Church Attendance

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Why do some Christians attend church every time the doors are open?
They never miss a Bible class. They're always there morning, night, Wed nights, revivals, always.

Yet some Christians come to Sunday morning worship time only. Always there for worship time, but not for anything else, ever. Why?

And some attend once or twice each month. They are faithfully there, once or twice a month.

What's the difference???
They all claim to love the Lord and support the local church as much as the other.
What's the difference?

How about you?

rjcruiser

Personal preference.

As long as they don't forsake the fellowship of believers, don't have a problems with their preference.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Re:

The church is not always the best place for believers to be at every possible moment.

1) What if Jesus spent every moment in the synagogue?
2) What if you spend all your time with the 99, would the 1 ever hear the gospel?
3) Who of your hunting friends would never know Jesus if you did not share some quality time with them?
4) If you are always at church, did you nuture your family to the fullest?

I like this question. It makes me think.

For the record I go to church on Sunday evenings and Wednesdays virtually every week. I cannot separate myself from the strength and accountability that comes from fellowship and studying God's word together. But the way I see it, Jesus was out and about busy making disciples and that's what we should also fully do!

There's a wonderful balance coupled with God's will in our lives that Christians should find and that balance will be different for each one of us.

tomtlb66

I agree, I try to go to church on Sunday mornings and Wed night mens meeting as well. I really enjoy going to church and it seems to give me peace and recharge me if you will.

Jeffriesw

I go Sunday Morning & Most Sunday Evenings, I also go to Wednesday night Prayer meeting's.
I also attend a Bible study with some friends in Tampa (30 Miles).

As to why I go all the time is I am still a fairly new Christian and still need to be fed on a regular basis.

I will admit, I would miss regular Church before I would miss our Friday night study...

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
The church is not always the best place for believers to be at every possible moment.

1) What if Jesus spent every moment in the synagogue?
2) What if you spend all your time with the 99, would the 1 ever hear the gospel?
3) Who of your hunting friends would never know Jesus if you did not share some quality time with them?
4) If you are always at church, did you nuture your family to the fullest?

I like this question. It makes me think.

For the record I go to church on Sunday evenings and Wednesdays virtually every week. I cannot separate myself from the strength and accountability that comes from fellowship and studying God's word together. But the way I see it, Jesus was out and about busy making disciples and that's what we should also fully do!

There's a wonderful balance coupled with God's will in our lives that Christians should find and that balance will be different for each one of us.

So let me see if I have it now. There is a balance that every person must make
between God's will in their lives and the things in life that might interfere with
a one hour worship time? And every person has to make that decision based
on what God would rather them be doing at that particular time?

formula1

Re:

There is a balance that every person must make between God's will in their lives and the things in life that might interfere with a one hour worship time?

And every person has to make that decision based
on what God would rather them be doing at that particular time?

Q1 - Wrong. You contrasted folks who go to church all the time, with folks who go once a week, with folks who go once a month or even less, and your implication is that there is a difference in commitment to God. All I am saying is you can go too much and neglect either your family or the need to reach and be Jesus to folks in the world. On this case you should know I'm not talking about just a 1 hour commitment.

It's obvious you can go too little, thereby completely stifling you relationship with Jesus and your fellow bretheren, so we won't discuss that one.

But how much church is enough? Is God's grace measured out to you by how much you go to church? That's conditional grace and not in scripture.

But God's will is simple to me, in that "He who will be the greatest in the Kingdom shall be servant of all". I know I'm not there, but I strive to find what God wants for me which will best enhance my life and relationship with Him. That the approach I believe God honors.

Q2 Wrong. Each person must strive to follow God's will and purpose in their lives each day, to submit their will to the will of God for that day. That is what relationship is all about.

Now I don't normally see you twist my words in such a manner, but I respect your viewpoint very much. I also realize my comments may have not gone deep enough and for that I do apologize. I thank you for challenging me to be more clear.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Q1 - Wrong. You contrasted folks who go to church all the time, with folks who go once a week, with folks who go once a month or even less, and your implication is that there is a difference in commitment to God. All I am saying is you can go too much and neglect either your family or the need to reach and be Jesus to folks in the world. On this case you should know I'm not talking about just a 1 hour commitment.

It's obvious you can go too little, thereby completely stifling you relationship with Jesus and your fellow bretheren, so we won't discuss that one.

But how much church is enough? Is God's grace measured out to you by how much you go to church? That's conditional grace and not in scripture.

But God's will is simple to me, in that "He who will be the greatest in the Kingdom shall be servant of all". I know I'm not there, but I strive to find what God wants for me which will best enhance my life and relationship with Him. That the approach I believe God honors.

