Are Muslims who do not...

pnome

An exception to the above rule?

Maybe an exception to the idea that selfishness is always detrimental to herd survival. But when we are dealing with things that are society wide, empathy for individual participants is a lot less.

For instance, I may write a software program that ends up replacing a person's job. That sucks for the person who gets laid off, and is certainly detrimental to his or her survival. But I don't feel like I've done anything wrong or immoral. But if I told some lie about that person that got them fired, the result would be the same. But the morality of the situation is completely different.

The same sort of thing is true in capitalism. There are winners and losers but in the end society as a whole advances. Just like my hypothetical labor saving software program helps my client to produce their product or provide their service at lower cost.

Or another way to look at it is sexual selection. It would be rather unselfish for Angelina Jolie to have sex with any guy who could use an ego boost. And it's rather selfish of Brad Pitt to keep her all to himself like that. But in this situation we would consider Angelina's actions highly immoral and Brad Pitt's actions moral.

This is because we have other information that tells us that such sexual promiscuity is not beneficial to survival. Either for the individuals involved, or society as a whole.

ambush80

Maybe an exception to the idea that selfishness is always detrimental to herd survival. But when we are dealing with things that are society wide, empathy for individual participants is a lot less.

For instance, I may write a software program that ends up replacing a person's job. That sucks for the person who gets laid off, and is certainly detrimental to his or her survival. But I don't feel like I've done anything wrong or immoral. But if I told some lie about that person that got them fired, the result would be the same. But the morality of the situation is completely different.

The same sort of thing is true in capitalism. There are winners and losers but in the end society as a whole advances. Just like my hypothetical labor saving software program helps my client to produce their product or provide their service at lower cost.

Or another way to look at it is sexual selection. It would be rather unselfish for Angelina Jolie to have sex with any guy who could use an ego boost. And it's rather selfish of Brad Pitt to keep her all to himself like that. But in this situation we would consider Angelina's actions highly immoral and Brad Pitt's actions moral.

This is because we have other information that tells us that such sexual promiscuity is not beneficial to survival. Either for the individuals involved, or society as a whole.

Sexual promiscuity is a very positive survival strategy for males of many species, humans included.

Your example of the software speaks to the notion of the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few. At an executive or ownership level, the motivations of capitalism are driven by the exact opposite.

I like capitalism for the most part. At its best, it encourages excellence. At its worst, it encourages short sighted destructiveness (I'm thinking of industrial pollution here).

TTom

Promiscuity had until very recently the detriment of not being able to be sure who is the father of a child. And since inheritance and obligation to raise the child come into question it's a problem for group survival.

Long gestation and even longer raising the young to maturity time spans make such questions a serious issue for humans.

ambush80

Promiscuity had until very recently the detriment of not being able to be sure who is the father of a child. And since inheritance and obligation to raise the child come into question it's a problem for group survival.

Long gestation and even longer raising the young to maturity time spans make such questions a serious issue for humans.

If you have the resources, the best way to insure genetic diversity and the passing on of your genes is to cast your seed far and wide. That strategy has different implications for the mother. With her finite ovum, her best hope is to breed with the best genetic donor and have the offspring be raised by the best provider; who may not necessarily be one in the same.

TTom

Sure but tough convince the "best provider" that they should pay the bill for the offspring of another.

puddlehunter

One misconception is who allah is, in Islam Allah means God, same god that christians believe in. There is a difference with Mohammad and Jesus, Muslims believe they were both prophets, yes suprise, they know Jesus as well, not the same way that Christians do. As far as believing and not believing in Sharia, I think its kind of like with Christians, they don't all follow to the letter everything the bible says, same with muslims and the Koran

centerpin fan

One misconception is who allah is, in Islam Allah means God, same god that christians believe in. There is a difference with Mohammad and Jesus, Muslims believe they were both prophets, yes suprise, they know Jesus as well, not the same way that Christians do.

I highlighted the key phrase.

As far as believing and not believing in Sharia, I think its kind of like with Christians, they don't all follow to the letter everything the bible says, same with muslims and the Koran

I don't think that's an accurate analogy.

Artfuldodger

Some people are Christian or Jewish, they just aren't practicing. I've heard people say they are Catholic but they aren't practicing.
I wonder how all the mostly black Muslims in this country fit into Islam of the Middle East.

piratebob64

Banned
I see people who "are" or only claim to be "good" muslims as future targets of opportunity! The Koran says "to fight the enemies of Islam until they are subjagated and give up their preaching against Islam, otherwise put them to the sword and kill them"! Christians preaching the word of GOD is preaching against Islam!
It is impossble for a Muslims to be good American: Why, because America puts GOD first! Muslims will never put God or country ahead of Allah. Islam is the only religion that says to lie about not being a muslim to further the faith! So for all you people that feel it is okay to have them in this country you need to wake up! They are here for one reason and one reason only! to destroy the infidells who will not stop preaching against islam. They have already taken over the schools and are allowed to teach the history of islam in our own schools, are we alowed to the history of christianity in our schools! Try to stop a muslims from praying in whether in school or any other time and you will have the rath of allah brought down on you, You have seen christian prayer being banned from almost every aspect of American life!
WAKE UP PEOPLE!
I am telling you targets of opportunity is all they are when the time comes!!

Artfuldodger

In America your God can be whomever you believe God to be on no God at all. It's the price we pay as Americans for freedom. We take chances for Christ.
If I see someone in need I will help them. They might kill me before I get a chance but it won't stop me from trying. This is within reason.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I see people who "are" or only claim to be "good" muslims as future targets of opportunity! The Koran says "to fight the enemies of Islam until they are subjagated and give up their preaching against Islam, otherwise put them to the sword and kill them"! Christians preaching the word of GOD is preaching against Islam!
It is impossble for a Muslims to be good American: Why, because America puts GOD first! Muslims will never put God or country ahead of Allah. Islam is the only religion that says to lie about not being a muslim to further the faith! So for all you people that feel it is okay to have them in this country you need to wake up! They are here for one reason and one reason only! to destroy the infidells who will not stop preaching against islam. They have already taken over the schools and are allowed to teach the history of islam in our own schools, are we alowed to the history of christianity in our schools! Try to stop a muslims from praying in whether in school or any other time and you will have the rath of allah brought down on you, You have seen christian prayer being banned from almost every aspect of American life!
WAKE UP PEOPLE!
I am telling you targets of opportunity is all they are when the time comes!!

pssssst:
(Allah=God)

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Pssssssst.
(Allah="a god" but not "The One True God") ;)

Muslims,Jews,Christians all start with worshiping the God of Abraham. The twists in the stories made after that God are what separate the three.

jmh5397

A person with your mental capacity shouldn't need this explained.... Here goes: if you don't believe in (a) God or (any) gods, then how does the equation "Allah = God" come from your thought process? There is no God, right? Yes, I get your point, that from a biblical view, the Jewish, Muslim, and Christian God are one in the same. Doesn't it seem a bit trivial, on your part, to use God's existence to prove his non-existence? At very least, almost hypocritical?