Church Attendance

Gabassmaster

sometimes people miss church for good reasons and sometimes they are just too lazy...i believe when you truely do get saved you have a desire to want to be closer to god and spend as much time as you can in church...i believe sometimes the reason people dont show up is because they really didnt get saved and are holding on to somthing when they were a kid and it wasnt god putting them under conviction it is just they were scared so they really didnt get saved and have no want to come.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
This thread isn't suppose to be about some being at assemblies because everyone else might expect you to be there.

The question is.......
Why do some Christians want to be there as often as possible and
others don't place much of any kind of committment to a local
congregation?

rjcruiser

i cant think of two reasons for missing church, a death out of town(and i'd visit a church then) or being in the hospital...why would a christian not go to church when the doors open?
You can share and preach to the un-Godly or your hunting buddies the other 6 days of the week...
I was raised that when sundays came around you go to church.

I dont wana hear its impossible to not miss a sunday, theres a church in every town somewhere...

I just passed up a full paid trip to south america to hunt birds b/c they would not be back in time for church AND THAT WAS HARD TO DO but i did it, did it make me a better christian than someone else? NO but it did show that my priorities are in line...i can hunt on sat. or buy my own trip and be back on sat.

I have missed ZERO sundays in the same church for 36 years, my dads missed 1 in 40 something years b/c the doc would'nt release him until mon.
It dont make us super christians or nothing but at the judgement day thats one less thing i have to answer for i guess...

i have the same "life problems/conflicts" as everyone else, i just know where my priorities lie.

Once heard the preacher say " a mans "God" is who or what he sacrifices himself for." That was a "amen" statement.

Heres a question i always wondered, why is it when a kid/kids are sick the entire family has to stay home? If it was a workday the entire family would not stay home.
Why are people always late for church but get to work on-time?
Why cant vacations be scheduled to return on sat. instead of sun?

The people who say " i go to church wherever im at, i seek the lord my own way" are the ones who i seem to see going to church as a chore...they get there late and run out fast...its the truth rather you agree or not....

Does going to church mean youre a christian? NO
Does being a christian mean you'll be at church? YES

Umm...I take it you didn't read the legalism thread or maybe I missed the 11th Commandment that said that I only get 2 excused absences from church:confused:

On a side note..most of our vacations are Saturday to Saturday, so...we do get back for church the following Sunday :D

So...what consists of church? How many times did Christ & the Disciples go to church?

Its a shame that some people think that spending 4 hours a week with Christian brothers and sisters is too much time to devote to worshipping God.

I wonder how many here that are making excuses for not attending the worship services of the Church, spend more time than that in useless recreation. God knows where your heart is, you can't fool him, please don't try.

Why do you box yourself into saying 4 hours a week? Why do you box yourself into saying the only place you spend with believers is at church?

It is responses like these that cause some to keep away from ever entering the door of a church. Like the Saducees and the Pharisees...white-washed tombs.

jmharris23

To try and answer your question Ronnie, I do think some believers just don't see it as necessary as others.

As to why this is I am not sure. I do think that sometimes churches fill their schedules too packed and expect too much "attendance" and not enough "participation."

What I mean by this is, I often wonder as a pastor, "Why do I spend more time training than I do mobilizing?"

If we sent people out more than we brought them in, would they be "more involved."

I am not sure I came close to answering this question as I am typing this answer with a 3 yr old saying, "daddy what are you doing?" multiple times , while in my lap, with my lap top :)

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
To try and answer your question Ronnie, I do think some believers just don't see it as necessary as others.

As to why this is I am not sure. I do think that sometimes churches fill their schedules too packed and expect too much "attendance" and not enough "participation."

What I mean by this is, I often wonder as a pastor, "Why do I spend more time training than I do mobilizing?"

If we sent people out more than we brought them in, would they be "more involved."

I am not sure I came close to answering this question as I am typing this answer with a 3 yr old saying, "daddy what are you doing?" multiple times , while in my lap, with my lap top :)

I think your first sentence probably answers the question for most people.
Most local churches gives a Christian 4 hours a week to become more educated and strengthened in God's word.
Two group Bible classes, and two prepared lectures.
Hopefully, these lectures or sermon if you will, will cover the broad of subject matter available and needed by each Christian.

