Salt water help

rspringer

I am new to fly fishing in general and we are heaing to Sapelo Island this weekend and my buddy has been wearing out the reds (not with the fly) and I am looking to take my rod down there. What flys would you recommend? anything that looks like a shrimp?

WinMag.300

stop at bp

stop at bass pro and pick up some pulglisi shrimp and crabs....try to get ahold of some clouser, Chartreuse and white, and get some surf candies. That should cover ya, also can try some saltwater poppers. What weight rod you throwing? Also be sure to clean that line every time your done fishing the salt.

rspringer

stop at bass pro and pick up some pulglisi shrimp and crabs....try to get ahold of some clouser, Chartreuse and white, and get some surf candies. That should cover ya, also can try some saltwater poppers. What weight rod you throwing? Also be sure to clean that line every time your done fishing the salt.

Thanks bud, I will do that. I am using my 6wt TFO. Thats all I have got.

WinMag.300

be careful

Just be careful with that 6wt... I really would only use a 7wt -8wt for salt, but a 6wt can be done....just be real careful. Redfish have some muscle and have snapped many a 7wt rods when people arent expecting.

rspringer

Yeah thats what I figured. Lets hope that doesn't happen.

Stupid question... but how do you wash you line? Just with a hose or what?

slightly grayling

Keep the wind to your back if at all possible.....casting in the wind/surf can be challenging for even very experienced fly fishermen. I have on several occasions headed back to the truck for my spinner on windy days. Ditto that chartruse clowser and also a gold spoon for reds...The burfish fly shop in Montgomery has a good selection of redfish flys. http://www.burfish.com/catalog/spoonfly.html

rspringer

Heading to Sapelo on Weds afternoon... Where you guys putting in at?

At the blue and hall Marina. A friend of mine family has a house on the island and this is the first time I have been able to go. What about you?

I am bringing the spinner for sure, but just would like to catch one on the fly.

Thanks everyone for help.

WinMag.300

line cleaner

Pick up some fly line cleaner from bass pro or dicks sporting goods....you wipe your line down with it, it makes it shoot and cast much better than when it was dirty....also helps slicken it up. I always then apply a little fly floatant to the last 2-3 feet of my floating lines.

BOSSOFTHEWOODS

Also rinse ur reel too! If on the beach rinse it daily ,sand is murder on a reel. also on the beach if there is strong current w/seaweed floating by get a stripping basket. You can make ur own w/a plastic basket about a foot square & an old belt.
There is also some flies that resemble the gold spoons there so fond of.
And if u do any good ,we want pics!:bounce:

slightly grayling

Yes, but fortunately my rod didn't break. I know several people who have essentially cut their rods in half with a heavy clouser. I don't know anything about the flybox...I would imagine Orvis has a clouser or two. It may be easier to find a fly shop near the coast
You speak from experience?

Does the flybox in Kennesaw has any of those clousers, or saltwater flies?