RR Ties?

bilgerat

Senior
any one know where to get good used RR ties in the Buford area?

rjcruiser

I know it is a bit of a drive from where you're at, but the RR line up from Athens to Elberton was redoing the ties in the track just north of Athens. Not sure if the old ones get taken by the RR or if they'd let you have some....just a thought.

JD

Jerry's Crossties over in cumming has them around $12.00 a piece. I have a big wall job coming up and am looking as well. If I find anything better I will let you know.

fatboy84

I know it is a bit of a drive from where you're at, but the RR line up from Athens to Elberton was redoing the ties in the track just north of Athens. Not sure if the old ones get taken by the RR or if they'd let you have some....just a thought.

My dad worked for the railroad and we used to get them and bridge timbers all the time, but now days they get taken by the railroad and sold.

In the 80's you could usually ask the track foreman and get permission. Now?? who knows. You might be able to ask and get a few, but not sure how to tell you to get in touch with them.

bilgerat

Senior
there replacing the ties under the tracks here in Buford too, I was telling a friend last night i was thinking of going down and getting a few of the old ones and he said Id get locked up if caught, and stealing from the RR is a federal crime! I dont think Im gonna try that now!
Tapp lumber here in Buford has them for 11.75 each if you buy a bundle of 18

Last edited:

Cabin creek man

Ive not really come across any really good ties in a while now. When we do a project around here we use treated 6x6 or 8x8's they will outlast the person laying them and can be had in rough or dressed. They are a little pricy but worth it in the end.

greg_n_clayton

My dad worked for the railroad and we used to get them and bridge timbers all the time, but now days they get taken by the railroad and sold.

In the 80's you could usually ask the track foreman and get permission. Now?? who knows. You might be able to ask and get a few, but not sure how to tell you to get in touch with them.

Yep, once knew a work gang foreman who told me to get what I needed and be sure not to leave the bands. That was in the late 80's as well. And we were way out in tha country. I see you are a long way from Seneca, SC, but Thrift Bros. there use to buy them by the train car loads. They had a spur that came to their property.

JD

Coffer Adams in Lawrenceville has them for $10.54 a piece.

Napi

It's a bit of a drive to here, but I have 50-60 I'd sell for the 7-8 price range.

Stomper

I work in the track dept and get asked all the time. We sell them to a couple different contractors that sort and resell them to dealers. If ya get caught taking them you could get in trouble. It is a crime taking them from the railroad they would charge you with theft and trespassing.

Latest posts