Dog Food

rnelson5

Thanks for the wealth of info guys. This Victor food. Do they make it in a puppy food?

Corn isn't good for dogs. They, like us, cannot digest it.

How are we arguing while saying almost the same thing? Corn should not be the first ingredient, but if it is second or third on the list, there is no need to get excited. Corn in dog food is like wheat in our diets; it gets inaccurately blamed for everything from gravity to naked babies. It is just a carb source and, yes, both dogs and people can digest starch, which is the primary carbohydrate in corn... ...as well as barley, peas, sweet potatoes, and any other non-grain carb option you find. On the other hand, cats don't metabolize carbohydrates well. Unlike dogs, they are obligate carnivores and use protein for energy, so they don't need corn, wheat, rice, etc in their diets. The confusion arises because while dogs burn carbs just fine, they also need high quality protein. The cheap feeds use just enough meat source protein and beet pulp to prop up the dismal protein content of the corn itself, but the protein quality is still inadequate. The "Hi Pro" Cheap feeds are loaded with even more beet pulp which gives the dogs horrible gas.

Nate

Scrapy

Banned
While times are good boys, let's feed'em lobster and caviar. BUT. Lets say when times gits hard again, and you need a workin dawg. See what I mean???? A "workin" dog that can't eat corn . HA HA HA HA HA HA HA .

Here is one old verse from a Depression Era song.

"I cooked some bisquit for my dog,
and laid them on the shelf.
Times got so hard I culled that dog,
and ate them buiscuits myself."

Scrapy

Banned
Costco brand. Filler free--no corn, no wheat, no byproducts. Wellness/Innova/Solid Gold quality at Iams prices.

If I am not mistaken, Costco is manufactured by Diamond or Vise versa. Diamond has had it's ups and downs , mostly because they paid for so called lyin high dollar coondogs that were not worth $50. Instead of court battles . They just paid up....One dog they paid $4,000 for was a road runner and got runned over and I know it and the fellow knows it. and it got it's deservins, it got run over out in the road rather than hunting and running a track. My cur coondogs were eating the same batch of Diamond Feed at the same time. I know the facts of the matter.

A 26/18 as a ratio of Protein to Fat suits me. A 30/20 is the same ratio/ration and suits me. I would expect to feed just a tiny bit less on a daily basis. But when I am hunting my "workin dogs " hard in Winter, It does not bother me to double what feed goes in their pan. You look at them and you can tell, and if you can't , you just can't.

Last edited:

Scrapy

Banned
Way back yander when deer hunting was a Big Deal. A magazine writer wrote crazy stuff about local dogs and local deer and local hunters. Times have now past and the writer has already proven hisself to be a stupid idiot. Time tells.

riverbank

I have heard lots of good things about the victor dog food. I have not tried it myself. Ihave tried lots and lots of other feeds, some that have been mentioned and some tthat have not . I will say this.... I feed diamond dog food. The naturals line of it. I have 6 dogs in my yard and they all look awesome. Very little stool, very solid build, and a nice coat on them all. When we are working hard I will step them up to the diamond naturals extreme athlete . When were not doing much it'sdiamond nnaturals beef and lamb. I get it from my feed store for around 33 a bag. Tractor supply ccarries it but it's WAY Higher there.

GA DAWG

I have heard lots of good things about the victor dog food. I have not tried it myself. Ihave tried lots and lots of other feeds, some that have been mentioned and some tthat have not . I will say this.... I feed diamond dog food. The naturals line of it. I have 6 dogs in my yard and they all look awesome. Very little stool, very solid build, and a nice coat on them all. When we are working hard I will step them up to the diamond naturals extreme athlete . When were not doing much it'sdiamond nnaturals beef and lamb. I get it from my feed store for around 33 a bag. Tractor supply ccarries it but it's WAY Higher there.
$5 off a bag this week on naturals.

gemcgrew

Ol Roy

"There's no scientific evidence that any food is better than the next. Pets can thrive on inexpensive food or become ill from pricey food. If your animal is active and healthy, the food is doing its job. A higher price could mean better ingredients and better quality control during and after manufacturing. But you might also be paying for pretty packaging, marketing, or a fancy name". (Joseph Wakshlag, D.V.M., Ph.D., an assistant professor of clinical nutrition at the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine)

Joe Overby

Victor puppy is not a 33/15. It is a 30/20. I don't like putting that much protein through a puppy's kidneys. I feed the 24/20 for every dog from puppy to senior.

Joe Overby

I but victor by the pallet. I've never seen that food available in any store. Furthermore, my distributor cannot even get it. I asked this am. If you're buying victor puppy in georgia it's either 30/20 or the all life stages 26/18 in the purple bag.

Water Swat

feed whatever makes them poop firm and small. has lots of energy. and looks good. for me its Sportmix for 80% of my dogs now. I have a few that are on different stuff but the majority are doing well on the Sportmix from Tractor Supply. I just despise our closest tractor supply and go up to a different one and stock up once a month.

Scrapy

Banned
feed whatever makes them poop firm and small. has lots of energy. and looks good. for me its Sportmix for 80% of my dogs now. I have a few that are on different stuff but the majority are doing well on the Sportmix from Tractor Supply. I just despise our closest tractor supply and go up to a different one and stock up once a month.

Lots of folks are small and firm poop counters that kick passings out the trailorhouse door or else it is bad feed. I have working dogs that stay in big pens on the ground and not in the house. So, CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored don't matter much to me. I Am in the south with warm soil and lot of soil micro organisms to break down poop. You won't find a three day old poop in my pen after 25 years of it in the same big ground pens. Give me a better reason for sprtmix or any other kind of feed, fancy or not, politically correct or not.

Scrapy

Banned
A 30 /20 is high% for anything but winter and working real hard . A 24 /18 is good therefore a 12/9 is good if you feed twice as much and if 24/18 cost $25 and you can get 12/9 for $12.50 then its the same if you feed twice as much just expect twice as much poop.

If you could get a 60/40 and feed a half a cup instead ed of two, the dogs would meet you at the gate barking, "For goodness sakes man , throw me a bale of hay or a pot of grits, I got to get my stomach off my back bone". But you say, "No. I am a great believer in small, firm ones".

Water Swat

poop firm and small. has lots of energy. and looks good.

Give me a better reason for sprtmix or any other kind of feed, fancy or not, politically correct or not.

I gave you 3. i may not be as highly educated and as great a communicator as you. I'm not a scientist or dog food Dr.
I can give you what I can see. What comes back out after they eat it. how it effects their energy, and what they look like.

I would guess mine are a little more active than your working dogs that are sitting in a pen most days.

GA DAWG

Scrapy thats how I see it to. Ive said all along all these new fangled feeds are money gimmicks. I was sucked in on em :D Course mines cheap cheap. I cant tell any difference. Best feed I think Ive fed is Blackgold. I started buying it it was $13 a bag. I quit it was 29.50 and it went up pretty darn fast at that. Main reason I quit though was every bag had about 3 different kinds of food it. I kept telling them and telling them. Nobody would fix it. So most around here stopped feeding it. Plus they blamed all the rise in cost on fuel costs. Well fuel aint as high as it was. The dog food didnt come back down. I can get victor right up above the house for 33 a bag. Is that high or about right? Any of yall know?