Low Deer Population? Read this article

robertyb

Can Coyotes Stifle deer Populations

When deer hunters use binoculars and scouting cameras to evaluate bucks roaming their hunting grounds from late summer through early fall, they should also pay attention to the herd's fawn-to-doe ratio if the herd seems to be shrinking.

If twin fawns with mature does are rare sights, and instead you see one fawn for every two or more does, it might mean coyotes or other predators are devouring much of the "fawn crop" each summer. In fact, if deer densities fall below management goals, it might be time to add coyote hunting and trapping to your hobbies. That's because scientific research from eastern Canada to the southeastern U.S. shows coyote predation on fawns kill more deer than herds can replace in some areas.

Coyote impacts vary, however, depending on their population, their habitat and food options and the deer herd's size. In some ways, science is just beginning to analyze the East's coyote/whitetail relationship. These cagy, highly adaptable predators weren't found east of a line from central Texas to southern Wisconsin before the late 1800s. During the past 100 years, however, coyotes colonized North America's eastern corridor after gray wolves and red wolves were exterminated.

The Coyote Connection
Likewise, as coyotes increased in the East during recent decades, whitetail numbers declined in some areas. These shifts are prompting more researchers at universities and wildlife agencies to assess the connection.

Three recent University of Georgia research projects examined properties in Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina. All three studies found coyotes can be tough on fawns, especially during the fawns' first six weeks.

In southwestern Georgia, researchers used trail cameras to survey fawn-to-doe ratios in two study areas 2.5 miles apart. They removed 23 coyotes and three bobcats from January to August in an 11,000-acre area, but removed no predators from a nearby 7,000-acre block.

Shortly before hunting season, their camera census estimated 0.72 fawns per doe where predators were killed, and 0.07 fawns per doe where no predators were killed. Translation: Two fawns were present for every three does in the predator-removal area, and two fawns were present for every 28 does where no predators were killed.

In South Carolina, a 3-year study at the U.S. Forest Service's Southern Research Station on the 300-square-mile Savannah River Site found only 16 of 60 radio-collared fawns lived past nine weeks, a 27 percent survival rate. Most deaths occurred within five to six weeks of birth. Specifically, 16 (36 percent) died the first week; 26 (59 percent) died between week two and week six; one died in week seven; and one died in week nine. In other words, if two does gave birth to twins, by Labor Day they had one fawn between them.

Researchers attributed only 13 percent (five) of those 44 deaths to bobcats. They confirmed coyotes as the predator in 65 percent of the deaths, the probable predator in 15 percent of the deaths and the most likely predator in 5 percent of the deaths. Therefore, coyotes were likely responsible for about 38 (85 percent) of the 44 dead fawns.

Using swabs to collect DNA samples at kill sites, the researchers also concluded all coyotes kill fawns, not just dominant, experienced breeders. Of 15 kill sites used to identify individual coyotes and bobcats, researchers recorded only two individual coyotes at more than one site.

In northeastern Alabama, a two-year study on 2,000 acres convinced researchers that coyotes were a limiting factor in the number of fawns "recruited" into the herd. Two findings guided their conclusion: First, laboratory analysis of coyote scat and stomach contents showed fawns made up 27.3 percent of the coyotes' July-to-September diet, the region's peak fawning months. Although small mammals (rabbits and rodents) also formed 27.3 percent of the summer diet, fawn meat was found more important because of its higher nutritional value. Second, the researchers documented a staggering jump in fawn abundance after trappers removed 22 coyotes and 10 bobcats between February and July 2007.

Data from experienced-hunter observations showed a fawn/doe ratio of 0.52 before the trapping program, and 1.1 after the removals. Similarly, a network of Web-equipped cameras showed 0.52 fawns per doe before removal and 1.33 afterward. Combined, that's a 190 percent increase in fawn-to-doe ratios.

Coyote predation is as natural as human predation on deer. And, as such, it's not necessarily bad thing when deer herds are at or exceeding habitat limits; after all, when deer herds overpopulate they can be destructive to ecosystems. It is time to pay attention, however, if deer herds crash in your local area.

flatwoods

I noticed that I saw very few fawns this year.
Most mature does that should have had fawns were alone.
I assumed that coyotes were to blame.

