Whitetail State Harvests, Georgia in Top 5 for Buck, Doe, & Highest Fawn %, Jan. 2015

BornToHuntAndFish

Whitetail State Harvests, Georgia in Top 5 for Buck, Doe, & Highest Fawn %, Jan. 2015

In case you have not seen this . . .

Georgia is ranking high across the USA for whitetail harvests in 3 categories.

http://www.qdma.com/corporate/whitetail-report

Download QDMA's 2015 Whitetail Report (PDF; 68 pages)

Page 5
Georgia Top 5 Buck Harvest Pg5 QDMA2015.jpg

Page 8
Georgia Top 5 Doe Harvest Pg8 QDMA2015.jpg

Page 10
Georgia Top 5 Hi Fawn Harvest Pg10 QDMA2015.jpg

Page 5
Buck Harvest USA Pg5 QDMA2015.jpg

Page 9
Doe Harvest USA Pg9 QDMA2015.jpg

Page 11
Fawn Harvest USA Pg11 QDMA2015.jpg

Page 20
State Deer Herd Mgmt Strategies QDMA.jpg
States Deer Antlerless Harvest Chances QDMA.jpg

Last edited:
H

Hammer Spank

The same people crying about our lack of deer I'm sure too.:rolleyes:

livetohunt

Wait, this cant be right. Guys shooting all these deer in Georgia told me it is the coyotes getting all the deer..:shoot: The one category you really don't want to be in is one of the highest in buck harvest. That means a lot of young bucks are being shot. Does not surprise me that Georgia is in that list.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Wait, this cant be right. Guys shooting all these deer in Georgia told me it is the coyotes getting all the deer..:shoot: The one category you really don't want to be in is one of the highest in buck harvest. That means a lot of young bucks are being shot. Does not surprise me that Georgia is in that list.

Georgia has a high buck harvest because we are a big state with a relatively big deer population. Buck harvest per square mile and percent yearlings in the harvest are more appropriate for your argument.

PappyHoel

I'm not sure placing #1 in antlerless deer harvest is something to be proud of. IMO that can't last long.

Jeff Raines

Looks like Ga.hunters know that younger deer taste the best.

That is why we hunt.......... right?

shdw633

I'm not sure placing #1 in antlerless deer harvest is something to be proud of. IMO that can't last long.

It's lasted for at least 15 years and more? As long as I have been hunting Georgia the limit as been at least 3 does per season and over a decade of 10 does if I recall correctly.

Esau

Deer Harvest

These numbers make the solution to declining deer numbers easy. As hunters we can't depend on the government to protect the resource we love, it is up to us as hunters to police ourselves and our ranks. Someone here on the forum has the quote " Limit your hunt don't hunt your limit". We need to limit the number of antlerless deer we shoot. Very few families need to take 10-12 deer per year. Limit yourselves and put pressure on those you hunt with to take fewer antlerless deer, (only take what you need). Put in limits of antlerless deer for your clubs and leases, report poachers. Let's take the responsibility to protect our deer into our own hands.

HOBO

Ga's deer population

LIVETOHUNT

Georgia ranks about 50% by size, so not really a true statement.

....... Taken into perspective your statement isn't much better...

Georgia is the biggest state east of the Mississippi River,,,,,, and it is a commonly acknowledged fact that the whitetail deer population is denser in the eastern half of the USA....

--------<" ){{{{><

Jeff Phillips

Georgia hunters are killing more does than even Texas and folks come on here to claim the buck to doe ratio is still out of whack!

Biologically and mathematically impossible, but their game camera proves it:rolleyes:

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Seems anybody can look at the data and confirm their suspicions. The only thing that really matters to the individual is what's happenning on their particular hunting ground.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I hunted 5 different properties in 3 areas of the state last year, and saw 5 different situations. I think the state is way to diverse to apply statewide trends to local realities.

biggdogg

These numbers make the solution to declining deer numbers easy. As hunters we can't depend on the government to protect the resource we love, it is up to us as hunters to police ourselves and our ranks. Someone here on the forum has the quote " Limit your hunt don't hunt your limit". We need to limit the number of antlerless deer we shoot. Very few families need to take 10-12 deer per year. Limit yourselves and put pressure on those you hunt with to take fewer antlerless deer, (only take what you need). Put in limits of antlerless deer for your clubs and leases, report poachers. Let's take the responsibility to protect our deer into our own hands.

The Ga legislature gave the hunting public that very opportunity by giving them a 10 doe limit. Some areas can stand that type of harvest and some areas can't. Obviously in many areas, Hunter Joe has failed miserably in managing his resource.

rstallings1979

I agree a young deer does taste the best and if my hunting properties have room for a young doe kill I will take one or two a year. If the deer sightings are down in person & on camera I will not take any that year.

I have a job and I use the money I make to feed my family. I do not depend on my hobby/passion to feed my family because I want my son & daughters to have deer to hunt in 30 or 40 years. Steaks/Salmon & Chicken are sold everyday in the Grocery Store & meat markets. Some have very high quality meats as well.

Flaustin1

I don't see how those numbers are accurate. Ive never been polled on how many deer I killed. Don't personally know anybody that has either.

FlipKing

I've never seen a spike have fawns. Could care less about young bucks compared to does. Killing a spike has the smallest impact on a herd. It's the do harvest part is the issue. Does have bucks...