Snake Dog

Chuck Terry

I used to have a rat terrier that loved to kill them (along with mice, moles, lizards, bugs, and other critters). Drug them up in the yard quite often. I was always afraid she would take on a big rattlesnake that she could not handle. Never got bit as far as I know. I'm not sure what breeds could be trained or who does the training.

mlandrum

Sorry, Blue My dog only getshttp:// BIT by Snakes they don hunt them.:smash: This is Lucy she was bit in May and only lived 30- minutes:cry: That's 3- in 4- years? ?????:pop:

Mike seems like u need one to sweep the place u hunt sounds like u have plenty down that way.BJ seen were one had crawed across the road in the pen the other day so we r going to find one r train one to find them by smell and then bay them until we get there and remove him, they can find anything else so i feel sure we can one to find a snake.Good luck this season !!

dick7.62

When I was young(elementary school and older) I had a mixed breed dog who would bay a rattlesnake. I killed at least 3 large ones that he found. He had a different bark for a snake that let me know what he found. He would catch a non-poisonous snake and shake/slap it to death but I never saw him take on a rattlesnake, he just barked at them. He had 3 brothers and sisters and they never showed any interest in snakes. I don't know why this one was a snake dog.

Thanks dick7.62

thanks for the reply to my post. I am still looking for a snake dog and was wondering if you remember anything about the kind of mixed breed that dog could have been. Just wondering. Hopefully I can find one soon or either make one myself. We have too many snakes here and animals get bit by them all the time.Thanks again for your help.

Lukikus2

thanks for the reply to my post. I am still looking for a snake dog and was wondering if you remember anything about the kind of mixed breed that dog could have been. Just wondering. Hopefully I can find one soon or either make one myself. We have too many snakes here and animals get bit by them all the time.Thanks again for your help.

I got a snake dog but I come with him. There ain't a snake that'll be on the property after he's done searching. Don't think you could afford the both of us though. Try me.

besclavon

rattlesnake removal

i have a cabin that is loaded with rattlesnakes because of the field mice (shot over 24 in 18 months 100ft from the front porch). i took out all the crap they could live under (including elevating wood piles a foot off the ground) and made snake traps. I just put a piece of 4ftx4ft plywood on the ground with 2x4's nailed around the edges and only 2 six inch gaps in the 2x4's in on either side. it basically was a large flat box 3 inches off the ground. then every time i would go up, i fliped them and killed them. Now i have only seen one since january.

also, my beagle is gun shy, but she bays snakes. really weird. she doesnt cackle or bark, but she is really skemish and hoping around like a rabbit when she gets one. I just take her around and look for body language and she always is on one when she starts hopping around like a mongoose. luckily she knows to stay 3 feet back and just circle. Actually, its kinda fun coming coming up on them. not sad to see them go, but it is fun to shoot them and keep the rattles. i've got enough of them to play poker with.

Lukikus2

ok i have 110 ac. pen Lukikus 2 that has a snake r 2in HOW MUCH ? , And when can u do it?

I'm down in Florida so it wouldn't be reasonable. I have a pit that has hate for snakes and can smell them 100' away. He definetly lets you know when their in the area and he is on top of them in no time. If I were closer I would come just for the fun of it.

2-shot

I've had 3 miniature weiner dogs that would kill or bay snakes and 1 Jack Russel that would do the same.

F14Gunner

With 4 adult Jack Russells they tend to bring all kinds of critters to my back door as prizes, and yep Snakes as well. Seen one of them dig a hole out and retreive a snake that was trying to get away. Never trained them, but they are some good dogs. multipurposed you might say. The girls tend to kill everything they catch, but the males like to bring them to the door , with one of those looks like " See what I got Dad. "

crsdos

had a lab that got too close to a moccasin, didn't make it. was a good dog just stupid when it came to snakes.

Hillbilly stalker

A snake dog is like a "good " bear dog.....you never see see a old one. One day they miss a step, and then you need a shovel. Get a couple old minnow traps, open the entrance holes a little, put a farm fresh egg in it, put a small chain on it so the coons won’t tote it off. A store bought egg won’t work. Drown the venomous snakes.