Q2 Wrong. Each person must strive to follow God's will and purpose in their lives each day, to submit their will to the will of God for that day. That is what relationship is all about.

Now I don't normally see you twist my words in such a manner, but I respect your viewpoint very much. I also realize my comments may have not gone deep enough and for that I do apologize. I thank you for challenging me to be more clear.

I got to admit, I had a little smile on my face as I typed my last comment.
And I admit that I did kinda twist your words a little bit.
And I acknowledge that you certainly seem to me to be
a person who is dedicated to the Lord.
Here, I'll take my whipping: :whip:

At my home church there are men who turn their lives over
to the hunting club between November and Feb. Might see
them occasionally.
There are other men who hunt every Saturday and Sunday.
But at 10:30, on Sunday morning, they show up for worship.
Their reasoning is that they cannot come 8 months and then
suddenly turn it off for hunting season.
They need the fellowship, the group praising, the learning
about who's sick and who's better.

Sometimes I'm amazed at their desire to be among believers.
They are the exception I think.

My great concern is for "Christians" who find church to be
such a drudgery. They don't 'go' to church..... they 'have'
to go to church.

formula1

Re:

I was once part of the group you mention who would sell their relationship with God for the fall chase of the whitetail. I loved hunting so much, it was all I would truly seek. What I found out is during that period, hunting became a drudgery as much as church did. I realized that putting hunting ahead of nurturing my relationship with the Lord gave me no fulfillment in either.

Now, I have relinquished my will to God's and I have committed to Him first, then family, then my fall hunting schedule. I still hunt, but my relationship with the Lord, family and my fellow believers is much better. And they are more fulfilling. My relationship with the Lord is blessed and my time with Him is more complete and satisfying. Also, I spend less time in the woods now, but I find God blesses my hunting more and I'm generally more successful. I also get good quality time to spend with my son in both environments and that is special. And I even give up some of my hunting days (even in the rut) for family events.

In addition, hunting camp becomes an outlet that I can relate to some unbelievers (and believers too) and be a witness to them. I have to make deliberate efforts to build friendships in the world in hopes of influencing them for the Lord, largely because I work for a ministry and just don't get out there much.

BTW, can't go whipping on you, your commitment to Jesus is too important to this board. Please keep speaking what God puts in your heart. I for one will be glad you did!

1gr8bldr

Go and get some straw for them bricks????

christianhunter

I'm not at Church every time the doors are open.I'm ashamed of it,but it is true.I go as frequently as I can most of the time,but let the cares of the world,and just pure laziness get in the way.I liked F1's post.I try to live like I'm in Church 7 days a week."Where ever two or more of you are gathered in my name."There is no excuse,and I do not make any,THE LORD knows my heart.I cherish the fellowship with the Brethren.I have some things going on,but I have to strive to be nurtured more as my Brother Swamp pointed out.I've been a Christian for almost 21 years and the thirst for THE WORD is still growing.This is as honest as I can be.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I was once part of the group you mention who would sell their relationship with God for the fall chase of the whitetail. I loved hunting so much, it was all I would truly seek. What I found out is during that period, hunting became a drudgery as much as church did. I realized that putting hunting ahead of nurturing my relationship with the Lord gave me no fulfillment in either.

Now, I have relinquished my will to God's and I have committed to Him first, then family, then my fall hunting schedule. I still hunt, but my relationship with the Lord, family and my fellow believers is much better. And they are more fulfilling. My relationship with the Lord is blessed and my time with Him is more complete and satisfying. Also, I spend less time in the woods now, but I find God blesses my hunting more and I'm generally more successful. I also get good quality time to spend with my son in both environments and that is special. And I even give up some of my hunting days (even in the rut) for family events.

In addition, hunting camp becomes an outlet that I can relate to some unbelievers (and believers too) and be a witness to them. I had never thought of that part of hunting. I can visualize you or another Christian in a hunting camp leading everyone in prayer before leaving for the stands.

I have to make deliberate efforts to build friendships in the world in hopes of influencing them for the Lord, largely because I work for a ministry and just don't get out there much.

BTW, can't go whipping on you, your commitment to Jesus is too important to this board. Please keep speaking what God puts in your heart. I for one will be glad you did!Well, you probably do owe me a whopping.

As a young adult my fishing got me in trouble with the little wife on a few occasions. I'd leave for fishing right after morning worship, telling her I'd be back by church tonight. Well, it wasn't unusual for me to get home about the time church was ending.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Okay, back on track now.

Is there something about church that makes it easier to skip it???

