Predator Hunting and Trapping All questions and answers for the newbie to the veteran

chewy32

Please correct me if im wrong. Just bought a couple mb's and just wanting to pass time and get rid of some yotes. I understand I have to put in for a free trappping license even though I have the life time fish and game licence. Im dont plan on selling any thing but my ? Is can put out my traps year around if I let every thing go but coyote's? Also how do you apply for the license you mail it in I guess?

j_seph

No idea other than you have to have a liscence to trap even if it's 1 or 2 traps for yotes to get rid of em. You also have to go by the trapping regs.

JonathonJEB

if you have never had a trapping liscense when you fill out the form do you leave blank the spot for trapper #.

JonathonJEB

Does anybody know the rules for trapping on National Forest, like is it legal all year for yotes? Also do you have to mark your traps to make them visible for everyone to see?

JonathonJEB

Thanks Childers. Also if anyone could give me and idea of how many pounds of wax does it take to cover a trap in a pot that is about the same size as one trap.

Marietta Mike

Noob Questions

1) Do you have to have a trappers license to set traps for coyotes with no intent to sell?

2) If you're targetting coyotes can you set traps that are larger than 5-7/8"?

3) If you catch anything other than a coyote do you have to let it go unharmed?

JonathonJEB

good question? you may have to post on the main forum and not in the newbe thread to get it answered. Im not 100% but im pretty sure that you have to have a liscense no matter what thats what it says on up the page.

moyehow

Anybody sell what they catch either for pelt or meat? If so how much for a coon how much for a yote? Got a friend who got some traps and was asking. I've trapped some coons but never sold any.

Does anybody want to answer this question or is it a secret?

Trackemdown85

I was told when I purchased my lifetime liscence that the only thing I would ever have to purchase again was a Duck stamp. But if I read correctly I DO have to purchase a trappers liscence. Also i plan on getting 2 MB 550's to start. How much dye and wax do i need for just 2? It doesn't seem too difficult to dye and wax but im green! Any tips are appreciated! Thanks

steeltrap

Coyote and Fox Trapping / Running Pens

I'll be Trapping Coyote and Fox in Ga. after Deer Season this year and wondered it you guys had a heads up on and Fox Pens I may could contact.

Thanks Much!

Matt

Big7

The Oracle
It is legal at night all year on private land. I'd suggest calling as I have never tried baiting a yote.

I know this is an old post and prolly answered before I
get to the end the thread so... Here goes.

You sure you can be hunting at night with a rifle and a spot light, night vision or whatever?

Don't sound like I want to try sell that story to DNR.

New to the game, need help

If you're from the area then you know, we have a terrible coyote problem in west georgia. We have a farm in bowden and are trying to work it into decent deer and turkey hunting land at the least. I've heard some different things, but looking for best tactics on some extermination such as times to hunt, best tactics and general understanding of the animal. Also interested on how to learn about curing the hides.
Any help is most appreciated

mpwarrak

Hunting coyotes is more of a sport than anything. You will get a couple if you're lucky and the rest will wise up. I had the coyotes around here running full blast if you so much as shone a light near them. If you really are serious about exterminating them and actually putting a dent into the population, you need to get into TRAPPING. Hire a trapper or do it yourself if you have time.

If you hunt them you will out in tons of hours and once you get 2 or 3 coyotes you might say "that put a dent in the population".
Not true. In the last 1.5 years I have killed 13 coyotes within 1/4 mile of my house, my neighbor has killed a couple, and another neighbor 3 or 4. And there are still plenty out there! And I haven't even tried that hard.

Not sure how many acres you have but If it has not been trapped I'll bet you can take 20-30 coyotes for every 100 acres you have (that's a guess, not based on any research)

Read about trapping here on the forum and give it a try.

Well, I myself am not very big on the idea of trapping. I don't want to kill coons, foxes or cats. Nor do I like to make an animal suffer for any prolonged amount of time. Not knocking anybody for doing it, i respect it especially being the ways of old. I catch your drift though on them catching onto the calling and shooting. I just want them to quit eating all the fawns! I've heard some other tactics that I believe are illegal, but I'm not willing to risk my hunting rights if I'm caught by GW