Disclaimer: My observations were done without millions of dollars of research funding and could be flawed.

killa86

Our deer population is on the decline. We have a horrible problem with coyotes. Probably more coyotes than deer. I would love to see some of them taken out.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for posting this................ This is what some of us have been saying was mostly to blame for declining deer populations.

What say y'all GA DNR folks.:pop:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Thanks for posting this................ This is what some of us have been saying was mostly to blame for declining deer populations.

What say y'all GA DNR folks.:pop:

This project has been in discussion and planning since the research above was presented a couple of years ago.

UGA and WRD to Determine Effects of Coyotes on Fawns
SOCIAL CIRCLE, Ga. (1/19/2010)

Coyotes are found in every county in Georgia and their presence has hunters and wildlife biologists alike wondering how these predators are affecting white-tailed deer populations.

“Since the 1960’s, Georgia’s deer population has risen from scarcity to areas of local overabundance through restocking efforts and science-based management,” says Charlie Killmaster, State Deer Project Coordinator. “The population has since declined to a healthy level; however, a better understanding of the role of coyotes in deer management is needed.”

Although several studies have investigated predation impacts on the white-tailed deer population, few have been done in the Southeast and coyote predation on fawns likely varies regionally and locally. To better understand the nature of these impacts, UGA and Georgia Wildlife Resources Division (WRD) recently began a 4-year cooperative research effort investigating the effects of coyotes on fawns.

"It is well understood and accepted that coyotes do eat deer," says John W. Bowers, Assistant Chief of Game Management. "However, whether coyote predation is a benefit or an obstacle to deer management strategies is not black and white. We are hopeful this cooperative research effort will provide additional information for use by deer managers and hunters in making responsible management decisions."

One of the challenges faced when researching large predators, such as the coyote, is that they are highly secretive and wide-ranging, making it difficult to determine how many there really are. “We know from previous research that coyotes are having some impact on Southeastern deer herds,” says Dr. Karl V. Miller, Professor of Wildlife Ecology and Management at The University of Georgia. “To determine the extent of that impact, we first need to generate reliable estimates of coyote populations.”

This study, primarily funded by WRD, will attempt to address this issue through a novel capture-mark-recapture technique in which DNA found in deposited scats will be used to identify individual coyotes. Researchers will also evaluate the seasonal diet of coyotes and assess the extent to which they impact fawn recruitment by conducting an intensive coyote removal across two large study sites in central Georgia.

The study will be conducted on B. F. Grant and Cedar Creek Wildlife Management Areas in central Georgia. “Because these two areas lie in the Piedmont Region of Georgia, we hope to establish a landscape model that predicts coyote abundance and their effects on deer populations,” says Will Gulsby, a PhD student in Wildlife Ecology and Management at The University of Georgia who is working on the project. “Our hope is that this model can be used by deer managers to make informed management decisions.”

Graduate students began work on the two WMAs earlier this fall by conducting trail-camera surveys. These camera surveys will be done repeatedly throughout the three-year study to assess fawn-to-doe ratios before and after the coyote removal. Later this winter, they plan to begin monitoring coyote abundance by setting up scent station and scat deposition transects that will traverse nearly 24,000 acres.

“We’ve got a lot of work ahead of us,” says James Kelly, another graduate student at The University of Georgia who is working on the project. “But it will be well worth it in the end when we can add to the body of knowledge WRD, deer managers, and hunters use to achieve their management goals.”

Georgia’s present laws and regulations allow coyotes to be taken year round with no bag limit and few restrictions. As such, hunters and landowners have maximum flexibility in managing coyotes on their properties.

For more information regarding coyotes, visit the WRD website at www.georgiawildlife.com, contact a WRD Game Management Office or call (770) 918-6416.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Charlie....

I hope if the research shows the coyote is making a big difference we can establish some sort of bounty program to make it worthwhile to shooters to take out lots of those nasty yotes.

