Deer cleaning station............

david w.

We are making a place to clean our deer and was wondering what kind of wood could we use to hang the deer on.Maybe 6x6s?We dont know where any old telephone poles are so we couldn't use them.Thanks in advance.

hahaa hey bud this aint kansas lol we are building one also its gonna be a 10x10 gonna use 10 foot 4x4 two foot in the ground we willl run one 10 ft 4x4 across the top in the center and use 2x4 for roof joist use some 5/8 osb for the roof then put tim or singles on it brack each corner from the roof to each 4x4 and you will be good to go

david w.

hahaa hey bud this aint kansas lol we are building one also its gonna be a 10x10 gonna use 10 foot 4x4 two foot in the ground we willl run one 10 ft 4x4 across the top in the center and use 2x4 for roof joist use some 5/8 osb for the roof then put tim or singles on it brack each corner from the roof to each 4x4 and you will be good to go

Maybe i will kill a 300 pounder.:shoot::bounce:

swamp hunter

I used 14 ft. 4x4,s/ P.T.8 ft. across the top , Lag bolts all the way thru. Crank um up high. I,m tired of bending over. 3 ft. in the Ground . Stick a hose around the Base to wash the dirt in good. It,ll be a little shakey for awhile, but it ain,t going anywheres.

david w.

I used 14 ft. 4x4,s/ P.T.8 ft. across the top , Lag bolts all the way thru. Crank um up high. I,m tired of bending over. 3 ft. in the Ground . Stick a hose around the Base to wash the dirt in good. It,ll be a little shakey for awhile, but it ain,t going anywheres.

Thanks swamp.:cheers:

Confederate_Jay

We use a lever design-

Attachments

• 100_0984.jpg
    100_0984.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 8,348

doe shooter

4x4s are OK and will work. But we salvaged some 6x6 beams and used those on our most recent cleaning station. We can winch'em up high enough so we don't have to bend over to clean the carcass. Works well and we ended up hoisting an almost 400 pound boar on it without any difficulty.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Attachments

• IMG_0512Mod.JPG
    IMG_0512Mod.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 12,163

david w.

elfiii,Thanks.I'm going to do mine like that.Simple!

BowanaLee

I just put a rope on their neck, throw it over a limb and hook it to my truck bumper. Then I make my son clean it. :rofl:
He takes care of ole pops. He'll even track it with my dog and drag em out. :clap:

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Sweet!

Here's ours - simple and to the point.

That's nearly identical to what we use....except we have two of them side-by-side and a poured concrete slab underneath. I've considered rigging up an electric winch instead of the boat trailer winches, but I think that's probably getting a little too lazy....:biggrin2:

We also have a rack that we welded together out of some 1" conduit...it's really sort of a cradle kind of thing....you can winch the deer up onto it and the deer lays in the cradle belly-up and it makes it a lot easier to handle opening the belly and dealing with the front legs, making the initial cuts on the back legs, etc. before you hoist it up by it's back feet....you're standing and working at waist level rather than kneeling down on the ground. Makes a big difference when you're cleaning 4 or 5 deer or more at a time.

david w.

I just put a rope on their neck, throw it over a limb and hook it to my truck bumper. Then I make my son clean it. :rofl:
He takes care of ole pops. He'll even track it with my dog and drag em out. :clap:

Thats what i was going to do but we don't have any trees big enough.:banginghe:banginghe

david w.

That's nearly identical to what we use....except we have two of them side-by-side and a poured concrete slab underneath. I've considered rigging up an electric winch instead of the boat trailer winches, but I think that's probably getting a little too lazy....:biggrin2:

We also have a rack that we welded together out of some 1" conduit...it's really sort of a cradle kind of thing....you can winch the deer up onto it and the deer lays in the cradle belly-up and it makes it a lot easier to handle opening the belly and dealing with the front legs, making the initial cuts on the back legs, etc. before you hoist it up by it's back feet....you're standing and working at waist level rather than kneeling down on the ground. Makes a big difference when you're cleaning 4 or 5 deer or more at a time.

cool,thanks.:cheers:

Jasper

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
We have one like that but it is a double wide for cleaning two at once.

If I had it to do over, I would make mine a double wide as well.

Confederate_Jay

Seen it done several ways. Some have 2 posts in the ground with a spacer ( actually just a shorter post with 2 outside posts being taller) in between them for the lever pole to be able to fit in the middle and move.

Also seen a single post with 2 pieces of flat bar welded to the sides at the top to make the "ears" that cradle the lifting pole.

On ours, we had a heavy piece of square tube, so we just notched it out so the pole would fit in the center at about 5 ' high, then we ran the bolt throught both to hold it in place. The lifting pole is about 13 or 14 feet long with the gambrel end being the shorter side - on 13' pole I'd put about 5.5 on gambrel end and 7.5 on the other end.
A hook is welded about 2' from the bottom of the lifting end and a 5 or 6' chain is fastened to the post. The chain and hook hold the pole at the desired height when the deer is lifted.

A lot faster that a boat winch and you can weigh a deer, unhook the scales, and lift it right back up without all the cranking etc.- Long pole makes it easy for even the smallest person to lift the largest deer or hog. No bruised or broke knuckles from a run-away winch handle.

Last edited:

david w.

Guys I built mine today...

What do you think?

Attachments

• IMAG0002.jpg
    IMAG0002.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 10,759