How close do you hunt to houses?

kmaxwell3

Ok I hunt in a friends back yard in a ground blind that is not but 200 yards from his pool deck. Is there any law about how far from houses you have to be. I can't find one if there is. I was not sure about Urban Deer Hunting, but this place is loaded with deer. I only shoot a crossbow back there. How many of you hunt close to houses or neighborhoods?

RWK

That depends on your state laws, in new york its 500 ft from a dwelling to discharge a firearm.

satchmo

I have hunted 30 yards from a house in Cobb and 45-50 in Floyd. I have never had any problems. Never with a gun though. I shot two does back to back one morning while a guy was skimming his pool not 60 yards away.He never even knew I was there.

lxbowhunter

those neighborhood deer are fun to hunt,don't think they're not wild though..i hunt about 150yds behind one house and 250yds in front of the other house..bow only though

Swamprat

Swamprat
Some places it is 100 yards from a dwelling....others areas it is not a set limit.

With a bow I would think 30 or yards is practical and with a gun a hundred might work but I always would want to know what direction I am shooting and try as all mighty not to shoot toward a house or yard.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
At the home place, one of the best stands is on the front porch.

24point

I don't hunt in a city or anything but the closest I have ever been to a house and shot a deer is about 50 yards. My closest stand to a house is about 100 yards. I gun hunt there I just use my brain and don't shoot toward the house like a idiot. Deer always come from the opposite direction anyways

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I have killed some meat from my deck.

grouper throat

On my property I'm 350 yds at the closest point from a residence. There's 3 stands spread out there and all of them are close enough you can hear urban noise from houses but the deer are everywhere. The property is fenced and posted around the residential areas and they all know I gun hunt. Some of the neighbors hunt their property too.

BSL

One year on our lease a big oak in a field was loaded with acorns.It was next to a barn and a rundown old place where some people lived.I decided to hunt out of the barn one evening within 20 yards of the prop line.I had deer come in and thought it was a great set up till the chickens came in the barn with me.That thing didn't like me being in there at all.lol

Last year i shot a big doe on land that one of my landscape customers owns .i was probably a hundred yards from thier place and had listened to one of my contractors crews building a house 200 yards away.The deer didn't seem to mind it.i thought back on that hunt while I did the landscaping on the new house this year.:fine:

shakey gizzard

One year on our lease a big oak in a field was loaded with acorns.It was next to a barn and a rundown old place where some people lived.I decided to hunt out of the barn one evening within 20 yards of the prop line.I had deer come in and thought it was a great set up till the chickens came in the barn with me.That thing didn't like me being in there at all.lol

Last year i shot a big doe on land that one of my landscape customers owns .i was probably a hundred yards from thier place and had listened to one of my contractors crews building a house 200 yards away.The deer didn't seem to mind it.i thought back on that hunt while I did the landscaping on the new house this year.:fine:

They will tolerate everything , but the sound of cutting tin with a circular saw!:banginghe

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
1 of our stands has 2300sq feet 4 brs 2 baths with a pooltable for the off times!

swamp

About 50yds in South Fulton, heard one of my neighbors helping her son with homework! Bow only and maybe a 3 acre easement between phase 1 and 2 of subdivision. Hardwood draw surounded by briar thicket and young Pines great area!! Come on september:cool:

miles58

Banned yankee
The live deer in my avatar was 50 yards from the cabin, and had I seen it when I took the picture it would have died.

Dave

bublewis

I've found it best to sit by a window and use a pillow across the sill for a rest.

Last edited: