$1500 to $2000 - which gun safe?

Rainmaker

I know this topic has probably been covered 89,000 times on many forums. I have researched it, and read and read and read. Each time I walk away not knowing which model to buy.

I went around town today and looked at all of the safes available to me at: Dick's, Tractor Supply, Academy Sports, and a hometown gun store. Even Sport's Authority carries Stack-On gun safes. Most were in the $600 to $800 price range - which would be great - but I didn't find anything that I really liked or had confidence in.

I looked at Stack-On, Field and Stream, Cannon, Heritage and Browning's Theftguard series.

Here's what I am looking for: External hinges, and quality construction with a good lock, 24 gun capacity or more.

I've been reading about Sturdy Safe, Amsec, and the mid-line Brownings.

So, I'd rather spend $1500 but I am willing to spend $2000. If I could find a great safe for less that would be wonderful, but I'm prepared to make a one-time investment for something that will last me forever.

Can you help me out, please?

Thanks!

Rich Kaminski

They are all good. Get one with a light, a key and a combination lock. Make sure that the safe is fire rated up to 6 hours. Then negotiate - there are big mark-ups on safes.

Rainmaker

Also, if ya'll could recommend the best place to purchase the safe with the best prices i'd appreciate the help. Thanks.

MadDawg51

If you are near the Norcross area, Liberty Safes of Atlanta (David's Gun Room) offers Made In the USA, Liberty safes well below your price range - and well above. IIRC, they do have some external hinge models. You might check them out.

Rainmaker

MadDawg51,

Thank you for the suggestion. I will give them a call. I'm willing to drive a couple hours or more for a good deal.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

+1 on the Liberty safes. One more thing- most of the safe owners on here will tell you when you decide on the safe you want, go up at least one size. You'll be glad you did!

I have one of the Bass Pro Shops 14/28 fire safes. It was about $1200 originally, but was on sale for $999. I signed up for the credit card and saved 10% that day and got it for $900. I have been told that they are made by Browning. I compared the two side by side and they looked almost identical and were comparable on the fire ratings and such.

+1 on the Liberty safes. One more thing- most of the safe owners on here will tell you when you decide on the safe you want, go up at least one size. You'll be glad you did!

Yes. A 24 gun safe will only hold 24 guns if they are all shotguns and unscoped rifles. Add scopes, especially large objective ones, and you'll be lucky to get 15 guns in it. I know from experience.

Nitro

Banned

Great advice.

Call David's Gun Room in Norcross and get a quote.

(770)447-6021. Great folks to do business with. Pay for delivery and installation ....

Jester896

Senior Clown
I know this topic has probably been covered 89,000 times on many forums. I have researched it, and read and read and read. Each time I walk away not knowing which model to buy.

I went around town today and looked at all of the safes available to me at: Dick's, Tractor Supply, Academy Sports, and a hometown gun store. Even Sport's Authority carries Stack-On gun safes. Most were in the $600 to $800 price range - which would be great - but I didn't find anything that I really liked or had confidence in.

I looked at Stack-On, Field and Stream, Cannon, Heritage and Browning's Theftguard series.

Here's what I am looking for: External hinges, and quality construction with a good lock, 24 gun capacity or more.

I've been reading about Sturdy Safe, Amsec, and the mid-line Brownings.

So, I'd rather spend $1500 but I am willing to spend $2000. If I could find a great safe for less that would be wonderful, but I'm prepared to make a one-time investment for something that will last me forever.

Can you help me out, please?

Thanks!

Yes external hinges are good if you want a clear door opening. With concealed hinges your door will only open about 120 degrees and with exposed hinges it will open 180. Dial locks tend to be a nuisance especially when you have to turn on a light to see it. With the electronic locks say from S&G you can program several combinations into the same lock for multiple users. Cannon's higher end models are good containers in their higher end line. I find it hard to believe that you didn't find a good quality container from Heritage. Some of the manufactures import their lower end units and make in-house the mid and high end lines. Browning (ProSteel) TheftGuard Series being the lower end...makes good quality units too all of the way up to vault doors. AMSEC makes a fair low end unit...TF series..along with two above that as well. I think you are on the right track. You need to look for steel thickness, bolt diameter, locking systems, fire rating, and what you want in a safe. If you have a raised floor there are some considerations there too you will need to make. If you have any specific questions PM me and I will do my best to answer them.

elmerpud

SAFE - Costco

I was looking at the Browning safe until I found a safe at of all places COSTCO. It is a Winchester with external hinges and large locking lugs. It was a 30+ cubic foot, holds 50 guns, which really means 35. I think the fire rating was 45 mins @ 1400deg. It was around $850, for the price thought it was a great deal.

Ready 2 Hunt

One poster mentioned 6 hr fire rating, when I bought my safe (Heritage) I talked to my cousin who is a Lt. with Memphis TN fire dept about fire ratings. He said that a typical house fire is either burned to the ground or the fire is out in 45 min. I went with a 90 min safe for cushion. Buy bigger than you think you will need. I have lots of documents as well as guns in my safe. Why pay a bank for a safety deposit box?

95g atl

I was looking at the Browning safe until I found a safe at of all places COSTCO. It is a Winchester with external hinges and large locking lugs. It was a 30+ cubic foot, holds 50 guns, which really means 35. I think the fire rating was 45 mins @ 1400deg. It was around $850, for the price thought it was a great deal.

bought the same one.
was a HUGE pain to move w/one friend, believe me. 700 lbs.
heck of a deal!

ben300win

Cannon is the best in my book. They have the best warranty in the business. They will come to your house and repair or replace it free of charge. That is one thing you really need to look at. They have some great ones a Tractor Supply. They have a wide body that is extra tall for like 1400.00. Also put it in the basement on 2 concrete walls if possible. The concrete will help keep the heat down in case of a fire. Also get a dehumidifier.

miles58

Banned yankee
I have bought five safes. One is a Liberty 25 gun model. The best I have bought are a couple of old used Diebold Class B fire proofs. The are rated either for 1.5 or 3 hours and 1700 degrees. They are heavy. They must be placed on concrete. But... They are far more secure burglary and fire wise than any gun safe. The most money I spent was 800 on the Liberty, then 700 on a couple of Diebolds.

There's no comparison whatsoever between the Diebolds fireproofs and the gun safes. The Diebolds are ten times the protection.

Dave

Jester896

Senior Clown
Cannon is the best in my book. They have the best warranty in the business. They will come to your house and repair or replace it free of charge. That is one thing you really need to look at. They have some great ones a Tractor Supply. They have a wide body that is extra tall for like 1400.00. Also put it in the basement on 2 concrete walls if possible. The concrete will help keep the heat down in case of a fire. Also get a dehumidifier.

Most of your better Companies have that same warrenty. Unless the house falls into the basement making it an oven to cook in.

I have bought five safes. One is a Liberty 25 gun model. The best I have bought are a couple of old used Diebold Class B fire proofs. The are rated either for 1.5 or 3 hours and 1700 degrees. They are heavy. They must be placed on concrete. But... They are far more secure burglary and fire wise than any gun safe. The most money I spent was 800 on the Liberty, then 700 on a couple of Diebolds.

There's no comparison whatsoever between the Diebolds fireproofs and the gun safes. The Diebolds are ten times the protection.

Dave

The Deibold containers are record safes and use a moisture releasing insulation to get the 1700° rating for and hour (the UL label should be on the inside of the door) where a gun safe uses a dry type liner (gyp board) and are only rated at 1200° temps and do not release moisture into the safe.

One poster mentioned 6 hr fire rating, when I bought my safe (Heritage) I talked to my cousin who is a Lt. with Memphis TN fire dept about fire ratings. He said that a typical house fire is either burned to the ground or the fire is out in 45 min. I went with a 90 min safe for cushion. Buy bigger than you think you will need. I have lots of documents as well as guns in my safe. Why pay a bank for a safety deposit box?

in 30 years I have never seen or heard of a fire safe with a 6 hour fire rating. Your cousin is right on the money. You should think like this...if I struck a match and lite my house on fire how long would it burn if I watched it burn to the ground without intervention. However your documents are not as safe in your gun safe as you think they are.

Gun Safes have a rating of 1200° for 30 min, 60 min, or 90 min and the inside temp gets to 350°

Record Safes have a rating of 1700° for 1 hr or 2 hr and the inside temp gets to 350°

Media Safes have a rating of 1700° for 1 hr and an inside temp of 125°

The steel in a gun safe is generally thicker than it is in record or media safes.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Winchester Gun safes are made by Granite I think.
Smith & Wesson Safes are Imported by AMSEC.
Ruger safes are made by Heritage.
Remington Safes are made by one of the other companies in UT...I forget.
The ones you see here advertised on GON..Diamond.. I think.. are made by Cobalt
Browning Safes are made by Pro-Steel