Interesting Tom Kelly quotes about Fall Turkey Hunting

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I was reading "Outdoor Alabama" about Fall season for turkeys in Alabama. They quoted Tom Kelly and I thought I would share as he is well known in the Turkey world and some of his comments were interesting...

"I like spring turkey hunting, but fall turkey hunting gives you something to do while you're waiting. I guess more than anything is it's tradition. All of the old hunters I grew up with - some of them hunted turkeys in the fall and never hunted them in the spring. We always wanted to go out and get a Thanksgiving or a Christmas turkey.

....I think the thing behind most of it is that all of a sudden everybody considers themselves too high class to kill anything but old gobblers...I never heard the word "jake" until 1960 or '65. You had old gobblers and young gobblers. There were very few turkeys until you got in the '60s and '70s. I don't know anybody back then who turned down young gobblers. You shot young gobblers and brought them home.

...There's a lot of walking involved. This business of going 100 yards, sitting down and yelping is not going to work, unless you do it over chufa patches....You don't run around and get your picture taken on the steps of the courthouse with a 12 pound yearling gobbler. You don't want to have to admit at the cocktail party that you shoot jakes. And with all that hard work involved in it, it just seems to be going away."

Outdoor Alabama
October 2010
Page 13
By David Rainer, Staff Writer

Turkeydoghunter

Fall and winter rock

me and my puppy curly

Attachments

• curlys solo.JPG
    curlys solo.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 1,224

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Nice winter bird!

Backcountry

i wish ga had a week of fall turkey season.

Gadget

Where and when was this quoted from? Just wondering if this was something he just recently said for this article or an older quote.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Where and when was this quoted from? Just wondering if this was something he just recently said for this article or an older quote.

Outdoor Alabama Magazine
October 2010
Page 13
By David Rainer, Staff Writer

It looked like they were new quotes for this article about fall turkey hunting. It was a good article.

Turkeydoghunter

i like the young gobbler old gobbler thing ......tom dose not hunt with dogs from what i hear ,,,,but hes good friends of the people that gave me my male dog junior .....i wouldnt go with out a good dog....