DIY Pest Control

Havana Dude

Anybody here do their own pest control? I'n not talking about a can of raid sprayed here and there. I am looking into doing the once a year thing myself, and just wondering if anyone else does it. We currently have a company do it. Once a year costs me 250. I was looking on line at different options and looks like I can roughly cut that cost in half. Doing the work is not an issue for me. I enjoy doing things around the house, and this little bit of work is nothing. Any thoughts? Ideas? Experience? All is appreciated and give out some links if you got em!! Thanks in advance!!

sinclair1

I buy the same stuff my bug man was using from a do your own pest control company in Marietta. I have had excellent results. It cost me $50 for the chemicals and that has lasted 3 years and counting. They sell Termidore, masterline and about anything else. It also takes the possibility of them watering it down out of the equation.

Luke0927

I think tractor supply may sell termidor (I have seen it on Amazon) I was planning on doing my own this year as well. I know it takes care of a bunch of stuff but not sure about spiders.

i would be interested aswell on what to use where to get it etc heck with them i can do it myself if i knew what to get i aint lazy

merc123

I just stopped mine. They didn't do any pest control. Just checked termite inspection tubes to the tune of $340 a year. $99 for,the tubes. 30 minutes to check them

Havana Dude

Bugs, roaches spiders etc. I have a contract for the termites.

mike1225

You may want to do your own pest control but I think you need to keep a termite contract with a damage warranty on your house. I saw a 7 year old house with $42000 worth of damage. Termidor is what I use but it costs about $150-180 a gallon. If you pay$340 a year to monitor your bait system you are paying about $100 to much. We monitor bait & do pest control each trip for about what you are paying for just the bait system

Havana Dude

You may want to do your own pest control but I think you need to keep a termite contract with a damage warranty on your house. I saw a 7 year old house with $42000 worth of damage. Termidor is what I use but it costs about $150-180 a gallon. If you pay$340 a year to monitor your bait system you are paying about $100 to much. We monitor bait & do pest control each trip for about what you are paying for just the bait system

I should have been more clear. I pay 250 /year for pest control(roaches,spiders, whatever critters they kill). This is a one time visit deal. I also pay 250/year for annual inspection/re-treatment if necessary for the termite bond. I am bound to keep the contract for the termite deal, or it goes null and void. I am only looking to do the pest control side of things myself(roaches etc.) Sorry for any confusion.

mike1225

I just stopped mine. They didn't do any pest control. Just checked termite inspection tubes to the tune of $340 a year. $99 for,the tubes. 30 minutes to check them

These are the prices I was talking about. If you can get Termidor,Masterline or something similar you can do your own pest control. I'm not sure what you can get over the counter but if you mix it correctly & apply it right you shouldn't have a problem. Sorry for the mix up on the above quote.

Tacoma

All you need is a bottle of Ortho Home Defense from Walmart... it will get all the bugs, ants etc. EASY...

Havana Dude

Thanks guys. I got anxious and ordered from domyownpestcontrol.com. Got paste,dust and a spray. Had to have a couple other items for application, so not saving that much on the first go round, but if these products work like they say they do, I should save over 1/2 what I pay now.

Jasper

All you need is a bottle of Ortho Home Defense from Walmart... it will get all the bugs, ants etc. EASY...

Been using this for years and saving the $..........

sawtooth

I use a pesticide called "demon" sold at our local feed store. It comes in water soluble packets. This stuff is remarkable. No spiders, roaches, ants--- zero. Not xpensive either--11 bucks a pack. I do the inside and outside of my house and shop once a year. Now any bugs i see are already dead.

grouper throat

I order the termite bait along with my herbicide for my nursery every year and check it myself. I like the Ortho products and found they tend to be just as good as any of the higher-priced chemicals when it comes to wide spectrum pesticides.

mudracing101

I use a pesticide called "demon" sold at our local feed store. It comes in water soluble packets. This stuff is remarkable. No spiders, roaches, ants--- zero. Not xpensive either--11 bucks a pack. I do the inside and outside of my house and shop once a year. Now any bugs i see are already dead.

I also use Demon, never see bugs or roaches but it doesnt seem to effect spiders. I havnt found anything to keep the spiders out of my utility building.:banginghe And those small ants, Demon seems to kill them on contact and thats it. Maybe i should mix it stronger.

merc123

These are the prices I was talking about. If you can get Termidor,Masterline or something similar you can do your own pest control. I'm not sure what you can get over the counter but if you mix it correctly & apply it right you shouldn't have a problem. Sorry for the mix up on the above quote.

Yep! Here's the termidor termite monitoring stations. I could have bought 5 of these for what I paid the exterminator. Amazon has real good prices on this stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B003VVBHAM

Here's the Termidor treatment:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004FEJ4IQ

Luke0927

Also for the termites if your house is graded right and you don't have any leaks how are you getting termite without water damage or rot? I thought they would only start in on rotten wood am I right? I built my house a couple years ago, lived in my great grandparents house right down the hill that is 80+ years old and there has never been any termite control done, not on my grandparents either and its 25 years old and just back up the hill.

I still would like to do the termidor since it takes care of a lot of other stuff as well, but really want to keep the spiders and stuff out of the garage and from making webs etc around the corners foundation etc...