28 gauge

antnye

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 28. I'm torn between an over/under (either a cz or a moss silver reserve) or a browning Midas BPS.

Those of you who hunt with O/U, how do they handle in the turkey woods?

hawglips

Banned
I really like mine. It's very light and I have two choices of choke that give me pattern options for each situation.

antnye

I really like mine. It's very light and I have two choices of choke that give me pattern options for each situation.

what are you shooting Hal? isn't yours a CZ?

hawglips

Banned
what are you shooting Hal? isn't yours a CZ?

Yes, it's the discontinued CZ Woodcock. It's good on ducks and doves also, as well as clays. Lately, it's been about the only gun I want to take out.

Randy

28 for turkey? Never even considered that.

antnye

if you're going for lightweight wouldn't a single barrel shotgun be better

Yes I've been considering that also. Thinking about picking one up to see how it'll pattern.

Another option I've seen is the Tristar viper auto. Weighs only 5lbs and is reasonably priced. Been reading mixed reviews though.

Timber1

BANNED
I like the way single shots and doubles lock up. I think you have a harder shooting gun due to the fact that you have no openings for gas to escape. I think Gadget is right on with his choice of turkey gun and the improvements he made with his 220's. I think he will probably sell them to me soon. :bounce:

antnye

That makes sense. Especially in a smaller gauge.

Ricks got those boom sticks finely tuned.:shoot:
He should sell them to you cheap. Tell him you'll give him 10$ a pound. :bounce:

cowhornedspike

Just got myself a Tristar 410 at 5.5 lbs. Going to pattern it as soon as this rain goes away. Have you looked at those in 28?

hawglips

Banned
If you're looking for LIGHT, and don't mind a single-shot, it doesn't get any lighter than this. GLS is shooting the fold-up Yildiz .410 with TSS, and has bonafide 40 yd range:

IMG_0086.JPG

burn_bird2.jpg

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Hal, the weight on the above .410 lock, stock, barrel, sling and red dot is 3 lbs., 9 oz. The next lightest turkey killer would be a machette. ;) Gil

Toddmann

If you're looking for LIGHT, and don't mind a single-shot, it doesn't get any lighter than this. GLS is shooting the fold-up Yildiz .410 with TSS, and has bonafide 40 yd range:

IMG_0086.JPG

burn_bird2.jpg

I bought one of these this past summer. May give it a try this spring.

Toddmann

Finally harvested one with the.410 on 4/22/15 @ 8:45 am. Shot him at 15 steps. It was an awesome hunt. Love toting this little gun.

Attachments

• 20150422_085835-1_resized.jpg
    20150422_085835-1_resized.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 740

Toddmann

It took a while to locate a Savage 220 28 gauge but I finally found one. Got it ready to hunt. The POA & POI are dead on so no sight needed for this one yet. Will be taking it to KY Thursday.

Attachments

• 20150428_183635-1_resized.jpg
    20150428_183635-1_resized.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 660

antnye

Sweet lookin pea shooters! Congrats!

I need to finish rounding up components so I can carry mine. I've been lazy and still carrying the 20.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Toddman, way to go on the .410 bird! That Savage 220 in 28 is a great find. What's the weight? Shooting 1 5/16 oz.? Pattern? Gil