But a lot of Christians chose to only hear one of those hours. When they do, they are short-changing themselves of what is available from someone who has spent many hours preparing God's word for reception into the life of hearers.
It appears to me that there are too many Christians that just lose interest in God's word.

I'm hoping to get some incite from many Christians who frequent this forum.

gtparts

Perhaps those that spend a lot of their time in private, personal study and prayer are not moved to guilt for not being in a particular building at a particular time, every time the doors are open.

Small groups that meet at Starbucks or Chik-Fil-A for bible study on Saturday morning ARE the church. People who volunteer for disaster relief ARE the church, those who are re-roofing a home in Charleston, S.C. with World Changers ARE the church. Those who work at soup kitchens and food pantries ARE the church. People who are active in prison ministry ARE the church. The folks that freely staff Pregnancy Resource Centers to provide care for expectant mothers and unborn children ARE the church.

Mary and her sister, Martha were very different people and Christ did not love one more than the other, but He recognized their unique talents, personalities, and giftedness. Martha needed to be doing what she was designed by her Creator to do. Mary needed to be doing what she was designed to do. Neither had justification for getting on the other. Martha showed a resentment for what she felt Mary should have been doing, but wasn't. Jesus' gentle rebuke was a little embarrassing for Martha. Martha needed to focus on the fact that her tasks were exactly that, her tasks. She should have been content, even joyful, for the opportunity to provide hospitality to Jesus and the disciples. Instead, she was focused on what others were doing or not doing. Somewhere in there, there is a lesson for us.

Bottom line: Doing church is more than parking your backside in a chair or pew several hours a week.

apoint

Some people may truly love God but are just not that social.
Some may like being around other people, some may not.
Just a thought.

Madman

The "Church building" is where my family and I go for corporate worship, to be with others, to be edified, to edify, to learn, etc.

We do everything in our power to be there when the doors are open, however it is 45 mins. away so that makes it difficult on school nights etc.

We do belong to a Wed. night Bible study from that church where many of us meet near my home.

We need to understand that “every time the doors of the church are open” is just not possible for some and do what we can to help them in home groups and other gathering places.

I believe a good add-on to your question would be, “What are we doing throughout the week to grow spiritually and in our relationship with God”?

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Perhaps those that spend a lot of their time in private, personal study and prayer are not moved to guilt for not being in a particular building at a particular time, every time the doors are open.

Small groups that meet at Starbucks or Chik-Fil-A for bible study on Saturday morning ARE the church. People who volunteer for disaster relief ARE the church, those who are re-roofing a home in Charleston, S.C. with World Changers ARE the church. Those who work at soup kitchens and food pantries ARE the church. People who are active in prison ministry ARE the church. The folks that freely staff Pregnancy Resource Centers to provide care for expectant mothers and unborn children ARE the church.

Mary and her sister, Martha were very different people and Christ did not love one more than the other, but He recognized their unique talents, personalities, and giftedness. Martha needed to be doing what she was designed by her Creator to do. Mary needed to be doing what she was designed to do. Neither had justification for getting on the other. Martha showed a resentment for what she felt Mary should have been doing, but wasn't. Jesus' gentle rebuke was a little embarrassing for Martha. Martha needed to focus on the fact that her tasks were exactly that, her tasks. She should have been content, even joyful, for the opportunity to provide hospitality to Jesus and the disciples. Instead, she was focused on what others were doing or not doing. Somewhere in there, there is a lesson for us.

Bottom line: Doing church is more than parking your backside in a chair or pew several hours a week.

You're absolutely correct.
But right now we're discussing people who just 'choose' not to park their backside on a pew whether they're involved in anything else or not.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Some people may truly love God but are just not that social.
Some may like being around other people, some may not.
Just a thought.

Could be.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
The "Church building" is where my family and I go for corporate worship, to be with others, to be edified, to edify, to learn, etc.

We do everything in our power to be there when the doors are open, however it is 45 mins. away so that makes it difficult on school nights etc.

We do belong to a Wed. night Bible study from that church where many of us meet near my home.

We need to understand that “every time the doors of the church are open” is just not possible for someYou're right. Sometimes other things have to be tended to.
and do what we can to help them in home groups and other gathering places.

I believe a good add-on to your question would be, “What are we doing throughout the week to grow spiritually and in our relationship with God”?

All true.