Seriously, do church assemblies seem fake?
Is it the "same ol stuff over and over again?
Is it not fullfilling like it seems it should be.

Or is it where your friends are at?
Where you can touch other people who believe in Jesus?
Where you get share God's strength with others?
Join in prayer with dozens of other people?

I'd really like to know. Is there a problem with worship services?

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I will say that my families attendance can be spotty at times were we dont make it for three weeks straight, then we will not miss a single trip wether it be sunday or wenesday. i have a job were I am straight up unreliable to everyone. I chose this career before I started a family, and sometimes wonder if I want to keep it but the field it is in I dont have much of an option and it pays very well. Actually there have been several times I have been out in the hallway right before a sermon started talking with a customer i will usually stay till after the sermon to go to work though. I also have two little children that get sick easy and when they are sick we do not go, we dont want to be blamed ny everyone for getting their kids sick. I think we have only missed maybe two sundays in the last three years were we just did'nt feel like going. It seems like the devil is always finding excuses for us. I really hate it here lately since I just started a mens sunday school that I have been trying to attend for about two years now, and REALY like it, but my father in law has been in the ICU at piedmont in atlant for almost a month now and we cannot take kids so we are dedicating alot of time to that right now. I am not trying to get long winded here, but it kinda gets to me when people at church make a kinda rude type comment about not seeing us last week. Oh and the only time I have missed church for a hobby IE: hunting,fishing, has been on somekind of special trip were I am either gone or only have a couple days to participate.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I will say that my families attendance can be spotty at times were we dont make it for three weeks straight, then we will not miss a single trip wether it be sunday or wenesday. i have a job were I am straight up unreliable to everyone. I chose this career before I started a family, and sometimes wonder if I want to keep it but the field it is in I dont have much of an option and it pays very well. Actually there have been several times I have been out in the hallway right before a sermon started talking with a customer i will usually stay till after the sermon to go to work though. I also have two little children that get sick easy and when they are sick we do not go, we dont want to be blamed ny everyone for getting their kids sick. I think we have only missed maybe two sundays in the last three years were we just did'nt feel like going. It seems like the devil is always finding excuses for us. I really hate it here lately since I just started a mens sunday school that I have been trying to attend for about two years now, and REALY like it, but my father in law has been in the ICU at piedmont in atlant for almost a month now and we cannot take kids so we are dedicating alot of time to that right now. I am not trying to get long winded here, but it kinda gets to me when people at church make a kinda rude type comment about not seeing us last week. Oh and the only time I have missed church for a hobby IE: hunting,fishing, has been on somekind of special trip were I am either gone or only have a couple days to participate.

You're right.
Just because a person isn't there doesn't mean they hate church or are at home with a hangover.

emtguy

i cant think of two reasons for missing church, a death out of town(and i'd visit a church then) or being in the hospital...why would a christian not go to church when the doors open?
You can share and preach to the un-Godly or your hunting buddies the other 6 days of the week...
I was raised that when sundays came around you go to church.

I dont wana hear its impossible to not miss a sunday, theres a church in every town somewhere...

I just passed up a full paid trip to south america to hunt birds b/c they would not be back in time for church AND THAT WAS HARD TO DO but i did it, did it make me a better christian than someone else? NO but it did show that my priorities are in line...i can hunt on sat. or buy my own trip and be back on sat.

I have missed ZERO sundays in the same church for 36 years, my dads missed 1 in 40 something years b/c the doc would'nt release him until mon.
It dont make us super christians or nothing but at the judgement day thats one less thing i have to answer for i guess...

i have the same "life problems/conflicts" as everyone else, i just know where my priorities lie.

Once heard the preacher say " a mans "God" is who or what he sacrifices himself for." That was a "amen" statement.

Heres a question i always wondered, why is it when a kid/kids are sick the entire family has to stay home? If it was a workday the entire family would not stay home.
Why are people always late for church but get to work on-time?
Why cant vacations be scheduled to return on sat. instead of sun?

The people who say " i go to church wherever im at, i seek the lord my own way" are the ones who i seem to see going to church as a chore...they get there late and run out fast...its the truth rather you agree or not....

Does going to church mean youre a christian? NO
Does being a christian mean you'll be at church? YES

gtparts

Some Christians are so wrapped up in what others may or may not be doing and so legalistic,... finding, defining, and refining the "rules for living" and being critical of others, that they have no hope of pleasing God.

thedeacon

Its a shame that some people think that spending 4 hours a week with Christian brothers and sisters is too much time to devote to worshipping God.

I wonder how many here that are making excuses for not attending the worship services of the Church, spend more time than that in useless recreation. God knows where your heart is, you can't fool him, please don't try.