Deer being decimated in South Fla

snookdoctor

Two things come to mind. Why would Florida put a season on an invasive species? And why would you do a survey by driving down roads? Sounds like a survey of the dumb animals, as most would disappear before the mobile counters got within sight.

brandonsc

Just tell me where to sign up. You provide the airboat and I'll bring the beer :cheers:

On a more serious note, it really is a shame that these invasive snakes have decimated local native wildlife. I don't see the problem ever going away but hopefully it will get better before it gets worse.

i'll get the boat and bring the shot guns with 00 buck just make sure you bring enough bud light to fill the boat :yeah:

shakey gizzard

Two things come to mind. Why would Florida put a season on an invasive species? And why would you do a survey by driving down roads? Sounds like a survey of the dumb animals, as most would disappear before the mobile counters got within sight.

All invasive species should be open season year round,day or nigh. The snakes are attracted to the heat of the roads!:shoot::shoot::shoot:

mossyoakpro

What makes it worse are those dimwits on that show in Miami that catch them in peoples yards....and instead of taking a bush ax and chopping them into tiny pieces they take the stupid thing and keep it as a pet so that when another hurricane comes and wipes his house out they are on the loose again.

Obviously the trespassing snake counts more than the local wildlife to them....what morons!!

mtr3333

Banned
What makes it worse are those dimwits on that show in Miami that catch them in peoples yards....and instead of taking a bush ax and chopping them into tiny pieces they take the stupid thing and keep it as a pet so that when another hurricane comes and wipes his house out they are on the loose again.

Obviously the trespassing snake counts more than the local wildlife to them....what morons!!

Welcome to the world of love...:shoot:

mtr3333

Banned
I haven't checked your links. But, I saw a show on those monster rats taking over the native rat territory.

After checking your links, I found nothing on invasives.

Forest Grump

The pythons in the Everglades can live in climates up to North Carolina. They are shoot on sight outside the Everglades National Park but protected inside which makes the park a big nursery,

Why would an exotic, invasive species be protected inside the Park? All the nature shows I've seen lately on this they seemed to be out there catching them, but of course saying all the time they had no real hope of getting them all, due to the terrain, etc... From what I have seen, much worse than the damage to things like raccoons that we have an abundance of, they are also threatening the extinction of a lot of the really endangered species we have spent untold effort and money on trying to save all these years. It doesn't make any sense to protect the pythons as well.

LonePine

Why would an exotic, invasive species be protected inside the Park? All the nature shows I've seen lately on this they seemed to be out there catching them, but of course saying all the time they had no real hope of getting them all, due to the terrain, etc... From what I have seen, much worse than the damage to things like raccoons that we have an abundance of, they are also threatening the extinction of a lot of the really endangered species we have spent untold effort and money on trying to save all these years. It doesn't make any sense to protect the pythons as well.

I imagine that inside of the Everglades National Park, guns and hunting of any type are not allowed (the area inside the park). Outside the park is probably a different story but I can see how not allowing any hunting in the park can cause it to act like a refuge for the snakes. I'm sure that park officials and hired contractors can catch/trap them but I doubt that the general public has that ability.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong as I'm just taking a guess here.

NOYDB

BANNED
Now, all those guys carrying .45s as "Snake Guns" have something worthy of their caliber!

Or if they thought they needed .45s for coppernmocorattlers are they going to haul cut down 8 gauge market guns "For protection" from the ginormous alien snakes?

Headsortails

This a great post for a laugh but the estimated population of pythons in the glades is 10,000. Any one over 10' can kill a deer, hog gator or man.

Lukikus2

After checking your links, I found nothing on invasives.

Two legged

I imagine that inside of the Everglades National Park, guns and hunting of any type are not allowed (the area inside the park). Outside the park is probably a different story but I can see how not allowing any hunting in the park can cause it to act like a refuge for the snakes. I'm sure that park officials and hired contractors can catch/trap them but I doubt that the general public has that ability.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong as I'm just taking a guess here.

That is correct. No hunting or discharging of firearms in the park.

This a great post for a laugh but the estimated population of pythons in the glades is 10,000. Any one over 10' can kill a deer, hog gator or man.

Their "media" numbers are artificially inflated for political purposes. (See link below) If there are that many snakes how come they couldn't find but 15 or 20 all last year. All smoke and mirrors, again.

http://forum.gon.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=6686349

southernboy2147

I've heard that there was a 8 foot exotic snake killed on lake sinclair this past summer. I just heard it from a few guys that fish alot of tournaments up there. I was told GW's were tryin to keep in on the down low so people wouldn't freak out. Never looked into it so IDK how much truth is in it.

Headsortails

I have a home in the "glades" and personally know some of the people responsible for the data. But your right it's probably just hype.

NOYDB

BANNED
I was told GW's were tryin to keep in on the down low so people wouldn't freak out.

Because if people heard there was a "exotic" snake, there would be panic in the streets? Women shouting, men crying, just utter Chaos!

They should probably just drain the lake! :shoot:

The genesis of the great Lake Sinclair Snake conspiracy!

....and so it begins!