We discussed it a little in another thread but nobody seemed interested, maybe now ??

fairplayboy

I have seen more dead totes on the side of the road this year them ever before including on the metro Atlanta area. Had never seen one in the deer stand (16 years) until this year but had three run by me in December at 100 mph. They were as big as german shepards.

whchunter

Prey

If deer herds continue to decrease and yote packs increase we can expect a much bigger problem as the hungry yotes turn to other food sources.

If what these people are saying is true it will also be reflected in attacks on farm animals, particularly new borns e.g. lambs and kids. I would suggest these same researchers survey farmers in these same areas to see if they are experiencing a similar increase. This will either support or reject their theory.

It seems like a passable theory since yotes do not have any natural predators other than men (and those mithical black panthers) and if left unchecked they will eventually present a problem as they have in other areas. Regardless I think it a good idea to shoot all that you see and consider using them as a means to keep your shooting skills honed. :shoot::shoot::shoot:

ronnies

major problem

Some of us have been telling DNR this for several years but they do not listen. It seems to me they ought to pay attention to the UGA studies.

flatwoods

If what these people are saying is true it will also be reflected in attacks on farm animals, particularly new borns e.g. lambs and kids

I frequently find goat remains on my place. My neighbors on two sides have goats and cattle. The goats get hit hard when the little ones are coming in.

widowmaker1

Some of us have been telling DNR this for several years but they do not listen. It seems to me they ought to pay attention to the UGA studies.

i think they are quite aware of it-thus the no limit and kill any time -even with lights- policy, now for those who think there will be a bounty for killen them-thats a dream,the state cant even pay its bills -much less pay for animal bounties

whchunter

Bounty

i think they are quite aware of it-thus the no limit and kill any time -even with lights- policy, now for those who think there will be a bounty for killen them-thats a dream,the state cant even pay its bills -much less pay for animal bounties

Don't know...Our city/county was paying $15 for beaver tails. :huh:

i agree payin people to shoot them probaly not but encouraging hunters to shoot them most likely might even suggest using bait to catch them coyotes are more of a nocturnal animal not soley but they become more effective at night i believe. and you dont hear alof folks say hey dude lets go coyote hunting you know its just not popluar to most but i say lets kill em

an idea that would help encourage the lowering the coyote population would be to establish some kinda tournamnet like fishing or something and have a bounty pot everybody pitches in on this way people can have a chance to win money and would spark more intrest because its a competition and something you could gain from it just a thought

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

an idea that would help encourage the lowering the coyote population would be to establish some kinda tournamnet like fishing or something and have a bounty pot everybody pitches in on this way people can have a chance to win money and would spark more intrest because its a competition and something you could gain from it just a thought

If $10 were added to the purchase price of every hunting license sold in Ga it could create a bounty fund of a few million dollars to get the program rolling. May even help fund a few additional salaries for folks to administer the program.
If there were a $250 bounty on every yote tail you could bring in them critters might become as rare as those big black cats.

flatwoods

Only problem with adding ten dollars to the license fee is that it would end up building a bike trail somewhere.

widowmaker1

Only problem with adding ten dollars to the license fee is that it would end up building a bike trail somewhere.

YEA THAT SOMEWHERE WOULD PROLLY BE IN MISSOURRI , WHERE OUR MONEY GOES NOW - LAST YEAR THEY LOST A BUNCH OF OUR BOAT REGISTRATION MONEY :offtopic:

Davexx1

The evidence has been obvious for years there has been a steady decrease in fawn and deer numbers while coyote populations continue to explode and expand.

The government has spent millions of dollars every year out west and still has not significantly reduced the coyote populations there. In the more heavily wooded areas of the Southeast US it will be tough to have much, if any, impact on coyote numbers but we need to try.

Considering the study results indicating an approximate 85% loss of fawns to coyotes, it seems impossible for the deer herd to sustain its numbers. Couple the high fawn loss with a very aggressive doe harvest and it is no wonder deer numbers are dropping in many areas.

Do not ever pass up any opportunity to take out a coyote.

Dave

Last edited:

Jeff Phillips

Could it be time to reduce the limit on does:rolleyes:

We are entering what is known as a predator pit. When the kill of hunters and that of the yotes exceeds the herd's capacity to reproduce, the result is a severe drop in the population.

We could be 4 or 5 years from having 300,000 deer in Georgia.