Deep frying whole deer ham

Vaughn726

I was wondering if any one had ever deep fried a whole deer ham like you would fry a whole turkey. We're looking for something different but I have no idea at what temperature or time to fry. Any help would be appreciated.

Sterlo58

I was wondering if any one had ever deep fried a whole deer ham like you would fry a whole turkey. We're looking for something different but I have no idea at what temperature or time to fry. Any help would be appreciated.

Your gunna get some sure enuf expert advice here. :cool:

I guess it could be done, but I'm thinking that by the time it's done, the outside will be so tough you won't be able to chew it.

If I was going to fry, I'd make steaks, and country fry.

ugadawg88

I think you could fry it whole and it would be good. I would inject it with some of that cajun injector stuff, and let it marinate for a while. Also since it is a whole ham you could cook it to medium rare or medium. This is kind of different, A couple of years ago I shot a huge doe and sort of dry aged the hams and smoked them whole. I trimmed all the fat and wrapped bacon around the whole thing and covered it with paper towels and aged it for about a week or so. I changed the towels every day. It turned out awesome. so moist and tender. so maybe you could that and then fry it up :huh: . I say go for it.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it's a good idea, but its not my hindquarter. Deer meat is best cooked medium rare and gets tougher when it's overcooked.
I'd be afraid that the outside would be inedible and the inside would be raw. But if you want to try it, i would wrap that sucker in bacon as tight as i could get it.

JohnnyD

Whole? No. But you cut apart the muscle groups and deep fry those then it comes out great. A guy I used to hunt with would do it in his Dutch Oven. Not sure on the times, though. He always did it because it was his specialty.

Hornet22

ROMEO
V726........don't know if it would be the same, but Pauler Deen is deep frying a fresh pork ham on her show right now.:cheers: