Good stream for brook trout

jigman29

Doubt anyone here will name one. They are well kept secrets among fishermen. Get a map of the national forest in the mountains and start exploring streams in steep and rugged country. I have done this for years and even if they don't have fish I have a ball.

lampern

Chattahoochee River headwaters.

There are brook trout there.

The book Trout Fishing in North Georgia by Jimmy Jacobs covers several brook trout areas.

Gvegas12

Fairly new to fly fishing have fallen in love with it but still learning! Are native brook trout tricky and do you really have to match the hatch well? And if you don't mind sharing do you have a few favorite flies to use during spring and summer?

greg_n_clayton

I can tell ya that I have spent a lot of time on my hands and knees crawling up to a creek bank just to get a glimpse of them scattering !! It takes a lot of practice to catch a pocket full !!

greg_n_clayton

As far as somebody up here telling ya their spots, that won't happen !! Ole jigman29 is my neighbor, he will go by is self and nearly kill his self on a set waterfalls before he will take or tell his neighbor where he going !! Ask him !! He posted the pics and told the story on Facebook !!

Big7

The Oracle
Try Betty's Creek. Small water and the fish are eating size.

Doubt you will catch a monster there though.

Close as you are, it would be worth a try to me.

Ps.. It's shallow enough you don't need waders.
Pair of shorts and some old tenni' shoes, you will be good to go.

Big7

The Oracle
Rooster tails. For casting with no frills....

Clear bobber with the water inlet to get the
buoyancy and casting distance you need.
(works like a charm)

Live is better, if not, you can put a short of floating fly line and a
leader on and pretty much do what you want. Including a fly.

Just me, maybe, leave the fly rod home.

You can make better time and coverage with a spinning reel.

Be careful where you use live bait though..

GOOD LUCK!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Fairly new to fly fishing have fallen in love with it but still learning! Are native brook trout tricky and do you really have to match the hatch well? And if you don't mind sharing do you have a few favorite flies to use during spring and summer?

Specks will eat almost anything that comes floating down the creek as long as they don't see you cast it. In other words, they aren't picky at all about flies, but they are easily spooked by vibrations, shadows, and such. Any bushy, high-floating dry fly will catch them, especially if it has some yellow and gray in it. The main challenge to catching native brookies is finding them and figuring out how to get a fly on the water in those rhododendron tunnels. Nobody is going to tell you where to find them, that's part of the experience, finding your own speck creeks.

bigchooch58

okay i live in texas now so i will share a spot with yall / on dicks creek go past waters creek and pass the spot where the creek curves next to the road from that hole go up stream to where the little creek coming off the mountain dumps into dicks go up that little creek at first it dont look like it holds fish but further up it becomes little holes going down and lot of little brook trout most are like 6 " but the colors on these little fish are so cool

crackerdave

Just my two cents worth:
Native trout should be left alone,out of respect for the native humans.

Fletch_W

Banned
Brook trout are not only delicious, they reproduce quickly in those little streams and it's a good practice to keep a few each time you go. The best way is with little tiny hooks baited with whatever you find under the leaves in the area. The indians used to poison whole streams for a bounty of delicious brookies for the year, and like crop rotation, move on to another stream the next year and a few years later come back to the first stream and get them all again.

The best creek to get them is pretty much any creek over 3500 elevation. Find a topo map online and find public water over that elevation that is little, and wear them out.

tree cutter 08

They are good eating. Right below the speck line you will catch lots of native rainbows and Brown's. I don't eat stock pellet fed trout. On the other hand I might keep a few limits of fish a year or might not keep a one. The good Lord put them here for us to enjoy.