Madman

But right now we're discussing people who just 'choose' not to park their backside on a pew whether they're involved in anything else or not.

I learned many years ago, "where daddy goes, the family goes", and sometimes motivating daddy is tough.

The family will go without dad but dad won't go without the family. I truly believe we MUST emphasize what Jesus said, “The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.” John 10:10

If dad learns what life is he will be there because he wants his family to be there.

gtparts

It is my opinion that the first thing is to revitalize those "taking up space". They are already there. Get a prayer team praying. Expand the opportunities to pray, with home prayer meetings ( not Bible study, but 1 to 2 hours of prayer... more if needed). Preach the Word with authority! Cast a vision to pay off debt. To address a major need in the community. Train your people to serve the community. Ask a school principle what your people can do for the staff and kids. Get a list of elderly who need yard work. Put your folks in bright T-shirts and find ways of being visible in service to others. When your church becomes the feet and arms and heart of Christ, you won't be able to keep folks away.
And those part-timers will either get with it or fade away. Either way, your people will be more joyful, more active, more intentional about sharing Jesus. But, the key is to be relevant to those you seek to witness to and they will listen and they will respond.

Crubear

Maybe someone said it earlier, but not everyone sitting in a pew/chair at a church service is a believer.

They follow tradition, or are looking.

Then there are those who's gifts aren't exposed/utilized in the church, but are outside in other activities.

It isn't what we see, it's what God knows.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
It is my opinion that the first thing is to revitalize those "taking up space". They are already there. Get a prayer team praying. Expand the opportunities to pray, with home prayer meetings ( not Bible study, but 1 to 2 hours of prayer... more if needed). Preach the Word with authority! Cast a vision to pay off debt. To address a major need in the community. Train your people to serve the community. Ask a school principle what your people can do for the staff and kids. Get a list of elderly who need yard work. Put your folks in bright T-shirts and find ways of being visible in service to others. When your church becomes the feet and arms and heart of Christ, you won't be able to keep folks away.
And those part-timers will either get with it or fade away. Either way, your people will be more joyful, more active, more intentional about sharing Jesus. But, the key is to be relevant to those you seek to witness to and they will listen and they will respond.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Are you saying some aren't there because they've become bored to death with lazy church attitude?

gtparts

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Are you saying some aren't there because they've become bored to death with lazy church attitude?

Could be. Most folks want to be part of something that gives them purpose, makes them feel alive and needed.

When you feel more alive coming home from a movie or a soccer match or even shopping at Wally World than you do going home from church, you might have a case of the lukewarms. If you think attending more soccer matches, or long walks, or going to the movies more would be enjoyable, but you don't feel that way about being with your fellow church members, you might have a case of the lukewarms.

Yep, Ronnie, could be.

jason4445

I had a Uncle who never went to church although his wife and kids did. In my older years I asked him why he did not go and he said - I go to church and they tell me I am a sinner. I agree with that. Then they tell me if I believe in Jesus I am going to heaven - I believe and I am going to heaven. Now what else do they have to tell me?

THREEJAYS

I have often wondered the same thing.To answer your question "I don't know".I do know that we are told not to forsake assembling.Heb 10-25 and all the more as we see the day approaching.I draw encouragement from the very faithful.I know very well that going to church doesn't save me.I also know I don't want to be an example of do as I say not as I do.I want my children to continue to grow and serve in the church body.Without the ones that you can count on ALL the time there wouldn't be a meeting place to go to.It takes too much happening each and every service for a part time member to make happen.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I know some Christians who won't schedule out-patient surgery on a Wednesday because they don't want to miss Bible study that night.
Eva Mae Thomas, God rest her soul, told me she'd never heard a sermon or Bible class that she didn't get something from. She died at 86.

It isn't a question of "Do I have to be at Church services?"
The question is "Why don't I want to be there?"

If a person wants to be there but can't, God will bless them in their absence.

emtguy

All these excuses why some people just cant be at every service b/c of school nights or 50 miles away or " i am in church wherever im at" is just that, excuses.

If i took every member on my churchs member ship roll and told them i would pay each family 5 million dollars if they would not miss a service for 3 years i promise you they would be at every service, the excuses would vanish fast! A person does what they want to do and thats why missing church is OK. b/c they want to miss church...once again that "i" nature comes into play! Gota get rid of the "i" nature and get Gods nature.