The Ten Commandments

dexrusjak

What do they mean to Christians today?

Are they unique, different from other Old Testament law?

Are you bound to obey the 10?

Are you bound to obey all OT law?

Are you bound to any OT law?

Israel

BANNED
They are a revelation of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Consider each, ponder each, look into each and you will see Jesus.
Try to "do" any of them, apart from this, and you will discover what you are apart from God.

gtparts

It is a partial description of God. The task of understanding the complexities of the infinite God of the universe are also infinite in scope. The revelation of God is and has been progressive. The Ten Commandments are indeed a "picture" of His nature and His guidance for His creation to live by. No one would conceive of building a computer without an operating system, a set of instructions. They outline the basis for the best possible relationship for mankind: between men and between man and God. They take us to the point of recognizing our inability to satisfy His requirements for a relationship with Him out of our own efforts.

In the abstract, the unholy cannot grasp the holy, the unmerciful cannot comprehend the merciful, and the unloving cannot understand the loving. Those terms are meaningless without demonstration, a mere compilation of letters and sounds.

Jesus is the Son of God and the perfect representation of God in flesh. His life and His words are the faithful demonstration of God's character. He not only demonstrates God perfectly, but provides us the only way to be in relationship with God. This is not to say He has a lesser divine nature, for Jesus and the Father are one. Those who see Jesus, see the Father.

What a marvelous way for God (spirit) to express Himself to mortal, flesh and blood, man!

ronpasley

I don't have to obey any of them, but I choose to live by them because I love Him. Love changes all things it will cover your sin completely and free you from your chains.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Matt 5: 21"You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' 22But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brotherwill be subject to judgment.

I think the teachings of Jesus are a continuation and completion of the 10 commandments.

stev

Banned
P9300001.jpg

crackerdave

There are really only two commandments,these days. Jesus said for His people to love God with all we got,and to love our "neighbor" as ourselves. If we live by that,all ten will be covered.

Lowjack

Let's contemplate for a moment that the Commandments were done away with .

So that means that sin doesn't exist, right ?
As the word says where there is no law , there is no condemnation ? Right ?

So does that mean there are no sinners and therefore no need to believe in Jesus or God or anything else ?

I'll make one post and then bugout (not gonna bother posting just to see the thread closed for no reason).

What is "iniquity"? the BlueLetterBible.com says (great resource btw)

1) the condition of without law
a) because ignorant of it
b) because of violating it
2) contempt and violation of law, iniquity, wickedness

What did Jesus have to say about this condition of being "without law"?

Matthew 21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, (professing Christians) shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, (professing Christians) have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23And then will I profess unto them (lawless Christians), I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

There are numerous supporting verses on being "lawless" and what God thinks about it. He's not a fan. If you think you are under no law, you may want to search law and iniquity at the BLB.com

We are most certainly under the moral law. The ceremonial law was done away with. God hates every sin and we cannot remain in "willful" sin.

I think Psalms 119 gives a great summary of how all men should see Gods moral law and commandments.

here are a few verses from Psalm 119 2Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart. 3They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways. 53Horror hath taken hold upon me because of the wicked that forsake thy law. 77Let thy tender mercies come unto me, that I may live: for thy law is my delight.

If i remember correctly, David was a man after Gods own heart...

Last edited:

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
A couple of verses to discuss.
I'm going to think about them until tomorrow.

Galatians 3:24
So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith.

Galatians 6:2
Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ

Ronnie, I would love to discuss it, because i love to learn, and could gain a lot from these discussions, but you have the a crowd that sits on the sideline that start whining every time a good discussion gets going. so anyway, I appreciate your stance on grace. I really do. But there is other bible to consider. EX: Rom 7:12Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. Jesus said, If you love me, keep my commandments. Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Are we under the law for salvation? No. But we should love the law and do our best to keep it, because we love Christ and his comandments are not greivous to us....

It is my belief as i have moved around alot in my life and have tried hundreds of different churches from charismatic to catholic and everything in between that they just go crazy on "grace"... I am speaking of the protestant churches here. Grace, Grace, Grace and more grace.

Grace is great, there will be NOT ONE single person in heaven who got there without grace... but grace is just a small part of Christ. The way grace is taught these days in most churches is that that is the end all be all of Christianity... just say a 10 second prayer and you are now saved and full of grace... But it just dont work that way. Theres law, repentance, obedience, commands, holiness, the will of God and so on. Grace is just a part of the whole picture. But almost every church just focuses on grace. If you ask every person in heaven how they got there they will say grace but also, repentance, obedience, loving Christ, and faith. Anyway, I am rambling a will shut up now. Love discussing this with you. I dont know you but see you as a brother.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Ronnie, I would love to discuss it, because i love to learn, and could gain a lot from these discussions, but you have the a crowd that sits on the sideline that start whining every time a good discussion gets going. so anyway, I appreciate your stance on grace. I really do. But there is other bible to consider. EX: Rom 7:12Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. Jesus said, If you love me, keep my commandments. Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Are we under the law for salvation? No. But we should love the law and do our best to keep it, because we love Christ and his comandments are not greivous to us....

It is my belief as i have moved around alot in my life and have tried hundreds of different churches from charismatic to catholic and everything in between that they just go crazy on "grace"... I am speaking of the protestant churches here. Grace, Grace, Grace and more grace.

Grace is great, there will be NOT ONE single person in heaven who got there without grace... but grace is just a small part of Christ. The way grace is taught these days in most churches is that that is the end all be all of Christianity... just say a 10 second prayer and you are now saved and full of grace... But it just dont work that way. Theres law, repentance, obedience, commands, holiness, the will of God and so on. Grace is just a part of the whole picture. But almost every church just focuses on grace. If you ask every person in heaven how they got there they will say grace but also, repentance, obedience, loving Christ, and faith. Anyway, I am rambling a will shut up now. Love discussing this with you. I dont know you but see you as a brother.

If you're talking to RonnieT, you got me alllllllll wrong.
I completely agree with you're words above.
It is my life calling and ambition to live a perfect life before my Savior..... And God forgives me when I fail. When I often fail.

If you're talking to RonnieT, you got me alllllllll wrong.
I completely agree with you're words above.
It is my life calling and ambition to live a perfect life before my Savior..... And God forgives me when I fail. When I often fail.

I was not referring to you as how could I do that if I dont know you?? :huh:

Man, some of you people really wear your Christianity on your sleeve around here... ruins any fun in posting here.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I was not referring to you as how could I do that if I dont know you?? :huh:

Man, some of you people really wear your Christianity on your sleeve around here... ruins any fun in posting here.

Don't get ruined.
I just thought you had read me incorrectly. :cool:

possum steak

Gone But Not Forgotten
I don't have to obey any of them. Thing is, I want to.

I don't think that anyone can name one negative circumstance that can come from adhering to them.

apoint

Don't get ruined.
I just thought you had read me incorrectly. :cool:

Ronnie and Fritz, I believe you are agreeing with each other. I too believe as Fritz has explained it.
Im saved thru grace and I keep His commandments to show my love for Jesus. The commandments tell me how to live, and anyone else that does not know Jesus.
Great point Possum.