, now you all have me chomping at the bit. I'm Jonesing to get back on the water. I like Beitteroot's idea. Always fun to get a group together for some fishing, beers and trash talkin'.

Last edited:

bonedog

Welcome aboard. There is some mighty fine trout fishing if you're willing to put in some effort.
bd

IanOnTheDry

Welcome aboard. There is some mighty fine trout fishing if you're willing to put in some effort.
bd

Happy to put in the effort if it means finding some low-pressure beats with wild, dry-fly lovin' trouts!

bonedog

Happy to put in the effort if it means finding some low-pressure beats with wild, dry-fly lovin' trouts!

There is that and there is also some fine fishing in some of the larger tailwaters. I sure do enjoy float fishing :) I'm gonna have to start exercising to get in shape for some spring hike-in fishing :)
bd

IanOnTheDry

HEY GUYS.
Made it. Arrive in Athens this week and looking forward to testing out the trout waters. If anyone is in the area and will be heading out at the start of the season keep me in mind. love to tag along.

Cheers,
ian

WinMag.300

Welcome

well drop me line on ngto sn: Benvan I would be glad to share some local waters, a few beers, and some comradery. Georgia is one of the few places that has so much diverse fishing. I love wild dry lovin trout to though. I also love the easy stockers, the few wild pigs that can be found...and even the pellet pigs on occasion.. Definitely hit me up.

F.A.R.R.

Ian
Sounds like the move went well for you. I'm sure you will be pleased with the nice weather forecast for the rest of the week. The other thing you will be excited about is there have already been some caddis coming off, you are getting here just in time for some good dry fly fishing. Keep and eye out for the Bradford pears blooming (should be happening any time), this usualy signals that the fishing is about to get real good.