What kind of deck is this?

merc123

What would be the industry term for this style deck? I call it stepped or tiered where you have a main deck and it moves down into another smaller platformed deck into another or onto the ground.

Looking to build it myself. Anyone have a link to building codes for something like this or should I get that from local county office when I get permits?

Attachments

• deck.jpg
    deck.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 796

ranger1977

The county office may have a diagram for builders/homeowners that they use. Construct per the 2006 International Residential Code and you should be fine. I have a diagram we use. PM me your email address and I will send it to you if you want it.

Last edited:

SarahFair

Is it for home or office?

Terrace or terraced deck

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
After you get the building code talk to your local inspector and ask him what they want.

Some places require joist hangers while other places will let you use a ledger board/bond timber.

Some require that you put posts under the rim joists where they meet the band against the house, others don't.

Some places require bolting the band to the house and other places will allow lag screws.

Some places require diagonal bracing from the posts to the rim joists while others do not.

Last but not least, I know of one jurisdiction that requires diagonal bracing criss crossed along the bottoms of the joists.

We set our balusters with a 3.5" space. The is an inspector in Athens that will not give you 1/32" over the 4" minimum. If you set your balusters for a 4" space you will have a 4" plus space after they dry and shrink. Been there, done that, replaced the handrail.

Anytime I build in a new jurisdiction I always ask for the offical and unoffical local amendments to the building code.

southwind

Deck

Do it quietly if its out of sight, No gov interference.

Then the first party or cook out you have 30 people on it it colapses because you didn't follow codes. :stir: They are there for a reason other than being a pain to deal with. BTW I wouldn't bolt or lag it to directly to the house..you are only inviting moisture to sit. Some sort of 1/2" spacers would work though.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Then the first party or cook out you have 30 people on it it colapses because you didn't follow codes. :stir: They are there for a reason other than being a pain to deal with. BTW I wouldn't bolt or lag it to directly to the house..you are only inviting moisture to sit. Some sort of 1/2" spacers would work though.

This is why they make angle flashing with a drip edge. Clear caulk the seam and top of the board against the house and sit the flashing down on it. Make sure deck is built to code for resale inspection purposes. And always note how many people are on a deck. 30 people is the equivalent of parking a truck on it.

Cabin creek man

Govt dont really care how you build it. They just want to make sure that you permit anything you do so theres a paper trail to raise your taxes. Just overbuild it and have a good time on it. Ive heard tell of someone calling for a final inspection and the person coming out to do it was a tax apraiser lol govt dont care what you think.

BoneHunter77

I agree with following the codes. But somebody mentioned following codes for resale inspection purposes. I've built 3 decks in 3 homes that I've sold and not one of the inspectors ever took a first glance at the decks. I thought it was strange but maybe some don't care.